What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone, a 5.2 at 0600.
Boiling up some chaga tea at present. My first infusion so looking forward to tasting it. Will it be as interesting as matcha?

interesting..tea drinker here..what are these teas, could you maybe describe the flavours and benefits, please.:D
googled and i do drink green tea, but not every day, mix my drinks up now with hot lemon, ginger tea home made,
another choice would be nice..(miss my masala chai )

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 6.4 from me. I forgot to test first thing, did 15 mins mindfulness meditation followed by some stretches and sit ups before I remembered. It’s odd how a very small change in routine throws everything out of kilter. I must be a real creature of habit.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
8.0 this morning. I haven't done my sofa gym workout the past couple of days...and it shows on the meter! Digging out some other leg weights I have today in an attempt to clear out some of those sugars in my muscles! All well otherwise. I love looking out the window at the frost in the garden. I keep thinking that it will not be long before I start off my seeds for the garden. Happy Monday everyone.

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Morning everyone 4.8 today I’m heading to Newcastle today to see my lung transplant drs tomorrow I’m really not I the mood to go as I feel horribly sick but at least i can get my lungs a chest looked at. Have a good day everyone

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning everyone 4.8 today I’m heading to Newcastle today to see my lung transplant drs tomorrow I’m really not I the mood to go as I feel horribly sick but at least i can get my lungs a chest looked at. Have a good day everyone

best of luck @Ziggy2017 on the trip over
hope all goes really well. and the sickness passes quickly.

you've had a bad run already, lately it seems
time for things to turn around for you, me thinks.

Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Roulis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 5.7 for me first thing. I am good with that. The lowest reading I have had first thing was 5.4, with the highest being at 6.8. So far, 3 and half months after my diagnosis with T2, I haven't seen levels in the 4s first thing in the morning.You all have a good day! Theo

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
interesting..tea drinker here..what are these teas, could you maybe describe the flavours and benefits, please.:D
googled and i do drink green tea, but not every day, mix my drinks up now with hot lemon, ginger tea home made,

I like masala chai and several of my Indian friends in London send it to me from time to time, curtesy of their mums and sometimes grandmothers.

Always liked both Chinese and Japanese green teas and like the idea of a strong pot in the morning, gradually getting weaker through the day as you make more infusions.

Matcha just means “powdered tea”, it’s the stuff you see in Japan, whisked to a froth into hot (not boiling) water with a brush. So a bit more of a zing to it than normal Japanese green tea and a bit more grassy in flavour. Reminds me of that umami flavour that you get with wakame seawead.
I take a lot of the health benefits with a pinch of salt but evidently matcha is rich in antioxidants called polyphenols, which have been tied to protection against heart disease and cancer, as well as better blood sugar regulation, blood pressure reduction, and anti-aging.

Chaga is a fungus that grows on birch trees. Not sure if you can compare the flavour but I find it pleasant enough. I buy it on line as small chunks a bit like very course ground coffee and it is infused in near boiling water slowly bubbling for about 40 minutes then strained. You can use the chunks several times similar to green tea leaves.
Chaga is packed full of vitamins and minerals and again, supposed health benefits include being anti anti inflammatory so helping with such things as arthritis, boosting immune system and perhaps helping with blood sugars. Never quite sure about all this stuff as it seems to be either rat studies or the cacklings of strangely dressed folk passing down ancient wisdom.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
All the best with that @Ziggy2017 and hope that the people at Newcastle can sort you out.
Seems strange that a transplant can cause diabetes but I have a friend who also experienced this. Is it the anti-rejection drugs?

Reactions: HarryBeau

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ziggy2017 wishing you all the best, hope the journey is ok and the hospital can help you to get better soon.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jjraak
Forgot to mention, but if you like masala chai then you might like tumeric tea.
Easy to make and very pleasant. You do need tumeric root rather than the powder. I buy it in bulk online and store in the freezer.
Basically; grate one tumeric tuber, a big thumb chunk of ginger and a good teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper (this to act as a catalyst to release the nutrients). Add boiling water and simmer for about 30 minutes and then let go cold then strain.
I do a litre at a time, store in the fridge and have a warm glass of it each morning. Helps with my arthritis.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.7 with a lovely full moon outside in the rose-and-grey reflection of the sunrise. I love lovely mornings.

I was up 'til 3 this morning, and a little after 2 I ate a bowl of oatmeal with walnuts, dark chocolate, and a little peanut butter.
If there is no evidence of correlation between the cholesterol and fat we eat and the amount of cholesterol in our blood, then maybe I can rely on the evidence that the amount of glucose in my blood is determined from day to day by the wing movements of butterflies in the Southeast Pacific as much as it is by whether I eat black walnuts or English ones in oatmeal or in the coating of a fish filet.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I just found some nice Twinings black tea last week -- a blend of Kenya, Indonesia, Assam, and China teas, all in a convenient teabag labeled "English Breakfast." Sometime after I bought it I read that green tea may be better for me, but I love black tea and Darjeeling can't be decaffeinated. And I've been wanting to try some Assam.

My next experiment will be with red bush tea, which I first read about on this BB. Roibos, it's called over here.

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hope all goes well.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all,

I've just had a break in Maderia, thanks to my local Maderian cafe who lent me their house and easy jet flights which were less traumatic than I remembered. Anyhow got back yesterday and didn't log in but woke to a 6 and today for reasons I dont understand have a 6.4. , maybe the supper was a little late, I'll have to have a word with the staff. Anyhow really cold round here but at least the roads are fairly horizontal here , unlike the 30 + degrees of slope in Madeira . Stay warm all...
Good to see you back Orson.

Reactions: ziggy_w and jjraak

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear how poorly you feel Ziggy...good luck for tomorrow & hope the trip is not too taxing

Last edited: