Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Also sell them, too.

I like them best soaked for a few hours (minimum 4 hours) in unsweetened Almond milk then add some vanilla and some unsweetened coconut cream. Stir lots. Tastes quite a lot like rice pudding.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where is the best place to buy chia seeds? Can they be bought in a regular supermarket or would I have to go to Holland and Barrett or similar?
I find most cost effective way is to buy big bags online - I use chia seeds a lot!
https://www.realfoodsource.com/prod...ekLHPpnbyftcLmUJ2axzvqvhqNttEXXUaAqenEALw_wcB
https://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Chia...d=1548325549&sr=8-8&keywords=white+chia+seeds
The white ones look better in jams / puddings as they are not so visible, although they taste the same

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You would have liked 1950's school dinners then...
I did. Well 1960s but they were similar. That’s probably where I got it from. Also my mother did a lot of that stuff. And steamed puddings too. All home made.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I make my own breakfast 'muesli' with chopped mixed nuts, chia seeds, milled flaxseed and desiccated coconut. I have it with unsweetened almond milk, but I only let the mix stand for 10mins before eating. I find nothing wrong with the texture of the chia seeds as I like it crunchy anyway. What puzzles me is that a lot of people seem to want softened chia seeds. Is there a problem with eating them raw, are they actually bad for you?

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
My receipe says to use one tablespoon of chia seeds to make a cherry pudding and bring to boil so it is obviously as I was going to ask in warm water. I have to use tinned cherries as couldn’t find frozen ones.But I will give Chia seeds a go and will let you know how I get on.
Thank you so much for all your help everyone.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My receipe says to use one tablespoon of chia seeds to make a cherry pudding and bring to boil so it is obviously as I was going to ask in warm water. I have to use tinned cherries as couldn’t find frozen ones.But I will give Chia seeds a go and will let you know how I get on.
Thank you so much for all your help everyone.

Sainsbury do the best frozen cherries. You can use chia with any temperature water (or other liquid). I use chilled bottled water straight from the fridge.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Sainsbury do the best frozen cherries. You can use chia with any temperature water (or other liquid). I use chilled bottled water straight from the fridge.

Chook I went to Sainsbury’s and the person on freezers said they don’t do them I did look around but couldn’t find any.
This was in Charlton London one.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just bought some Chia seeds today for the first time. From Aldi.

I will try and use them at the weekend. I shall put some in some milk and see what happens.

Reactions: hankjam

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Chook I went to Sainsbury’s and the person on freezers said they don’t do them I did look around but couldn’t find any.
This was in Charlton London one.

They are in with the other frozen fruit (for smoothies). I'm near Doncaster and bought three lots today (Mr Chook loves them as they aren't the sour kind).

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
As far as I'm concerned chia tastes of nothing so need flavour added to them so ordinary milk might not it be the answer. I like them with vanilla or almond and especially with banana Crusha No Added Sugar milkshake stuff (i really miss the flavour of banana).

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are there any advantages from eating chia seeds. I did buy some but when I read they can swell in the stomach and cause a blockage I threw them away

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Are there any advantages from eating chia seeds. I did buy some but when I read they can swell in the stomach and cause a blockage I threw them away

I haven't had a blockage yet but i only eat them when I'm slightly constipated. I find a couple of days of eating 25g of chia seeds per day (plus a couple of litres of fluids) sorts everything out.

Reactions: hankjam

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I'm concerned chia tastes of nothing so need flavour added to them so ordinary milk might not it be the answer. I like them with vanilla or almond and especially with banana Crusha No Added Sugar milkshake stuff (i really miss the flavour of banana).
I am going to try milk and then add either sweetner (not sugar) or jam made without sugar.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Something like this:

http://www.simplebites.net/how-to-make-simple-chia-pudding/

But I will use milk and Stevia sweetner to start off with. Unfortunately I have bought the black variety but it seems the white variety does indeed give a tapioca look about it.

upload_2019-1-25_21-51-0.jpeg

Last edited: