Dry ears

Superman10

Hi I'm new but have had diabetes 2 for about 10 years on tablets.
Anyone else get dry flakey skin on the ears in and around worse in the morning I've been washing then putting olive oil on any thing else can put on and is it connected to my diabetes. Thanks

Reactions: Patrick66

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I get this a lot but thought I was just more sensitive to shampoo so am always careful to rinse and dry my ears carefully. I dont know if its anything to do with diabetes or just you get more sensitive as you get older. But it can be annoying.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have always periodically had dry skin there - have always been told its excema which I had badly as a kid and which flares up if I include much dairy produce in my diet.
An emoliant like E40 or sudacream helps mine

Reactions: Freema

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a similar problem. Doctor suggested Daktacort which can be bought over the counter at U.K. chemists. It seems to work but only for a while (week or two). It has to be applied thinly.

If you are in the U.K. at least have a chat to the pharmacist about the product.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone else get dry flakey skin on the ears in and around worse in the morning I've been washing then putting olive oil on any thing else can put on and is it connected to my diabetes. Thanks
Same problem, my doc told me to just use my eczema ointment. (Put a little on a q-tip). Stops the itching/flaking for about a week or two, then it's back. No idea if it's a T2 thing though.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of people write about the benefits of coconut oil on skin problems.. never tried it myself but might be worth go.
Yes the same stuff you cook with.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Methinks it is partly a thing of age (that is 'maturity'), things dry up as we get older (no other specifics will be discussed)!
Plus skin type - such as proneness to eczema as some have said. which some shampoos and soaps might make worse by drying skin out too much. At least they do so in me.
I do know that diabetes can make me prone to fungal infections and that moisture in the ears can make that a bit more likely.
Mild cortisone creams (like mentioned above , usually brand names ending in -cort) help relieve the itch for me but they can flare up a fungal infection if I am not careful.
I tend to use tea-tree oil - tea trees grow in Oz, not sure if you have the oil in the Northern Hemisphere but it eases skin dryness and has mild anti-fungal properties. I use a cotton bud but just near the entrance to the ear to let the oil drain in and just wipe around the entrance. I never use cotton wool to block up the ears (even if Mrs Kitedoc is talking). That keeps the moisture in and makes bugs and funguses grow. I felt like writing that instead of fungi for once )! Please, pretty please do not moderate it !!
Once a week I use moisturising and anti-fungal shampoos so that scalp and ears obtain a dollop of prevention.
There is a saying that one should not put anything smaller than one's elbow in one's earhole. ( No contortionists allowed)!
I think docs are worried that a cotton bud in there can push wax up inside the ear canal to form a blockage, and anything narrower could cause other problems if put further in.
May dry ears begone or the least of your troubles !! :hilarious::hilarious:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Methinks it is partly a thing of age (that is 'maturity'), things dry up as we get older (no other specifics will be discussed)!
Plus skin type - such as proneness to eczema as some have said. which some shampoos and soaps might make worse by drying skin out too much. At least they do so in me.
I do know that diabetes can make me prone to fungal infections and that moisture in the ears can make that a bit more likely.
Mild cortisone creams (like mentioned above , usually brand names ending in -cort) help relieve the itch for me but they can flare up a fungal infection if I am not careful.
I tend to use tea-tree oil - tea trees grow in Oz, not sure if you have the oil in the Northern Hemisphere but it eases skin dryness and has mild anti-fungal properties. I use a cotton bud but just near the entrance to the ear to let the oil drain in and just wipe around the entrance. I never use cotton wool to block up the ears (even if Mrs Kitedoc is talking). That keeps the moisture in and makes bugs and funguses grow. I felt like writing that instead of fungi for once )! Please, pretty please do not moderate it !!
Once a week I use moisturising and anti-fungal shampoos so that scalp and ears obtain a dollop of prevention.
There is a saying that one should not put anything smaller than one's elbow in one's earhole. ( No contortionists allowed)!
I think docs are worried that a cotton bud in there can push wax up inside the ear canal to form a blockage, and anything narrower could cause other problems if put further in.
May dry ears begone or the least of your troubles !! :hilarious::hilarious:
We have Teetree oil here yes, exported from downunder. I use it on my feet.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
We have Teetree oil here yes, exported from downunder. I use it on my feet.
Great I use it between toes and around nails to prevent dryness and tinea !! I hope it is not too expensive ??

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great I use it between toes and around nails to prevent dryness and tinea !! I hope it is not too expensive ??
Well I bought a tiny bottle for several pounds I think it was but it lasts a long time. Seems highly concentrated.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
I don't know if I can directly link it to Diabetes but my ears drive me mad.

Itchy, flaky, sore, uncomfortable. No obvious cause and My doctors had a look and declared them fine whilst they re itching.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have suffered with itchy inner ears for years long before diabetes. Doctor said it is probably dry eczema and just told me to use olive oil but that does not relieve the itching. Now I use even E45 or Sudafed cream just around the inside of the ear but not actually down the opening to the eardrum I do not want to rupture that with a cotton bud

Reactions: Hungry19

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I don't know if I can directly link it to Diabetes but my ears drive me mad.

Itchy, flaky, sore, uncomfortable. No obvious cause and My doctors had a look and declared them fine whilst they re itching.

Possibly Otitis Externa, a form of excema of the canal. I would ask your GP for a referral to ENT.
Do not be tempted to put anything into the canal to relieve the itching as the skin inside is extremely delicate.

Reactions: Hungry19

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Add me to the list of people that suffer with this - it seems to have got worse over the past couple of years. GP gave me a combined anti-fungal and mild cortisone ointment for it - tubes last forever because it's applied in such small amounts.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was a doctor here that recommended Teetree oil for the feet. She said she used it to keep fungal infections from her toenails.

We also see it in shampoos and other such products.

Hungry19

Yes- severely. When showering or washing hair use Cotten wool/tissue smothered in Vaseline to prevent water entering ear. Shampoos/conditioner can trigger it.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I agree. It is strong stuff. It has to be diluted. I use just a few drops in a bowl of water for my feet.
Hi @Listlad, Maybe something like this ?
IMG_4308.jpg