Graphic Content Reusing lancets: a cautionary tale.

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Busy towns and cities, heavy traffic, noisy people, rubbishy televison or radio shows, rap music.
I think, even with the use of disinfectant and boiling water, each time the lancet is used it dulls the sharpness a bit, so causes a bigger puncture wound in fingertip, allowing easy access for bacteria.
Sliced my knuckles open today on a piece of grubby armour plate, gave them a good suck and a wipe down with IPA, stings like mad but does the business, I have never had any form of finger infection other than raw sore hands during the winter whilst working with machinery, my recovery level from wounds is very fast, the pen type lancet I use gives a small pin prick that sometimes closes before I can get my test strip to it, I use an Acutest lancet pen with a spring loaded adjustable plunger to try to get blood out of my fingers when I test, and the lancet is manually fitted and removed, but due to the thickness of my finger skin, which is like old leather, I have to have it on its strongest spring setting and then it may take two or three tries to gain any red out.
I fully understand that others who deal with less grubby items regularly than I do may be more at risk, however in your case I believe the main culprit to be the pine needle and not nescessarily the lancet, and would more possibly be tetanus from the old tree needle instead.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"possibly be tetanus from the old tree needle instead."

Tetanus is an infection of the nervous system that is always serious and often fatal. The bacteria, called Clostridium tetani, are all around us (for example in soil), and they enter the body through scratches, burns and cuts.

You think?

The skin amongst it's many functions forms a barrier between the internal systems of the body and the environment break it and even the smallest hole can allow the ingress of pathogens so far you have been lucky don't take that as a given.

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Busy towns and cities, heavy traffic, noisy people, rubbishy televison or radio shows, rap music.
"possibly be tetanus from the old tree needle instead."

Tetanus is an infection of the nervous system that is always serious and often fatal. The bacteria, called Clostridium tetani, are all around us (for example in soil), and they enter the body through scratches, burns and cuts.

You think?

The skin amongst it's many functions forms a barrier between the internal systems of the body and the environment break it and even the smallest hole can allow the ingress of pathogens so far you have been lucky don't take that as a given.
I believe I have been more than lucky, with special regards given to cuts, scrapes, scratches, gouges and the odd bit knocked off, as well as foreign objects entering my body, usually at a speed faster than I can duck out the way.
Just wondering if my upbringing way back in the dark ages, when before computers and mobile phones, we as kids would go out and about and get absolutely filthy and dirty in the most amazing ways, has anything to do with my lack of being easily infected nowadays by dirt and such, also during my career spanning a 40+ year length, I and many of my contemporaries in aviation dealt with and got physically coated in some really horrendous substances from all over the world.

Reactions: kitedoc

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I believe I have been more than lucky, with special regards given to cuts, scrapes, scratches, gouges and the odd bit knocked off, as well as foreign objects entering my body, usually at a speed faster than I can duck out the way.
Just wondering if my upbringing way back in the dark ages, when before computers and mobile phones, we as kids would go out and about and get absolutely filthy and dirty in the most amazing ways, has anything to do with my lack of being easily infected nowadays by dirt and such, also during my career spanning a 40+ year length, I and many of my contemporaries in aviation dealt with and got physically coated in some really horrendous substances from all over the world.

14 years RAF ground crew avionics here 1st 2nd and 3rd line including a few years marine branch. :)

Reactions: kitedoc and hankjam

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Glad you’re improving Pipp xx
(The retired nurse in me was looking forward to the ‘Graphic Content’!)
Having had an avulsed thumbnail nearly 40 years ago, I'm glad the content was lacking!

Reactions: Rachox and Pipp

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Whilst I appreciate this Cautionary tale and echo the good wishes about your suffering and hope you are progressing well, I wonder would your finger have become infected if you had chosen another finger or indeed another hand for your Blood Test.
I use Fastclix and before that multi clix and change needle when I change my lantus pen I also use the needle on the lantus pen for the duration of the pen and have done for years. I have read many posts on here of people who do similar all with no side effects.
I believe the change your needle each time of use is I the manufacturers following Legal advice to minimize the chance of legal action and of course
the more time you change the more profit they make a good reason for the advice .
COMMON SENSE Is my watchword (s) I believe it is more or as likely to be the Pine needle possible followed by the choice of that finger to prick next so I see no reason to change my routine just be aware of any changes or pain etc and use a diiferent finger each day (Not each time)`.but I do feel their is no reason for people o change to one a time
I must say that I followed this path for over 30 years. I still have all my digits and nails!

