Water Fast and Christmas Past

BloodThirsty

Thank you everyone for your kind words of caution. Although I am unduly obsessive I will not continue past the point that I feel unwell. I am now well into day 2 and am feeling absolutely fine and up for it.

Interestingly, my blood glucose yesterday bedtime was 5.2 yet 5.7 upon waking. By the end of this exercise I should have a much clearer idea of the dawn phenomena influence on my own metabolism.

I will sign in tomorrow AM with my bedtime and waking readings along with my weight.
It is the start of Day 3 and I have put my nose over the parapet for a weigh-in and blood measure.

My weight is 71.6 kgs and my FBG is 4.4, the lowest I have ever recorded. Last night's bedtime reading was also 4.4 so, like @CherryAA my dawn phenomena effect appears to have vanished following a couple of days of water fasting.

I feel really energetic so I will take a brisk walk into town if the rain holds off. I am not hungry in the least and my only mild discomfort is the lack of bowel movement since Day 1.

Tonight I will take a keto reading and report tomorrow AM along with the other measures.

BTW I am on absolutely no diabetic medication or statins, my single pill being an alpha blocker (Doxazosin) for a dodgy prostate (the trials and tribulations of being an old fart).

Reactions: Hobo1978 and Ponchu
M

Member496333

Good going!

In my experience dawn phenomenon disappears when you ruthlessly purge glucose/glycogen from the body rather than “eating to the meter”.

Keep us posted. Reading with interest :)

Reactions: BloodThirsty

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done and thank you for the graphs.
It will be interesting to see if my own dawn phenomena drops off as yours has.
I am presently writing from a mobile phone so I will open your post later on a tablet to take a better look at your results.
BTW did you hit any walls during your fast?

To be honest having decided to do it, it was actually very easy, I find it easier to eat NOTHING than to choose. In practise nothing is a binary decision so once you begin the determination gets better rather than worse as each hour passes.
I also did it with a friend and that worked very well as we encouraged each other.
I am considering increasing it by another day or two next time round.

Reactions: Ponchu

BloodThirsty

It is the start of Day 3 and I have put my nose over the parapet for a weigh-in and blood measure.

My weight is 71.6 kgs and my FBG is 4.4, the lowest I have ever recorded. Last night's bedtime reading was also 4.4 so, like @CherryAA my dawn phenomena effect appears to have vanished following a couple of days of water fasting.

I feel really energetic so I will take a brisk walk into town if the rain holds off. I am not hungry in the least and my only mild discomfort is the lack of bowel movement since Day 1.

Tonight I will take a keto reading and report tomorrow AM along with the other measures.

BTW I am on absolutely no diabetic medication or statins, my single pill being an alpha blocker (Doxazosin) for a dodgy prostate (the trials and tribulations of being an old fart).
It is now Day 4.

My weight is 70.6 kgs and my FBG is once again 4.4. Last night's reading was 4.5 so I appear to have stabalised at this level... certainly no hint of the usual dawn phenomena. Ketones were 3.5.

I remain energetic and in no way hungry.

Possibly information overload but there is definitely a vast improvement in one aspect of my health.

I suffer from BPH (don't snigger young bucks because you're probably gonna get it some day). One of the unfortunate side effects is "urge incontinence" which means when you gotta go... you gotta go **** quick.

Despite 2 litres of water a day (a lot for me) I am having no such urges and am even sleeping through the night without the usual nocturnal visit to the loo.

This, in itself, is making the whole exercise worthwhile. More tomorrow!

Ponchu

The more you describe your medical condition the more I wonder if this fast w autophagy is a great way for you to go.

It’s inspiring.

BloodThirsty

The more you describe your medical condition the more I wonder if this fast w autophagy is a great way for you to go.

It’s inspiring.
Thank you @Pinching.

I obviously respect a theory that recently gained a Noble prize, but for whatever reason one aspect of my health has dramatically improved.

Apparently the prostate may be irritated by various things we eat and drink and therefore, by abstaining, I am purging myself of anything remotely toxic... thus accounting for the improvement.

However, I would like to hope that this is more than temporary, so the notion that autophagy is causing my benign hyperplasia cells to be digested is very appealing.

Here's hoping!

BloodThirsty

Thank you @Pinching.

I obviously respect a theory that recently gained a Noble prize, but for whatever reason one aspect of my health has dramatically improved.

Apparently the prostate may be irritated by various things we eat and drink and therefore, by abstaining, I am purging myself of anything remotely toxic... thus accounting for the improvement.

However, I would like to hope that this is more than temporary, so the notion that autophagy is causing my benign hyperplasia cells to be digested is very appealing.

Here's hoping!
Sorry @Poncho. Bloody predictive text can be a pain in the proverbial.

BloodThirsty

It is now Day 4.

My weight is 70.6 kgs and my FBG is once again 4.4. Last night's reading was 4.5 so I appear to have stabalised at this level... certainly no hint of the usual dawn phenomena. Ketones were 3.5.

I remain energetic and in no way hungry.

Possibly information overload but there is definitely a vast improvement in one aspect of my health.

I suffer from BPH (don't snigger young bucks because you're probably gonna get it some day). One of the unfortunate side effects is "urge incontinence" which means when you gotta go... you gotta go **** quick.

Despite 2 litres of water a day (a lot for me) I am having no such urges and am even sleeping through the night without the usual nocturnal visit to the loo.

This, in itself, is making the whole exercise worthwhile. More tomorrow!
It is now Day 5.

Weight is 69.8 kgs (luvverly) and my FBG is 4.3. Last night's was 3.9 which was my first time in the 3's (I know it's probably due to spec variance but I love it). Ketones were 7.2 last evening which is a considerable jump from the previous reading.

Took a brisk walk yesterday for 90 minutes and one this morning for 45.
Apart from slight muscle weakness I feel very alert and certainly capable of performing my usual day-to-day tasks.
From a wellbeing viewpoint, urge incontinence remains totally absent and I in no way feel tempted to eat and scupper the benefits.

All's good... so onwards and upwards!

Reactions: Ponchu and Chook

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is now Day 5.

Weight is 69.8 kgs (luvverly) and my FBG is 4.3. Last night's was 3.9 which was my first time in the 3's (I know it's probably due to spec variance but I love it). Ketones were 7.2 last evening which is a considerable jump from the previous reading.

Apart from slight muscle weakness I feel very alert and certainly capable of performing my usual day-to-day tasks.
From a wellbeing viewpoint, urge incontinence remains totally absent and I in no way feel tempted to eat and scupper the benefits.

Good on you sir and nice numbers!

BloodThirsty

It is now Day 5.

Day 6 so nearly half-way through.

FBG is again 4.4 and last nights reading was 4.7. Considering I am "nil by mouth" (water excepted) it is interesting that my fasting glucose is absolutely unwaivering whereas my bedtime readings jump around a bit. It used to be the other way round owing to the typical dawn phenomenon issue.

Keytones are 6.9 but I regrettably can't record my weight as I stayed overnight in a hotel and there were no scales and no bloody bottled water either.

Everything good so far!

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good going!

In my experience dawn phenomenon disappears when you ruthlessly purge glucose/glycogen from the body rather than “eating to the meter”.

Keep us posted. Reading with interest :)
I do hard core Keto...and It obliterated my DP.
I not only chase the BG readings, I keep my insulin at an as low and still be alive level as possible as I can.
Keeping my Insulin real low has meant I can eat protein in stupid proportions if I so choose, whenever my gluttonous alter ego makes an appearance.

BloodThirsty

I do hard core Keto...and It obliterated my DP.
I not only chase the BG readings, I keep my insulin at an as low and still be alive level as possible as I can.
Keeping my Insulin real low has meant I can eat protein in stupid proportions if I so choose, whenever my gluttonous alter ego makes an appearance.
Thank you @brassyblonde900.

