Tired of type 1

Eef

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Very well said, and I think we can all relate to this.
I found my friends understand more of my feelings than I feared, but it's places like this forum where people really get what you say, even if you can't find the exact right words or when there simply aren't enough words in the world to convey your meaning.

freyae32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow are you me?! I'm in exactly the same situation (17, diabetic for almost 4 years). There are times where I wish I didn't have diabetes, usually when my sugars are low and I have to eat even if I don't want to but if I was given the chance not to have T1 I probably wouldn't take it, I'm too used to it all now. It gets really frustrating when my parents talk to me about the control of my blood sugars because they don't understand at all what it's like and they don't know what it feels like. My blood sugars often go low at inconvenient times and my dad will always tut about it, which annoys me because I already feel like **** in the moment and he has no idea how ill hypos make me feel. I tend not to talk about diabetes with anyone that doesn't have it because they just won't get it. To me it's just a way of life now no matter how much I get sick of having it. If you ever want to talk just hmu, it's nice having someone to rant about T1 with that gets it. Also there's no harm in talking to your diabetes team/gp if things start getting worse x

On a practical note, Pancreas Problems, do 2 or 3 of your usual pals, the ones you hang around with most often, do they know to get you sugar in water if you have a bad low blood sugar(this can happen the next day after drinking alcohol or many hours after exercising). It's great if they notice changes in your energy levels, or in how your body moves...your ability to do sums/ complex thoughts will help tell them if you're having low blood sugar. I'm not saying you need to be minded, but insulins are strong drugs, it's good to let others know a few tips.

Yeah I make sure my friends are aware of what to do in an emergency but I just hope they remember as they aren’t close friends that are with me all the time

Reactions: porl69
Wow are you me?! I'm in exactly the same situation (17, diabetic for almost 4 years). There are times where I wish I didn't have diabetes, usually when my sugars are low and I have to eat even if I don't want to but if I was given the chance not to have T1 I probably wouldn't take it, I'm too used to it all now. It gets really frustrating when my parents talk to me about the control of my blood sugars because they don't understand at all what it's like and they don't know what it feels like. My blood sugars often go low at inconvenient times and my dad will always tut about it, which annoys me because I already feel like **** in the moment and he has no idea how ill hypos make me feel. I tend not to talk about diabetes with anyone that doesn't have it because they just won't get it. To me it's just a way of life now no matter how much I get sick of having it. If you ever want to talk just hmu, it's nice having someone to rant about T1 with that gets it. Also there's no harm in talking to your diabetes team/gp if things start getting worse x

It is very difficult no one understands and when ur blood sugars are out of range behaviour changes and people get mad at u for being that way and we just can’t help it and it make us feel guilty for having something you don’t want x and thankyou for the support xxx

Reactions: freyae32
@Pancreas problems . I’ve just been reading through the replies to your original post. Can’t recall the last time a post attracted so many replies from members who don’t usually post on the forum but have been members for a good amount of time.
You’re obviously doing something right:):):).
To those who I’ve not met before on the site, it’s nice to meet you.:)

Thankyou and I don’t know it’s just what my head says I will try to describe it and explain it as much as I can but I just worry that it makes 0 sense, but then again I will always overthink about mostly everything

Reactions: porl69 and Knikki

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Pancreas problems . Hey look, one beauty of this forum is the anonymity it gives. If I’m right you’re still very young, at your age I would have struggled to discuss inner feelings. I wasn’t diagnosed until I was 27 and I’m now 55 and have spent many hours trying to figure out diabetes in my head, even worse I’ve lost countless hours letting diabetes dictate my inner feelings and thoughts, usually doubt and fear. It took me along time to find my way of regaining control. Diabetes will find anyway possible to attack and disrupt our lives.
There isn’t nothing that you say makes zero sense that someone else here doesn’t experience at some time or another.
Sometimes things don’t have to make sense.
I’ve been on the forum quite sometime and I often make no sense whatsoever :):):).
There’ll always be someone prepared to listen and understand ( especially some of us old uns ).
Good luck and stay positive.

@Pancreas problems . Hey look, one beauty of this forum is the anonymity it gives. If I’m right you’re still very young, at your age I would have struggled to discuss inner feelings. I wasn’t diagnosed until I was 27 and I’m now 55 and have spent many hours trying to figure out diabetes in my head, even worse I’ve lost countless hours letting diabetes dictate my inner feelings and thoughts, usually doubt and fear. It took me along time to find my way of regaining control. Diabetes will find anyway possible to attack and disrupt our lives.
There isn’t nothing that you say makes zero sense that someone else here doesn’t experience at some time or another.
Sometimes things don’t have to make sense.
I’ve been on the forum quite sometime and I often make no sense whatsoever :):):).
There’ll always be someone prepared to listen and understand ( especially some of us old uns ).
Good luck and stay positive.

Thankyou ! And it does disrupt lives especially when ur doing something that’s important or your worried about something ,it makes things worse for example I get a hypo or my dexcom alarm goes off in college and I feel vunrebal and my self confidence goes down hate it .

K

Knikki

Hmmmm hypos are not fun. However I do not hate them, I respect them and are wary of them and sometimes embrace them, usually it means eating something sweet, problem beingT1D and having a sweet tooth.

If you have your Dexcom alarm set to slightly higher than hypo then maybe you can catch the hypo before it happens.

For example I run xDrip and miaomiao and the usual hypo is 4mmol so I have an alarm set to go off at 4.5 note what the trend is deal with it accordingly. Don't always get it right but 9 out of 10 I do :) oh I run on the low side most of the time because that is just me.

Once you get a bit more used to things the "feeling vulnerable" should start to fade, at the end of the day diabetes should not stop you from doing anything.

Take care.

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Knikki
Best part of having a hypo is definitely the treatment options, YUM!!! I totally embrace my hypos (when I am able to) and try to enjoy whatever treatment I choose!
I also run on the low side, a hypo for me doesn’t usually happen until I get to about 3.0mmol but obviously with laws and such I tend to start treating around 4.0mmol to be safe!!

@Pancreas problems
Diabetes is a nightmare but it’s possible to live with it and to get better at managing it for yourself in time!! My biggest piece of advice is to remember that although there are trends and ideas EVERY patient is INDIVIDUAL! Over the years I’ve found that most things that work for people don’t work for me and i always seem to be the exception to the rules of diabetes but I’m still here fighting and haven’t had any major issues yet!! So stay strong and try not to get too down about it (easier said than done I know!!)
Also, never ever feel embarrassed or humiliated by it, there’s nothing to be ashamed of at all no matter how people may react to things, that’s just down to their lack of knowledge, don’t let it make you feel bad, it’s not your fault in any way!!! And when you want to talk or have a rant DO IT! If it’s going to help you then go for it! Xxx

Hmmmm hypos are not fun. However I do not hate them, I respect them and are wary of them and sometimes embrace them, usually it means eating something sweet, problem beingT1D and having a sweet tooth.

If you have your Dexcom alarm set to slightly higher than hypo then maybe you can catch the hypo before it happens.

For example I run xDrip and miaomiao and the usual hypo is 4mmol so I have an alarm set to go off at 4.5 note what the trend is deal with it accordingly. Don't always get it right but 9 out of 10 I do :) oh I run on the low side most of the time because that is just me.

Once you get a bit more used to things the "feeling vulnerable" should start to fade, at the end of the day diabetes should not stop you from doing anything.

Take care.