What am I doing wrong

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been trying IF for the last month. On Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday - no breakfast, bone broth for lunch and meat and vegs for dinner. On Wednesday, Friday and Sunday - no breakfast, low carb roll, ham, toms and olives for lunch or 5 crevettes, toms and olives and again meat and vegs for dinner. Drinks during all this time - coffee with double cream and water. My weight was slowly increasing so I thought I would try IF to lose some lbs. I have hardly lost anything. Just took my BG before starting dinner and it's 5.7 and on a fasting day. What am I doing wrong PLEASE?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been trying IF for the last month. On Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday - no breakfast, bone broth for lunch and meat and vegs for dinner. On Wednesday, Friday and Sunday - no breakfast, low carb roll, ham, toms and olives for lunch or 5 crevettes, toms and olives and again meat and vegs for dinner. Drinks during all this time - coffee with double cream and water. My weight was slowly increasing so I thought I would try IF to lose some lbs. I have hardly lost anything. Just took my BG before starting dinner and it's 5.7 and on a fasting day. What am I doing wrong PLEASE?
Hi Carol
Re the bgs that can happen when fasting - well it has at times for me and even higher particularly if stressed! The cortisol I think gets going and can put it up.
Re weight loss - you are very slender and I wonder if your body is fighting to keep what it recently put back on. However I believe, if it’s what you want, if you carry on it you would eventually start reducing a bit again just my opinion!
I don’t think you are doing anything wrong you are mixing things up a bit - you could also try different mixes of IF times eg breakfast then miss lunch or have one meal a day? My body seems to react to switching it around.
Sure others will be along with their views soon but I can’t see anything obvious! @Goonergal may have some ideas.

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Carol

Strikes me you might not be eating enough and as @shelley262 says, your body is trying to hold on to what it has. Something similar happened to me a year or so ago - did 5 OMAD days in a row while on holiday and didn’t lose a thing. Got some very good advice on here to mix fasting with feasting. It worked! Mixing things up does help too. Tagging @bulkbiker - it was he that helped me out and he may spot something else.

Hope you resolve things.

Edited to correct typo.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Carol
I'd say you probably aren't eating enough and your body is desperate to hang on to the weight you have..
Any idea how many calories you are taking in? not a whole lot by the look of things.. and not a lot of fat either?
Maybe add some butter into your broth? Or dare I say it try switching around completely and eat two decent sized meals a day of fattier meats and fewer carbs? Those toms and olives along with a roll (even if low carb) are way more than I would have each day.

Last edited:

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 @shelley262 @Goonergal @bulkbiker
I must apologise for my posting. I was having a bad day. Because of Christmas and new year I haven't had my groups to attend and I was feeling lonely and miserable. OH, unfortunately, is not too good at the moment with Parkinsons so is no company at all. I woke this morning with a very sore throat so perhaps that was why my BG was higher.
To put the record straight I have lost weight - 4lbs. I haven't ever counted my calories or carbs. I think I an having enough fats, cream in my coffee. I put cheese on my vegetables. Cook mushrooms in butter. Tonight I had sardines cooked in olive oil, mushrooms in butter and cauli, cabbage and peppers with cheese and halloumi chips.
Again I'm sorry.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I must apologise for my posting. I was having a bad day. Because of Christmas and new year I haven't had my groups to attend and I was feeling lonely and miserable. OH, unfortunately, is not too good at the moment with Parkinsons so is no company at all. I woke this morning with a very sore throat so perhaps that was why my BG was higher.
To put the record straight I have lost weight - 4lbs. I haven't ever counted my calories or carbs. I think I an having enough fats, cream in my coffee. I put cheese on my vegetables. Cook mushrooms in butter. Tonight I had sardines cooked in olive oil, mushrooms in butter and cauli, cabbage and peppers with cheese and halloumi chips.
Again I'm sorry.
Hi Carol I totally understand where you are coming from caring is very hard and can be isolating especially when it’s your life partner. I care for my eldest son and mum but I count myself as very lucky having my OH to talk to and for support. Pleased that your normal support is up and running again Christmas and new year can be very difficult to get through and many of us feel relief getting back to normal service.
Take care and keep going it sounds like you just need to keep going the way you are and also take good care of yourself. Stress, mainly from caring, is what puts up my bgs these days! Stress management is as important to me as what I eat.x

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Again I'm sorry.

@carol43 no need to apologise at all. Sounds like you’re having a rough time so no wonder your BG is a bit all over the place. Do take care.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Again I'm sorry.

Oh dear, Carol, sometimes life just piles in a bit. Be kind to yourself.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I must apologise for my posting. I was having a bad day. Because of Christmas and new year I haven't had my groups to attend and I was feeling lonely and miserable.
Please don't apologise, it really is not needed. Apart from being a goldmine of information, this forum is the perfect place to unload once in a while and have a rant. It saves us from feeling we are a burden to our loved ones with our diabetes worries and we don't have to try to keep everything inside either when ranting on here.

So come back and do it again when you feel lonely or miserable, or when you're having a sore throat or when your husbands parkinson's is being an ess, or when the weather socks or when you missed the bus or all of those things at once.

Your dinner sounds very yummy and I hope your day was a lot better than yesterday :)

Oh, and please come back to us as well when you have a wonderful day, we like to read about that too!

Last edited:

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 @Goonergal @shelley262 @bulkbiker
Not having much success with this fasting lark. Weighed my self this morning 8st 12lbs, not a happy bunny. Tried bone broth with butter, it's lovely. Now having avocado with my evening meal to up the fats. Think I will go back to having lunch and try again another time. BG is fine, 5 before dinner yesterday and it was 5.3 2 hours later, dinner was gammon, avocado, mushroom, halloumi fries, cauliflower cheese, cabbage and peppers.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not having much success with this fasting lark. Weighed my self this morning 8st 12lbs, not a happy bunny. Tried bone broth with butter, it's lovely. Now having avocado with my evening meal to up the fats. Think I will go back to having lunch and try again another time. BG is fine, 5 before dinner yesterday and it was 5.3 2 hours later, dinner was gammon, avocado, mushroom, halloumi fries, cauliflower cheese, cabbage and peppers.
Maybe just have a break and have another go when the weather is more cheerful.. you might find that you are having a bit of seasonal weight gain? Our bodies are just cantankerous sometimes and won't do what we want. I've been trying to get below 200 pounds for the last 6 months.. this morning 200.8 I can almost be sure that it will be higher tomorrow just to pee me off.. Hey ho

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Carol do understand that you are frustrated re the weight but you are very slender and the body does seem to fight back. On a major plus your bgs are excellent and that and our health are the really key things about this WOE. Why not have a break and eat a bit more - provided you keep carbs low and then reduce again? Our bodies seem to settle into regimes weight wise and good to mix it up a bit good luck x

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Carol

Sounds like a good idea to mix things up a bit. Main thing is the blood sugar control.

Take care.