I do endeavour to minimise my carb intake but I definitely need to tweak something as dawn phenomenon was an annoyingly regular occurrence before the fast.

Perhaps, as @Jim Lahey proposes, I have been overdoing the protein and (I quote) "unlike glucose, the body has no mechanism by which to store the “excess” protein. The unused amino acids must either be excreted by the kidneys in urine, or reconstructed into glucose by the liver and sent out into the bloodstream".

However, whatever you're doing you're doing very well and I take my hat off to you.

BloodThirsty

Day 6 so nearly half-way through.

FBG is again 4.4 and last nights reading was 4.7. Considering I am "nil by mouth" (water excepted) it is interesting that my fasting glucose is absolutely unwaivering whereas my bedtime readings jump around a bit. It used to be the other way round owing to the typical dawn phenomenon issue.

Keytones are 6.9 but I regrettably can't record my weight as I stayed overnight in a hotel and there were no scales and no bloody bottled water either.

Everything good so far!
Day 7 and it's a beautiful day outside.

Weight is 68.3 kgs so I've lost a tad under 5 kgs in 6 days. I haven't been this light in 50 years and I believe i can even see my stomach muscles (you've just gotta love an optimist).
FBG is 4.6 while the earlier bedtime reading was 4.3. Ketones were 7.4.

The slightly disappointing news is that I have been invited to a Chinese banquet in London next Saturday, so I will need to cut my intended fast from 12 to 11 days to allow me one full day of refeeding before the event.

Anyhow, I continue to feel energetic and mentally clear... in other words I feel great!

BloodThirsty

Day 7 and it's a beautiful day outside.

Weight is 68.3 kgs so I've lost a tad under 5 kgs in 6 days. I haven't been this light in 50 years and I believe i can even see my stomach muscles (you've just gotta love an optimist).
FBG is 4.6 while the earlier bedtime reading was 4.3. Ketones were 7.4.

The slightly disappointing news is that I have been invited to a Chinese banquet in London next Saturday, so I will need to cut my intended fast from 12 to 11 days to allow me one full day of refeeding before the event.

Anyhow, I continue to feel energetic and mentally clear... in other words I feel great!
Day 8 and late on parade having idled away two hours of my day in my lad's jacuzzi.

Anyhow, weight is totally unchanged at 68.3 kgs, but I'm not complaining... just wondering.
FBG is 4.3 and was 4.4 at bedtime.
Ketones are 7.3.

Thinking now about refeeding this coming Friday.
My thoughts are that, as I am fully fat adapted, I should commence with mostly fatty foods such as mashed avacado, Brie cheese, and maybe a couple of fried eggs for a little protein as well.
Any further ideas gratefully received.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Day 8 and late on parade having idled away two hours of my day in my lad's jacuzzi.

Anyhow, weight is totally unchanged at 68.3 kgs, but I'm not complaining... just wondering.
FBG is 4.3 and was 4.4 at bedtime.
Ketones are 7.3.

Thinking now about refeeding this coming Friday.
My thoughts are that, as I am fully fat adapted, I should commence with mostly fatty foods such as mashed avacado, Brie cheese, and maybe a couple of fried eggs for a little protein as well.
Any further ideas gratefully received.
Start small would be my advice.. a little nibble of something to get things started up then a bigger meal a couple of hours later.. I once ended a 7 day fast with a full on keto sunday lunch which led to all sorts of problems..in the digestive area..

BloodThirsty

Start small would be my advice.. a little nibble of something to get things started up then a bigger meal a couple of hours later.. I once ended a 7 day fast with a full on keto sunday lunch which led to all sorts of problems..in the digestive area..
Thank you for the advice.
I will do precisely as you suggest and start small.

I will, however, need to be fighting fit for a Chinese banquet 33 hours later and these guys really don't mess around.

If you've ever tasted Moutai you will know what I mean. Rumour has it that they use this as fuel for their IBM's.