Coke Zero

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good question. No added sugar, just sweetner. So it seems benign?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends.. some artificial sweeteners can cause an insulin or blood glucose reaction.. hard to know and could well be individual. Might be better avoided as it also keeps alive the craving for "sweet" which may be counterproductive.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a T1 I don't have to take insulin for Coke Zero or Diet coke as it has no carbs in it, some T2's however find the sweeteners raise their sugars even though there are no carbs, so you'll need to test to see whether you can cope with it not.

FUD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most of the drinks with artificial sweeteners cause my BS to rise.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aspartame and ace k raise mine. As does maltitol and anything that uses maltodextrin as a bulking agent.
Sucralose I haven’t tested as much but appears ok.
Erythritol,stevia and xylitol are ok for me

I’d suggest reading ingredients carefully and testing (several times if the first one is ok and avoiding if it’s not). It seems to vary person to person. Also decide if you need the odd sweet treat to keep you going and feeling undeprived or if it’s just going to,prolong the cravings and lead you astray. Again personal.

Reactions: jjraak

rpoulter

Type 2 and have no problem with coke zero and doesn't affect my levels. BTW I could not drink diet coke as it caused nausea.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I have it with Makers Mark it doesn't seem to affect me, but I only have a small splash :hungover:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe Coke Zero has been replaced by Coke No Sugar. All cokes are too sweet for me, I like 7UP Free as a fizzy drink.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Coke in Australia is sweetened I believe by Stevia I believe because of public demand whereas in Thailand its sweetened by Aspartame If Coke believe that Stevia is safer and Ok To use Why not change World wide. perhaps its more costly and cheaper ?? maybe if people stopped buying it we would get a change.................Whilst I do drink and prefer Coke Zero I stop after 2 and Order Iced Water

Reactions: tina_marie
M

Member496333

I didn’t used to find that zero sugar drinks affected by blood glucose at all, but they’re not compatible with my current dietary strategy so I avoid them at all costs nonetheless. Plus anything that’s even remotely sweet tasting now makes me heave.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coke in Australia is sweetened I believe by Stevia I believe because of public demand whereas in Thailand its sweetened by Aspartame If Coke believe that Stevia is safer and Ok To use Why not change World wide. perhaps its more costly and cheaper ?? maybe if people stopped buying it we would get a change.................Whilst I do drink and prefer Coke Zero I stop after 2 and Order Iced Water
There is Coke Life in a green bottle/can which is sweetened with Stevia but it also contains sugar as I discovered after I bought some.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.thejournal.ie/green-coca-cola-is-a-thing-now-1922039-Feb2015/?amp=1

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Nearly all Coke / Cola beverages have caffeine - something you are told to avoid before a fasting glucose test.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this a no go along with other drinks labelled as “zero”
Test, and you'll know. They didn't make my bloodsugars rise, though they do for some. But after using a lot of artificial sweeteners in tea and my beloved coke zero, my gut bacteria died. En masse. Still healing from that bloody (not swearing, it was actually quite bloody) fiasco, and that was last summer. So careful with how much you use! (It adds up with 3-5 sweeteners per tea, 10 tea's or more per day, plus coke. I went a little overboard, and now I can't use it at all anymore.).

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coke life (with stevia) doesn’t seem to be available in the uk anymore. Apparently a failure here.