What percentage of people do not have optimal diabetic management?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

I assume the optical diabetic management means that the blood glucose curve after a meal follows the natural shape and anything deviating from that is not properly managed diabetes.

What percentage of people cannot have properly managed diabetes despite medication, insulin etc?

thanks!

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: kitedoc

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think there are statistics available, as I don't think there is any country collecting data of all diabetics. There are probably pretty big differences per country as well. @Alison Campbell 's link is pretty informative, though, but it doesn't show the percentage of diabetics keeping non diabetic levels.

Reactions: kitedoc

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Going by the rising (and devastating) rates of amputation then I would say too many. One boffin mentioned one amputation every two minutes worldwide. Some of the island peoples' rates of dialysis are crippling their health systems too. It is very sad.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hello!

I assume the optical diabetic management means that the blood glucose curve after a meal follows the natural shape and anything deviating from that is not properly managed diabetes.

What percentage of people cannot have properly managed diabetes despite medication, insulin etc?

thanks!

For T2's - based on conventional guideline treatments and diet advice, I don't see how anyone can properly manage it. Which I think explains the "It's a progressive disease" excuse for a system that has failed miserably.

I think the numbers would be very very few for success and the failure rate would be legion like.

M

Member496333

Certainly in the case of type 2 I would say that the majority at large have suboptimal or wayward control. For the most part conventional intervention is topsy-turvy and upside down. Either actively deleterious at worst, or delaying the inevitable decline into complications at best.

It’s very saddening to see, but I do feel that we’re on the cusp of a real paradigm shift in our understanding and treatment of the “disease”. Hopefully the next generation won’t have to endure such a cataclysm of mistreatment and malpractice.

The most saddening and frustrating part, again in the context of type 2, is that the slow turnaround has little or nothing to do with any new revelations in scientific or medical understanding. They, whoever “they” are, have known almost from the start that inappropriate carbohydrate consumption is at the heart of diabetes. It’s taken the wisdom of crowds for us to wake up and smell what they shovellin’ - if it were left to the anointed we would continue to be advised to make our condition as bad as possible until the end of time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed in Dec 17 I was told it would be progressive and offered metformin which I declined. The DN drew me the eatwell plate which I still have in my folder. Had I followed her advice it would be progressive but thankfully I googled 'reversing diabetes' and found this amazing forum and LCHF woe. I managed to get my hba1c down from 62 to 39 within 6 months.

My DN at my 6 month appointment said 'nobody has done what you are doing' I thought she meant taking articles and info into her and asked for clarification. She clarified by saying getting my hba1c down. This DN was my mum's for many years before she passed away 12 years ago! By that time she was insulin dependent, registered blind and had had a stroke. Sores on her legs that wouldn't heal. Badly managed BS levels. And this is why I'm on a mission to try to help change things for us. We need to be at least given a choice. Given the right advice many more would be managing well.

I made an appointment with my Dr to discuss. He told me I would have had the same results with low fat/low cal diet. After that appointment i emailed my surgery asking for stats of the patients who had done what I did. I expected high figures going off what my Dr had said.

This was the exact reply from both of the DNs:

The only patients who have done this to my knowledge at the surgery is post bariatric surgery, Jo/Karen.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
When I was diagnosed in Dec 17 I was told it would be progressive and offered metformin which I declined. The DN drew me the eatwell plate which I still have in my folder. Had I followed her advice it would be progressive but thankfully I googled 'reversing diabetes' and found this amazing forum and LCHF woe. I managed to get my hba1c down from 62 to 39 within 6 months.

My DN at my 6 month appointment said 'nobody has done what you are doing' I thought she meant taking articles and info into her and asked for clarification. She clarified by saying getting my hba1c down. This DN was my mum's for many years before she passed away 12 years ago! By that time she was insulin dependent, registered blind and had had a stroke. Sores on her legs that wouldn't heal. Badly managed BS levels. And this is why I'm on a mission to try to help change things for us. We need to be at least given a choice. Given the right advice many more would be managing well.

I made an appointment with my Dr to discuss. He told me I would have had the same results with low fat/low cal diet. After that appointment i emailed my surgery asking for stats of the patients who had done what I did. I expected high figures going off what my Dr had said.

This was the exact reply from both of the DNs:

The only patients who have done this to my knowledge at the surgery is post bariatric surgery, Jo/Karen.

This is the great thing about the internet.... we have access to information that we didn't have before it.

Reactions: Flora123

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope your doctor is now eating a high hat diet.

I must say they have listened to me. They have read the stuff I took in, I wrote every single staff members name on the big brown envelope that i wanted to see. Got all names from googling the 2 x surgeries. I joined the ppg to try and help other patients. The doctors just this week have started referring fellow diabetics to me for help and support. They are also backing me all the way giving talks on how I've done it with LCHF so things are changing.. .. quite quickly. Quismet approval for LCP. Of course Drs can now prescribe the LCP. There is can app in the NHS library.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...al-to-be-recommended-by-the-nhs-94355134.html

M

Member496333

I must say they have listened to me. They have read the stuff I took in, I wrote every single staff members name on the big brown envelope that i wanted to see. Got all names from googling the 2 x surgeries. I joined the ppg to try and help other patients. The doctors just this week have started referring fellow diabetics to me for help and support. They are also backing me all the way giving talks on how I've done it with LCHF so things are changing.. .. quite quickly. Quismet approval for LCP. Of course Drs can now prescribe the LCP. There is can app in the NHS library.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...al-to-be-recommended-by-the-nhs-94355134.html

Yeah I know, I’ve been following your story. Hence why I wondered if your doctor had since eaten his hat :D

Keep up the good work!

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

thanks!
Hi
Speaking as a type 1 who no matter how hard I try have a roller-coaster of blood sugar readings most days due to life's pressures. And supporting a child with type 1 who has access to all the latest technology which is denied me by the NHS because I am an adult. Don't get me wrong all children in the UK should have access to all the technologies to improve their life but then so should all adults too. I do not have a simpler form of the disease nor is it easier to manage. I have the same disease. Having heard how pump technology will transform the child's life and even out the roller coaster numbers. Until us adults get easier access some of us cannot hope to have less deviation.
I understand all the difficulties in financing the NHS but why is there no middle ground to pay a monthly fee for technology if we should wish. It is nhs or pay up front.

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Hello!

thanks!
I’m with you, I count carbs and 1 unit can range between 5-16 grams if I mention this to the nurses they stare through me like there’s a naked man dancing behind me and then change the subject

Reactions: hodders
D

Deleted Account

Is it possible to answer your question?
Given optimal diabetes management could obsificate diabetes symptoms, 9 out of 10 people with diabetes have type 2 and many people with type 2 would like to manage their diabetes without drugs, would these people still be considered/registered as having diabetes?

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Is it possible to answer your question?
Given optimal diabetes management could obsificate diabetes symptoms, 9 out of 10 people with diabetes have type 2 and many people with type 2 would like to manage their diabetes without drugs, would these people still be considered/registered as having diabetes?

Mmm