PORRIDGE made with water or low fat milk?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oats are packed with glucose, and they can spike later than 2 hours if they are slow-release i.e you test 2 hours after and you are a pleasing 6.5, but then it goes up later, unobserved.
If porridge doesn't spike you, then great, but I'd definitely tread carefully.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Not quite sure what the question is here but low fat generally means more carbs in most items so if you’re sticking with milk I’d go for full fat not skim. My bigger problem would be the oats.
I cannot take your advice for full fat because of CHF - I started porridge oats on hearing about the Starbucks Report and found that that breakfast was the only food to give me steady readings at c. 6+ until 5pm each day when I always take a late lunch (my main meal of the day) - I would very much like to be lower than that but as
soon as I enter the 5.0 category I start on the road to hypo - this has always been the case as long as I have been a diagnosed Diabetic. Also, porridge coincided with taking myself off Metformin when my bloods immediately STABILISED for the very first time! @HSSS - thank you so much for your input.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tested blood before a small pot of Porridge made with water and a sweetener (6.6), and after 13.8. Real shame...It was lovely. Guess I'll just stick with my egg on a slice of Bergen..
@*Anna
Burgen...I have eaten that in the past and quite liked it. Is that good for those with diabetic tendencies. Does it help.

Reactions: *Anna

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cannot take your advice for full fat because of CHF - I started porridge oats on hearing about the Starbucks Report and found that that breakfast was the only food to give me steady readings at c. 6+ until 5pm each day when I always take a late lunch (my main meal of the day) - I would very much like to be lower than that but as
soon as I enter the 5.0 category I start on the road to hypo - this has always been the case as long as I have been a diagnosed Diabetic. Also, porridge coincided with taking myself off Metformin when my bloods immediately STABILISED for the very first time! @HSSS - thank you so much for your input.
Sorry what’s CHF?

*Anna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@*Anna
Burgen...I have eaten that in the past and quite liked it. Is that good for those with diabetic tendencies. Does it help.

Hi @Listlad, I'm only just recently been diagnosed so it's a bit all new to me at the moment, trial and error! Bergen bread doesn't spike at all with me. It's linseed and soya bread, filling, low carb and high omega 3 (cholesterol lowering) and it's so nice!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Listlad, I'm only just recently been diagnosed so it's a bit all new to me at the moment, trial and error! Bergen bread doesn't spike at all with me. It's linseed and soya bread, filling, low carb and high omega 3 (cholesterol lowering) and it's so nice!
Me too. I am new to all this.

I used to regularly buy the Bergen bread just a few years ago but stopped for a couple of reasons. But I bought it because I enjoyed it.

Interesting to note that it doesn’t spike you. Thanks for that info.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may be lucky, hope for your sake it this, but rather than getting a nasty shock at some later point can I just check you’ve checked at several time intervals after eating the bread? Not just 2 hrs but 3 or even 4. For some people the spike still comes but later and if you’re not aware of that possibility you could be raising those levels up unknowingly than at hb1ac time have no idea why it’s higher than anticipated.

It’s not actually low carb per se. Just lower than normal for bread.

*Anna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may be lucky, hope for your sake it this, but rather than getting a nasty shock at some later point can I just check you’ve checked at several time intervals after eating the bread? Not just 2 hrs but 3 or even 4. For some people the spike still comes but later and if you’re not aware of that possibility you could be raising those levels up unknowingly than at hb1ac time have no idea why it’s higher than anticipated.

It’s not actually low carb per se. Just lower than normal for bread.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I don't have it daily, and it's 1.8g sugar per slice.I keep my carbs to around 15 per day (not sugar) and with the exception of that porridge, the Bergen slice, doesn't spike at all. Due end of Feb for my hb1ac, so it'll be interesting. I have learnt so much from these forums and website and really appreciate your support @HSSS X

Reactions: Listlad

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, thanks for your reply. I don't have it daily, and it's 1.8g sugar per slice.I keep my carbs to around 15 per day (not sugar) and with the exception of that porridge, the Bergen slice, doesn't spike at all. Due end of Feb for my hb1ac, so it'll be interesting. I have learnt so much from these forums and website and really appreciate your support @HSSS X

It’s 11.8g of carbs per slice (26.9%) and that’s what you need to see not the sugar. Pretty much ignore the sugar listings. All carbs matter. I’m surprised if you get no high spikes at all at any time from it but pleased for you - and jealous - if that’s the case

http://burgenbread.com/breads/soya-linseed

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

As @HSSS says, I don't think you are counting your carbohydrates correctly.

If I read you correctly you are having 11.8 grams of carbohydrate from the slice of bread, then considerably more from the porridge. This disregards whatever else you eat during the day. So I suspect that your carbs are well above 15 (grams) per day.

Could you, perhaps, post what a normal day's food is for you to give us a better idea?

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Sorry what’s CHF?
@HSSS - sorry, have not been back until now - CHF - is the very common heart ailment - Congestive Heart Failure usually caused by Diabetes.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@HSSS - sorry, have not been back until now - CHF - is the very common heart ailment - Congestive Heart Failure usually caused by Diabetes.
Ah. Sorry to hear that. Is the fat thing the typical advice that fat causes high cholesterol and heart disease we’re used to hearing (wrongly it seems from more recent research) or specific to this problem?

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I'm lucky to be OK with porridge. Must be the traditional rolled oats that you soak overnight. Always full fat milk.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm lucky to be OK with porridge. Must be the traditional rolled oats that you soak overnight. Always full fat milk.
I microwave mine. Is that no good? Do you find microwaved porridge an issue?

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make porridge with water then mix a greek yogurt to make it nice and creamy, adding berries for some extra flavour.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I cook it the traditional way. Soak overnight then about 15 - 20 mins on the stove while gradually adding milk. don't like the lumpiness or taste of microwaved porridge.