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
14 years RAF ground crew avionics here 1st 2nd and 3rd line including a few years marine branch. :)
Oh Lordy, you were a Shiny, :banghead: honestly now, picking up dirt in the crewroom whilst sleeping on a grubby chair just vacated by a hard working Sooty or Rigger does not count as real grime. ;)
Me- ex Halton Brat Apprentice, one of Trenchards finest, Airframe then also Engines, then on to civil aircraft, both Short Haul and Long Haul, B1/B2 Licenced, Front Line, Minors, Majors and Casualty, and still going strong.

D

Deleted member 308541

I will wind a new lancet into the fast clix today as I will start a new tub of strips.

Good job I have had my tetanus shot, hate to get a infected finger nail...

Reactions: kitedoc and Pipp

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two months this after testing commenced I got cellulitis in my thumb. Dominant hand and oh god did it hurt, so much. Cause? Likely a daft prick with accuchek multi click thingy to the centre of the pad that had been used previously multiple times. Sadly after a few weeks of more diligent changing of stabber I went back to old habits (repeated use of lancet but better positioning) with no further problems. In fact Ive just moved it on a click after weeks using the same one.

I obviously believe the placement problem more than the reuse one. I thought I had graphic pics when I started typing but sadly I don’t. Think of a thumb twice the normal size and as red as a traffic light.

Reactions: Groundgripper

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It's interesting how things change. Used to get a nick on hands and think nothing of it and now.... sepsis.. really not something to take lightly... still give said nick/lancet hole a good lick with tongue first thing in the morning...
In terms of risk, it could be suggested that pine needle is more likely to come fully loaded with a range of bad guys compared to a lancet, which came sterile and was only ever used on "clean" skin...
Having written the above, I am off to replace month old lancet for tomorrows test.
Glad to read you are recovered @Pipp

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As my leukocytes are at the moment not far above zero placing me at high risk of serious infections including sepsis I don't think I will be taking any chances if blood comes out then pathogens can enter a non sterile instrument can carry germs and that is a fact no matter what the perception. When in clinic I had to work from sterile field to non sterile field and there where no exceptions where any risk to a patient was involved.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Pipp yowtchies!!! I am so glad you are mending but what a horrible thing!
@Groundgripper I am absolutely with you on the common-and-garden dirt part making us healthier, but will step away from the hazmats!
Yikes y’all! I feel guilty using one twice in a row on a failed prick. I think I won’t feel so guilty. I though the reason we mustn’t reuse was to do with contaminating the next prick with possible old sample.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Oh Lordy, you were a Shiny, honestly now, picking up dirt in the crewroom whilst sleeping on a grubby chair just vacated by a hard working Sooty or Rigger does not count as real grime.
Me- ex Halton Brat Apprentice, one of Trenchards finest, Airframe then also Engines, then on to civil aircraft, both Short Haul and Long Haul, B1/B2 Licenced, Front Line, Minors, Majors and Casualty, and still going strong.

When I was getting my time in every one pitched in on what needed doing and that included working across trades so got my hands dirty a lot and if you had ever worked in the engine room of Sea Otter you would know what I mean.

But of cause a Halton brat wouldn't Know .

Any way a think the BSc Honours in podiatric medicine gives me more of a passing knowledge of cross infections than the odd oily hand and a touching faith in "common sense " may

Last edited:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Sorry, but reusing an implement that had drawn blood previously, no matter how well domestically cleaned, then stored must be very very dangerous. But then what do I know?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a musician - playing most days of the week and I have recently begun to learn melodeon - it uses all ten digits.
I always use a new lancet - they are cheap and I just think why take a chance?

D

Deleted member 308541

Just flicked a new lancet into my Fastclix, all good for this weeks tub of strips.

Reactions: Dodo

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
When I was getting my time in every one pitched in on what needed doing and that included working across trades so got my hands dirty a lot and if you had ever worked in the engine room of Sea Otter you would know what I mean.

Any way a think the BSc Honours in podiatric medicine gives me more of a passing knowledge of cross infections than the odd oily hand and a touching faith in "common sense " may
I bow to your BSc Honours, hat off and respectful, however I see your engine room of the Sea Otter, and raise you a saturation in waste from the septic tanks on a 747 from Mumbai.:happy:

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Deleted my Reply to stop this going silly:)

Last edited: