1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

PORRIDGE made with water or low fat milk?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by BaliRob, Jan 17, 2019.

1. BaliRob

BaliRob Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As a boy during the war years I remember my mother making our porridge with water because milk from the
    farmers was not readily available then even in most schools.

My discussion point is - what do members think - does it taste better with milk (high calcium of course) or just
    plain water? AND which combination is healthier considering blood sugars?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @BaliRob The best option is with water as the lactose in milk contains carbohydrates which will elevate blood glucose levels, as for taste, well full fat milk wins hands down every time for me :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

From a BG point of view, if either version does not increase your personal Blood sugars by more than 2mmol then it is ok
    Both versions would now spike my sugars by 6-7 mmols ( porridge used to be ok producing a 1-2 mmol raise for the first 10-12 years, but 22 years into diabetes thats no longer so)
    Tastewise - Id go for porridge made with water and then with cream or thick coconut milk added just before serving

• Like Like x 2
    #3 Boo1979, Jan 17, 2019 at 10:35 AM
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  4. Mep

Mep Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't mind either way.... it's one of my safe foods as goes down easily and I don't get pain with it. Yes it does increase sugar, but I just taken the insulin to cover what I'm eating. Even before being diagnosed with diabetes I loved eating raw oats and porridge. I think I took after my grandfather there as we both loved a bowl of raw oats with milk. I'm not sure I'd eat raw oats with water though... prefer the milk, and semi-skim milk is what I use.

5. Spl@

[email protected] Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Used to eat plenty. Before dx.

Now I couldn't face it. After being low carb (sub 50 carbs at least) for a while the thought that my daily maximum is gone in a bowl of (boring) porridge.

Boring is subjective and it's only my personal view but there is so much you could have for breakfast instead that is quicker, tastier and keeps you full just as long.

Why eat it at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Spl, because he wants to?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. annie07

annie07 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Tastes better with milk but wouldn't touch it with a barge pole since diagnosis, too much of a spike for me.

Water would be a lower carb option than milk but obviously what is "healthier" depends on what it does to your personal blood sugar levels. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Water. Always water. I don't even know if I'd have preferred it made with milk, because I never tried. Then cinnamon and sugar on top, yumm, and a knob of butter in the middle. Well, nowadays I stick to the knob of butter :) I quite like the way my BGs are behaving now.

9. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I wouldn’t eat real porridge at all it would spike my blood sugars. I do however eat this low carb coconut ‘porridge’ every day. Not a grain in sight, around 7g carbs per portion when served with double cream and a couple of chopped strawberries:
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge

10. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Aww @Rachox you know I love you - but how can you like this abomination? Lol - I made this for the first time this morning as was a bit fed up of eggs - was so looking forward to it - looked good with a couple of blackberries and a sprinkle of almonds - first bite - hmmm it's ok - after 2 more bites ugggghhhh - like eating cake batter - had that at 5.30 am - still feel nauseous and sluggish - and as to the clean up **** anyone want to buy a BIG bag of coconut flour ;)

As to the porridge @BaliRob - only one way according to my hubby - in a pan cooked on low for hours with water only stirred with one of them porridge whatyamcallits - only things you can add is salt or a splash of whisky :wacky:

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

All I can say is mine doesn’t taste like cake batter!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@lovinglife glad I’m not the only one - I tried it once and all I managed to make was a load of what I can only describe as ‘gloop’ which tasted horrible and you could probably use for wall paper paste. Another bag of coconut flour going here too

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. dipsydo

dipsydo · Well-Known Member

Just to show we are all different , I had some porridge with semi skimmed milk a couple of days ago and my blood sugar dropped from 6 before to 5.5 after and yes I did test again to make sure not rogue readings ! So I think that the impact of porridge is so individual that you can only tell how you react by testing.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I used to love porridge.
    With semi skimmed milk and a sprinkle of Demerera.
    OR with water and a sprinkle of salt.
    All depending on when, why and how much. lol.
    Gosh, that must be 30 years ago.

Nowadays, sadly, the oats would send my bg too high, so I don't. At all.

Used to make it for Mr B though with the jumbo oats, overnight in the slow cooker. Came out like a cross between wallpaper paste and cement, but he LOVED it.

15. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

My dad was a Scot and he loved porridge, it was sacrilege to put sugar or honey on porridge, only salt was the true Scots way, to me coconut and porridge are............:yuck:

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you made me eat porridge I would use whole milk instead of water in an attempt to mitigate the effect of the rather large glucose load :)

17. Spl@

[email protected] Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Didn't tell him not to. Just my view.

Now fully committed to lox carb and enjoying the benefits too much to even consider carbs in any quantity.

Seems most of it (carbs) now doesn't have the appeal it used to either.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Every one reacts differently and I have always been able to eat porridge which I mixed with flax seed but find it easier to have Greek yoghurt and berries for breakfast.

• Like Like x 1
  19. davidjb

davidjb Type 2 · Active Member

I use almond 'milk' which has virtually no carbs/sugar.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Derbysocks

Derbysocks Type 2 · Active Member

ascots water & salt me, English, milk & sweeteners.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook