Meaning of carbohydrate "of which sugars"

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When in the Czech Republic a few years back we spent the evening with a group of older locals. They all spoke good English. None of them learnt it in school. They learnt it from buying black market vinyl records, mostly Beatles (banned in the original Czechoslovakia in those days, apparently) Or so they said.

And I believe it. The Beatles and Stones and many other English musicians helped develop rock n' roll by listening to black Delta bluesmen and white rock n' rollers on records brought home from America by British sailors. So the circle's still unbroken. Cool. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant!! Thank you for posting that, @Antje77 - it will be winging its way to friends who live in Michigan. When they come over here they love the way we say things differently, Warrick and War-wick one of their favourites. And may I ask, do you actually sleep in that bed? Because Verse, aka Your Stripyness (good names, @SaskiaKC!) gradually forces me to the edge, and that's only one cat!

The KittenCat does the same thing. Last night when I came to bed (having taken the trouble to turn out the kitchen and living room lights and check her dish for food to sustain her through the night), she was lying smack dab in the middle of MY half of the bed. Tail fully stretched out.

I said "Oh, thank you! You've been keeping it warm for me!"

Uh-huh. Yeah. Right. Or I don't know, maybe she was. I keep the sofa warm for her, after all. ;)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So do we Americans, because neither would we. When vacationing. ;)

And in our case it's really sad because so many of our ancestors came from mainland Europe and yet within a generation or two most of their descendants could no longer speak their mother (and father) tongues.

Reactions: jjraak

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Antje77 I love the poem! Thank you so much for going to all the trouble to post that. It made me laugh (and also read seriously slowly).

That was one thing I loved about German -- it is spelled exactly as it sounds. French, on the other hand ... !

And I won't even get into my frustration with trying to learn Greek!

Did y'all know that in the first days of the US, Benjamin Franklin wanted our national language to be Hebrew? I have long wanted to learn Hebrew, but like Greek it would of course mean learning not only vocabulary but a whole different alphabet.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Writing in response to cat and upload stuff from yesterday: 99.99% of my pics are on my (i)phone, so I do all that from it, as now. On my app view here, there is a + sign to the left of the response field. Touch that and it opens your draft in a new window, with some icons at the bottom. Camera icon lets you take a pic, and icon that may be a landscape gives you access to your own photos. Like so:
IMG_3485.jpg
snorgle snorkle please!
IMG_0518.jpg
awww teh kitteh is borked? Nope, just as flexible as a snake!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree in general, but I'd think that particular song is more traditional folk or bluegrass than rock 'n' roll...

And now I can't get it out of my head.

You're right, it is. Country & western, bluegrass. I think I thought of it because as I was typing about the American blues and rock n' roll musicians I was thinking about how several of the latter had their roots in rockabilly -- country and western, bluegrass, and the influence of those genres on rock n' roll. :)

Reactions: Antje77

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this thread wins a prize for most wandering I’ve read in a long while

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think this thread wins a prize for most wandering I’ve read in a long while
I love it. I only hope @ofwhichsugars doesn't mind. At least he got some serious answers before we carried off in all directions :) And he was last seen on the forum the day he started this thread so I suppose it doesn't matter.
His name suggests he came here only to get this question answered. But if he pops in again he'll have a surprise with 8 pages of answers to his question :hilarious: Hope he likes cats!

Reactions: HSSS

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"How do you expect me to count the carbs in the squirrel when I can't find the squirrel?"

h5E6CD275