1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What percentage of people do not have optimal diabetic management?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Rabdos, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Rabdos

Rabdos Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello!

I assume the optical diabetic management means that the blood glucose curve after a meal follows the natural shape and anything deviating from that is not properly managed diabetes.

What percentage of people cannot have properly managed diabetes despite medication, insulin etc?

thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 4
  3. Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think there are statistics available, as I don't think there is any country collecting data of all diabetics. There are probably pretty big differences per country as well. @Alison Campbell 's link is pretty informative, though, but it doesn't show the percentage of diabetics keeping non diabetic levels.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Until you joined this forum, that is :)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

The OP has had it explained to him / her over the last couple of years as well. :meh:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Going by the rising (and devastating) rates of amputation then I would say too many. One boffin mentioned one amputation every two minutes worldwide. Some of the island peoples' rates of dialysis are crippling their health systems too. It is very sad.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

For T2's - based on conventional guideline treatments and diet advice, I don't see how anyone can properly manage it. Which I think explains the "It's a progressive disease" excuse for a system that has failed miserably.

I think the numbers would be very very few for success and the failure rate would be legion like.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  9. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Certainly in the case of type 2 I would say that the majority at large have suboptimal or wayward control. For the most part conventional intervention is topsy-turvy and upside down. Either actively deleterious at worst, or delaying the inevitable decline into complications at best.

It’s very saddening to see, but I do feel that we’re on the cusp of a real paradigm shift in our understanding and treatment of the “disease”. Hopefully the next generation won’t have to endure such a cataclysm of mistreatment and malpractice.

The most saddening and frustrating part, again in the context of type 2, is that the slow turnaround has little or nothing to do with any new revelations in scientific or medical understanding. They, whoever “they” are, have known almost from the start that inappropriate carbohydrate consumption is at the heart of diabetes. It’s taken the wisdom of crowds for us to wake up and smell what they shovellin’ - if it were left to the anointed we would continue to be advised to make our condition as bad as possible until the end of time.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #9 Jim Lahey, Feb 3, 2019 at 7:49 AM
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  10. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

When I was diagnosed in Dec 17 I was told it would be progressive and offered metformin which I declined. The DN drew me the eatwell plate which I still have in my folder. Had I followed her advice it would be progressive but thankfully I googled 'reversing diabetes' and found this amazing forum and LCHF woe. I managed to get my hba1c down from 62 to 39 within 6 months.

My DN at my 6 month appointment said 'nobody has done what you are doing' I thought she meant taking articles and info into her and asked for clarification. She clarified by saying getting my hba1c down. This DN was my mum's for many years before she passed away 12 years ago! By that time she was insulin dependent, registered blind and had had a stroke. Sores on her legs that wouldn't heal. Badly managed BS levels. And this is why I'm on a mission to try to help change things for us. We need to be at least given a choice. Given the right advice many more would be managing well.

I made an appointment with my Dr to discuss. He told me I would have had the same results with low fat/low cal diet. After that appointment i emailed my surgery asking for stats of the patients who had done what I did. I expected high figures going off what my Dr had said.

This was the exact reply from both of the DNs:

The only patients who have done this to my knowledge at the surgery is post bariatric surgery, Jo/Karen.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

This is the great thing about the internet.... we have access to information that we didn't have before it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Jim Lahey

Hope your doctor is now eating a high hat diet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Jim Lahey

Exactly. The wisdom of crowds is turning it around. Not any new revelations.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I must say they have listened to me. They have read the stuff I took in, I wrote every single staff members name on the big brown envelope that i wanted to see. Got all names from googling the 2 x surgeries. I joined the ppg to try and help other patients. The doctors just this week have started referring fellow diabetics to me for help and support. They are also backing me all the way giving talks on how I've done it with LCHF so things are changing.. .. quite quickly. Quismet approval for LCP. Of course Drs can now prescribe the LCP. There is can app in the NHS library.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...al-to-be-recommended-by-the-nhs-94355134.html

• Winner Winner x 3
  15. Jim Lahey

Yeah I know, I’ve been following your story. Hence why I wondered if your doctor had since eaten his hat :D

Keep up the good work!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. hodders

hodders Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi
    Speaking as a type 1 who no matter how hard I try have a roller-coaster of blood sugar readings most days due to life's pressures. And supporting a child with type 1 who has access to all the latest technology which is denied me by the NHS because I am an adult. Don't get me wrong all children in the UK should have access to all the technologies to improve their life but then so should all adults too. I do not have a simpler form of the disease nor is it easier to manage. I have the same disease. Having heard how pump technology will transform the child's life and even out the roller coaster numbers. Until us adults get easier access some of us cannot hope to have less deviation.
    I understand all the difficulties in financing the NHS but why is there no middle ground to pay a monthly fee for technology if we should wish. It is nhs or pay up front.

17. slikwipman

slikwipman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’m with you, I count carbs and 1 unit can range between 5-16 grams if I mention this to the nurses they stare through me like there’s a naked man dancing behind me and then change the subject

• Like Like x 1
  18. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

Is it possible to answer your question?
    Given optimal diabetes management could obsificate diabetes symptoms, 9 out of 10 people with diabetes have type 2 and many people with type 2 would like to manage their diabetes without drugs, would these people still be considered/registered as having diabetes?

19. slikwipman

slikwipman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Mmm

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook