Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Alexandra100 Unsure why this subject matter bothers you ? You do not have a diabetic diagnosis yet alone an insulin dependent condition where carb values are of a paramount importance and can either mean a hypo of hyper, please do not respond to insulin dependent diabetic threads which bear no relevance to you.

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Alexandra100 Unsure why this subject matter bothers you ? You do not have a diabetic diagnosis yet alone an insulin dependent condition where carb values are of a paramount importance and can either mean a hypo of hyper, please do not respond to insulin dependent diabetic threads which bear no relevance to you.

That's a bit sharp! So it's that the new rule then? We can only respond to threads that apply directly to us?

Reactions: Alexandra100

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Alexandra100 thank you for your comments, however why again you feel it necessary to respond to a type 1 thread when you do not have a diabetes diagnosis does not quite make sense. In these circumstances my bg levels dropped to near hypo levels and the discussion here is for insulin dependent diabetics to comment on similar circumstances where product labelling was incorrect and meant a miscalculation with insulin, something which can be very dangerous.

Post edited.

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alexandra100 thank you for your comments, however why again you feel it necessary to respond to a type 1 thread when you do not have a diabetes diagnosis does not quite make sense. In these circumstances my bg levels dropped to near hypo levels and the discussion here is for insulin dependent diabetics to comment on similar circumstances where product labelling was incorrect and meant a miscalculation with insulin, something which can be very dangerous.
Maybe the thread title could have been more specific?

*Edited by a mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Alexandra100 thank you for Your comments, however why again you feel it necessary to respond to a type 1 thread when you do not have a diabetes diagnosis does not quite make sense. In these circumstances my bg levels dropped to near hypo levels and the discussion here is for insulin dependent diabetics to comment on similar circumstances where product labelling was incorrect and meant a miscalculation with insulin, something which can be very dangerous.
I did already apologise for getting carried away, and I do appreciate that for T1s diabetes can be an immediate a life and death problem, whereas for T2s the threat of death and complications is more long-term. I am not the only person not diagnosed as T1 to have posted on this thread.

*Edited by a mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Maybe the thread title could have been more specific?

Agree however it was posted in the type 1 forum to make it relevant to other type 1's.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think death is fairly long term whatever diagnosis you have.o_O

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I did already apologise for getting carried away, and I do appreciate that for T1s diabetes can be an immediate a life and death problem, whereas for T2s the threat of death and complications is more long-term. I am not the only person not diagnosed as T1 to have posted on this thread.

Again @Alexandra100 as you are not diabetic this subject is not relevant to you, apologies if I sounded sharp earlier @mahola my thread was meant for insulin dependants sharing similar experiences with product labelling and bolus miscalculations something I didn't feel was relevant for non diabetics to comment on but meant purely for insulin dependent diabetics who have suffered similar situations with. As this can impact on our well being I felt it appropriate to discuss here.

It's not a dietary discussion either so please feel free to share your experiences here, hope this is a little clearer now.

Reactions: therower

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just don't see the issue. The poster wasn't commenting on insulin doses etc, they just commented about how they too had been caught out with incorrect food labelling. Different outcome I know but still. I just think it was uncalled for. We're all just trying to swim through this quagmire that is life.

But food labelling is rubbish in general. I need to go back to college to do maths GCSE again just to work out the carb contents on some packaging. I detest it when it says "per 100g" and the whole pack is something stupid like 76.23569g. ***!! :grumpy:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
What I see from the thread is the probable bad out come to a very low BS, a hypo, regarding wrong nutritional values, meaning carbs and the amount of Insulin we need to take.
Getting back to the thread, half a can of soup, from a 400 gram tin is roughly, 10 to 14 carbs. I would need 2 units for that, less for homemade, but I haven't made any soup this year, yet, but hope to.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I just don't see the issue. The poster wasn't commenting on insulin doses etc, they just commented about how they too had been caught out with incorrect food labelling. Different outcome I know but still. I just think it was uncalled for. We're all just trying to swim through this quagmire that is life.

But food labelling is rubbish in general. I need to go back to college to do maths GCSE again just to work out the carb contents on some packaging. I detest it when it says "per 100g" and the whole pack is something stupid like 76.23569g. ***!! :grumpy:

Food labeling is a minefield, I look for gluten wheat barley rye and oats first, then the carbs, the per 100g is ridiculous at times.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being caught out with incorrect labelling means to a type 1 either going high/low, something which a non diabetic has no concept of, hence my insistence on ensuring relevance.

Of course I'd much rather be non diabetic and questioning food labelling but then why would I comment on a type 1 thread ? To be fair if I didn't have type 1 I wouldn't be anywhere near a diabetic forum.

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being caught out with incorrect labelling means to a type 1 either going high/low, something which a non diabetic has no concept of, hence my insistence on ensuring relevance.

Of course I'd much rather be non diabetic and questioning food labelling but then why would I comment on a type 1 thread ? To be fair if I didn't have type 1 I wouldn't be anywhere near a diabetic forum.

You know I would LOVE to have never even heard of this place or needed it. I'm still hoping that the hospital will ring me and say they have made a big mistake. Even now, 3 years down the line. Not going to happen though I fear!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi people.

Posts have been deleted on this topic for referencing foodstuffs not even bought, let alone consumed & testing the effects on BG.
Whatever type. The carb savvy is welcome to contribute regarding the consiquences of misaligned food labelling to the product.

Any further hijacking or derailment will have ramifications.

Thanks.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The issues in this thread make a strong argument for all T1s getting cgm.

We're supposed to keep our bg in a tight range, and do that with strips, which just give a brief glimpse every now and then, along with deep uncertainties about the reliability of carb counts.

It's no wonder we screw up a lot on strips alone. Anyone would with the limited insight which strips give and guestimated carb counts.

With cgm, though, what you get is something like this: you read the carb count on the pack, or eye-ball the meal in a restaurant, maybe cross-check against Carbs & Cals, apply a bit of native T1 instinct based on past experience of similar meals, make a judgment call on the dose and timing, see how it pans out, the cgm will give you clues about an hour later whether it was a good or bad call, you can then tweak/nudge with 2u or a 10g Kinder Bueno or confectionary of your choice before it gets messy.

Can't do that with strips.

The data coming out of NHS Lothian, where libre is freely prescribed to any T1 who wants it, is reporting that patients are not only safely dropping their a1cs, but are also happier.

As one of those patients, I can honestly say that one of the reasons I'm happier is that when I'm faced with an uncertain carb count situation, I know that I can wing it a bit with a reasonable guess from C&C and some instinct, and still know that even if I get it wrong, the cgm will give me a heads up on sorting it long before it gets messy.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Agree however it was posted in the type 1 forum to make it relevant to other type 1's.

The title of your thread is informative to us type 1's. It draws you to the content, so I don't think anything needs changing :)

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Always keep a calculator handy!
Is that per 100g before or after cooking though?

Whilst I'm happy we get some information I would appreciate it if the labelling regulations applied to all goods. Tesco was one of the only places to get values for some fresh products but I've noticed they've been removing them recently.

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Always keep a calculator handy!
Is that per 100g before or after cooking though?

I always have a calculator on my phone so we're ok. It's just annoying! I like simplicity.