Telling off for self testing

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 controlled by diet & exercise & have just had my first annual review. To say it didn't go well would be an understatement, I actually got a good telling off for self testing. I was told that if they deemed it necessary then a meter would have been prescribed so why was I doing it. I replied that I was eating to my meter in the hope of controlling my diabetes & not putting myself at risk of complications. The DN said that it was a waste of time as I would have to test all day long as it changes. My food diary didn't get looked at & I left feeling really emotional like a naughty child.
Am I wrong for testing my blood ?

Reactions: Rosie B
M

Member496333

I am type 2 controlled by diet & exercise & have just had my first annual review. To say it didn't go well would be an understatement, I actually got a good telling off for self testing. I was told that if they deemed it necessary then a meter would have been prescribed so why was I doing it. I replied that I was eating to my meter in the hope of controlling my diabetes & not putting myself at risk of complications. The DN said that it was a waste of time as I would have to test all day long as it changes. My food diary didn't get looked at & I left feeling really emotional like a naughty child.

No you’re not doing the wrong thing. You’re doing precisely the right thing. Ignore your nurse and do as you wish. You’re the one living with diabetes while she gets to go home at night and forget about it.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Not at all.

You are doing it so you can monitor yourself and see how different foods affect your readings. Its a form of self-help. Unfortunately there is a great reluctance amongst some Diabetic Nurses to see the benefits and prescriptions of monitors for Type 2s are few and far between.
So carry on. I do. I paid for mine myself so I am not burdening the NHS and I am certainly not harming anyone by self-testing.

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No you’re not doing the wrong thing. You’re doing precisely the right thing. Ignore your nurse and do as you wish. You’re the one living with diabetes while she gets to go home at night and forget about it.
I cannot believe that they would just depend on an annual blood test when it is such a progressive disease.

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not at all.

You are doing it so you can monitor yourself and see how different foods affect your readings. Its a form of self-help. Unfortunately there is a great reluctance amongst some Diabetic Nurses to see the benefits and prescriptions of monitors for Type 2s are few and far between.
So carry on. I do. I paid for mine myself so I am not burdening the NHS and I am certainly not harming anyone by self-testing.
I am going to carry on self testing, I am quite happy to buy the testing gear and not be a burden on the NHS but I hated being made to feel that I was a hypochondriac doing something completely unnecessary.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your DN's opinion as to what could be an "issue" should be ignored. Just ask your surgery for a printout of your results.

Reactions: Rosie B and CABIRD

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your DN's opinion as to what could be an "issue" should be ignored. Just ask your surgery for a printout of your results.
They said that they have to get authorisation from the Doctor before giving out copies

Reactions: CABIRD

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The DN said that it was a waste of time
If you decide to 'waste your time' testing, it's none of her business, and certainly not her time you waste if indeed any time is wasted at all. I'm appalled! Is there a chance you can see a different DN next time? You shouldn't be made to feel that you're a hypochondriac. You're doing the only sensible thing.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They said that they have to get authorisation from the Doctor before giving out copies
Well tell them to get it then! You are entitled to a printout of your results for your own records.

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your money, your fingers but above all it’s your diabetes. If you’re in England you should be able to register to see your results on line.
I am in England and I will ask my Doctor for online access. I asked at reception and they said I have to request it online but I cannot find where.

Reactions: Prem51 and jjraak

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you decide to 'waste your time' testing, it's none of her business, and certainly not her time you waste if indeed any time is wasted at all. I'm appalled! Is there a chance you can see a different DN next time? You shouldn't be made to feel that you're a hypochondriac. You're doing the only sensible thing.
Thankyou for that, I think she is the only one at the surgery so I need to harden up a bit before the next one.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
…….. as I would have to test all day long...... QUOTE]
And that bit's rubbish n all. You are not wrong, keep on doing what you are doing, and hopefully you will be able to get your results online from your surgery, although not all surgeries allow this. Please don't let the DN upset you - they need to up their bedside manner.....

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My surgery don't put results on line. It's a local decision. I asked at reception how to do it and they gave me a code which I had to use to register.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

No!

Diabetes UK - Knowing your blood sugar levels helps you manage your diabetes and reduces your risk of having serious complications – now and in the future.

Diabetes.co.uk - In the UK, the National Health Service (NHS) does not permit people with type 2 diabetes who are not treated with insulin access to diabetes test strips on prescription unless doctors state a legitimate reason or benefit for a particular patient. “Permit” seems an odd choice of words, “encourage” might be better. This I imagine is because they will not give you a prescription for the strips. Diabetes.co.uk go on to say - However, there is now a bank of evidence that structured Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose (SMBG) can have positive effects on people with non-insulin dependent type 2 diabetes, including helping them to better understand their condition, reduce their HbA1c levels, and improve their diabetes control.

American Association of Diabetes - One of the researchers commented that study participants said that sticking to a regular, self-monitoring schedule really helped them to know where their blood levels were and take appropriate action, such as adding physical activity or choosing a healthy snack. They also said it helped them to accept that they had diabetes and to feel confident that they could control it rather than letting it control them. (American Association of Diabetes Educators, Aug. 5, 2015)

I expect we could find a lot more of these recommendations from different diabetes bodies.

I think the best thing is to ask your DN a very simple question.

Over the next year, how do I tell if my diet and exercise regime are helping me to control my BG. Are you honestly telling me that I have to wait a year to find out that my BG is out of control and if so, how do I prevent the damage done by having poor BG control.

Maybe diabetic patients with complications make her feel that she's more important and needed. DOn't worry about her too much, I think the NHS is guilty of endangering our lives in a ridiculous effort to reduce costs, offset by billions of pounds required to treat complications.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
The person who told you that is a ****!!!