Telling off for self testing

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Your DN's opinion as to what could be an "issue" should be ignored. Just ask your surgery for a printout of your results.
You do need the exact numbers and not just to be told they are "OK" or not

Reactions: xfieldok

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery don't put results on line. It's a local decision. I asked at reception how to do it and they gave me a code which I had to use to register.
I had registered online but didn't tick the access box to records, I just need to find out how to amend this

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No!

Diabetes UK - Knowing your blood sugar levels helps you manage your diabetes and reduces your risk of having serious complications – now and in the future.

Diabetes.co.uk - In the UK, the National Health Service (NHS) does not permit people with type 2 diabetes who are not treated with insulin access to diabetes test strips on prescription unless doctors state a legitimate reason or benefit for a particular patient. “Permit” seems an odd choice of words, “encourage” might be better. This I imagine is because they will not give you a prescription for the strips. Diabetes.co.uk go on to say - However, there is now a bank of evidence that structured Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose (SMBG) can have positive effects on people with non-insulin dependent type 2 diabetes, including helping them to better understand their condition, reduce their HbA1c levels, and improve their diabetes control.

American Association of Diabetes - One of the researchers commented that study participants said that sticking to a regular, self-monitoring schedule really helped them to know where their blood levels were and take appropriate action, such as adding physical activity or choosing a healthy snack. They also said it helped them to accept that they had diabetes and to feel confident that they could control it rather than letting it control them. (American Association of Diabetes Educators, Aug. 5, 2015)

I expect we could find a lot more of these recommendations from different diabetes bodies.

I think the best thing is to ask your DN a very simple question.

Over the next year, how do I tell if my diet and exercise regime are helping me to control my BG. Are you honestly telling me that I have to wait a year to find out that my BG is out of control and if so, how do I prevent the damage done by having poor BG control.

Maybe diabetic patients with complications make her feel that she's more important and needed. DOn't worry about her too much, I think the NHS is guilty of endangering our lives in a ridiculous effort to reduce costs, offset by billions of pounds required to treat complications.
Thankyou for your reply, it certainly makes sense & ammunition for next year when I am asked if I am still self testing

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Sometimes DNs need a 'gentle' reminder that their job is to support you to manage your diabetes. If you choose to get a meter and strips and test at your own expense then that is your way of managing your diabetes and nothing to do with her at all unless you ask her for advice about it.

I haven't had this exact problem but i did once have to remind a DN (theres a different one every time i go for a review) that I'm an adult and capable of making my own researched/educated decisions.

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes DNs need a 'gentle' reminder that their job is to support you to manage your diabetes. If you choose to get a meter and strips and test at your own expense then that is your way of managing your diabetes and nothing to do with her at all unless you ask her for advice about it.

I haven't had this exact problem but i did once have to remind a DN (theres a different one every time i go for a review) that I'm an adult and capable of making my own researched/educated decisions.
Good advice & I will give that a try next time
Thankyou

Reactions: Energize

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You do need the exact numbers and not just to be told they are "OK" or not

You certainly do.

I had a test in December 2015, and was told by the receptionist that it was OK, and no change from my last one.

I didn't find out until the following April that in fact the only thing that hadn't changed was my total cholesterol number, and most other numbers had improved and in fact my HbA1c had gone from 32 to 26.

Lesson learned.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite appalling. That DN should be ashamed at her patronising and quite frankly harmful advice. Testing once a year is ridiculous.

You are doing the right thing and being responsible for the management of your own condition.

One of the things I have found hard is gaining an acceptance that I have Diabetes. Regular structured self testing is the only way for me to really get to grips with the cold hard fact that what I eat will have major impacts on my blood sugar.

If I had listened to my DN, who actively discouraged self testing and told me that I would inevitably get increasing complications and become disabled and or dead as a direct result of my "progressive" condition, then I would still be looking at very high numbers and would probably have progressed to more and more drugs. That is if I hadn't also sunk into a massive depression at my terrible prospects of blindness, amputation, stroke, dementia and heart disease and taken the quick way out and booked a one way ticket to Dignitas. She was a cheery soul.

Fortunately I had found this forum first...

Reactions: Prem51 and EllieM

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd have told her not to bother looking at the speedometer as she drives home - why bother when the authorities will send a letter notifying her of the fines if she goes too fast.

Reactions: xfieldok

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite appalling. That DN should be ashamed at her patronising and quite frankly harmful advice. Testing once a year is ridiculous.

You are doing the right thing and being responsible for the management of your own condition.

One of the things I have found hard is gaining an acceptance that I have Diabetes. Regular structured self testing is the only way for me to really get to grips with the cold hard fact that what I eat will have major impacts on my blood sugar.

If I had listened to my DN, who actively discouraged self testing and told me that I would inevitably get increasing complications and become disabled and or dead as a direct result of my "progressive" condition, then I would still be looking at very high numbers and would probably have progressed to more and more drugs. That is if I hadn't also sunk into a massive depression at my terrible prospects of blindness, amputation, stroke, dementia and heart disease and taken the quick way out and booked a one way ticket to Dignitas. She was a cheery soul.

Phew.. we're very glad you did too..!

Reactions: jjraak

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Atad heavy

I doubt you can register for test results on-line because you have to complete a consent form and provide photo ID. The GP then authorises this and you are given a code for initial access. If you already have on-line access to repeats and appointments you still have to go through the rigmarole of the consent form etc. I suggest you try again at the surgery, or search on the surgery's own website. Meanwhile, insist on a print out. It is true the GP has to see the results first, but once he has done that it should be plain sailing. At my surgery the receptionist does all this. There are also posters up round the waiting room about registering for test results on line.

Your nurse is still living on the Ark. Try to see a different one next time.

Reactions: Prem51

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You could say to DN. “I’ve just seen some kids breaking into your car, but it will be ok as the police will probably notice” :)

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Just as well I didn’t tell her that had I known the importance of blood glucose levels that I would have bought a meter & started eating to it when I was diagnosed as pre diabetic.

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Atad heavy

I doubt you can register for test results on-line because you have to complete a consent form and provide photo ID. The GP then authorises this and you are given a code for initial access. If you already have on-line access to repeats and appointments you still have to go through the rigmarole of the consent form etc. I suggest you try again at the surgery, or search on the surgery's own website. Meanwhile, insist on a print out. It is true the GP has to see the results first, but once he has done that it should be plain sailing. At my surgery the receptionist does all this. There are also posters up round the waiting room about registering for test results on line.

Your nurse is still living on the Ark. Try to see a different one next time.
Thankyou that explains a lot as I am registered for meds & appointments so perhaps the receptionist didn’t realise that, no mention of consent form so I will investigate

pumas

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are you saying your review has taken place before this year's test results are available?

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you saying your review has taken place before this year's test results are available?
Yes, the blood tests were part of it along with blood pressure, feet, urine test & eye screening results

pumas

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
To be clear, did the DN have the blood tests RESULTS, but didn't share them with you?

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Thankyou for that, I think she is the only one at the surgery so I need to harden up a bit before the next one.

....or change your GP? Honestly what planet did she fall from. They aren't all like that @Atad heavy, mine's lovely. Chin up and keep at it :)

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had registered online but didn't tick the access box to records, I just need to find out how to amend this
Usually have to go to surgery with proof of who you are for the 2nd level of access. Passport or driving licence should be fine.

Reactions: Prem51