What do you find the hardest about living with diabetes?

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Hardest ?.

Finding foods I genuinely enjoy eating. Its not so much trying to replace that sweet tooth craving I had but knowing I had more variety before and now it feels very restricted to the point where I just eat because I have to.

Reactions: Ponchu

KTNIC

@Tracey27 I'm the same, 3mths to get levels down. I refused to take the metformin route, I said to my doc that I'd do it with lifestyle changes and that's what I will do. But yes, it's tough. Changing habits of a lifetime is not easy, so I've started to change the way I look at it - I don't have a choice anymore, this is what has to happen. I was diagnosed on 4th October and immediately cut out ALL the carbs, because I didnt know what I was supposed to be doing, and also, I was scared/overwhelmed by the diagnosis and implications. Then I had something like that of a fake-hypo, dizzy, woozy, faint, no energy. I stopped no carbs and switched to low carbs, under 30g a day. I also got on this group and asked a bazillion questions. In the past 3 weeks I feel I've gone from being totally overwhelmed, to being somewhat in control of this now, my head feels calmer, not so 'this is a disaster', but strength is found from reading. I literally wrote down ALL the questions I had about diabetes and then searched through this forum and online, and asked questions here. The folks on these forums are magnificent! It'll help you immensely, trust me. Read up on it all then start working out a plan you can work with.

The trick is to go easy on yourself, it's a major change that needs to happen but it's not the end of the world. The only thing is, it'll teach you to get real with yourself, real quick. It's a wake up call but you're fully in control of this - you can change your lifestyle to suit your lifestyle, if that makes sense. The 'old' you will be replaced with someone who is stronger, powerful and in full control of their health. When the scare of the diagnosis wears off, it's easier to start to work through a 'fighter' mentality - It's about taking baby steps, figuring out what works for you in terms of diet and exercise, changing old habits by finding alternatives. For example - you won't be able to smash a big pack of Haribo or chocolate for treats, but you could have a full packet of sugar free jelly with a dollop of sugar free jam on it - negligible sugar, no carbs and no fat and super low on calories. Options and alternatives.

I'm new to this too and yup, it's hard to just change habits of a lifetime (especially weekend treats/cravings), but all you can do is one day at a time. But try flipping the way you're thinking of it - the diagnosis is giving you an opportunity to start fuelling your body and mind, you get to be responsible for them both now, not the other way around. Honestly, it's a positive thing, forget about what you're losing, essentially all that is is food based which you can find alternatives to - just think about all the things you're gaining from this, ultimately, a stronger you. 3 months? No problem, you'll do it.

What a brilliant and honest post. I must try your philosophy! It's the not knowing what's right and wrong to eat that's getting to me. So many conflicting advice. I've found it easyish to cut out the chocolate, cake, biscuits, even the large amounts of wine I drank!
But like you I have a million questions.

KTNIC

Yes it is a real shock and depressing but being type 2 most can get into normal blood glucose by twisting their diet and eat low enough levels of carbs like under 100 grams a Day

If you start the Day with a meal almost without carbs it is easier like ham and cheese, or bacon and eggs, or avocado with taxi and mayo. A handful of nuts and coffee with cream Or a little beef with some tomatoes

In this forum, you can get the support from all of us in here and knowledge by reading and asking. Welcome here and it gets easier along the road if we take it seriously right away but at the same time allow us self some time to get our head around all the new ways of eating.

I'm a newbie. Not got a monitor yet. Breakfast today was porridge ( not instant) semi skimmed milk/water + blueberries, cinnamon & mixture of seeds. Is this ok? Lunch , scrambled eggs, seeded toast, tomatoes & watercress etc.
Spent half an hour in Sainsbury's checking labels and using the change 4 life scanner!!!!!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a newbie. Not got a monitor yet. Breakfast today was porridge ( not instant) semi skimmed milk/water + blueberries, cinnamon & mixture of seeds. Is this ok? Lunch , scrambled eggs, seeded toast, tomatoes & watercress etc.
Spent half an hour in Sainsbury's checking labels and using the change 4 life scanner!!!!!
Hi. When you get your meter you’ll be able to tell what spikes you as an individual. Test immediately before a meal and then 2 hrs after. If it’s the slow release type of carb or there’s a lot of fat with it it’s worth testing again after that jst in case it’s still on the way up.

The following advice applies to type 2. If you are on any meds that lower blood glucose (gliclazide for example or insulin) you need to monitor levels closely and adjust meds accordingly, ideally with hcp support. As you eat fewer carbs you’ll likely need less meds or you risk going too low which can be very serious.

It’s not always the same for everyone but there are some main suspects highly likely to cause spikes. Porridge is on that list as is toast. Many replace milk with cream, watered down if required or at the very least use full fat and limit quantities. Generally you want to minimise or avoid any grains that includes breads, crisps, typical flours, cereals and oats and also seed oils. Also rice, pasta and potatoes of any colour. Fruit is generally not your friend with the exception of berries and avocado. Instead and to replace the energy you got from these fats from meats, cheeses, other dairy including butter, cream and Greek full fat yoghurts. Also good oils like coconut, olive and avocado. Nuts too. Vegetables are best generally from above ground sources but there are a few beneath ground ones that aren’t too bad, eg carrot, swede and turnip and a few above ground that aren’t as good as others eg peas and sweet corn. Dark chocolate, ideally 85% is allowed.

Dietdoctor.com and ditchthecarbs.com both have some great food lists and visuals giving you an idea of the good and not so good options. Both have lots of recipes too. Most things you currently eat have an alternative, albeit some are a better imitation than others.

Not sure what the change for life scanner is or what it priories as “good”.

Reactions: Sue192

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

a breakfast without carbs is not porridge which is a high carb meal, toast is a high carb food as well

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I really miss porridge, especially on these cold winter mornings. I generally have ff Greek yoghurt and a few berries while my OH has a big bowl of hot porridge with a spoon full of golden syrup mixed in - lovely! Wish there was a lc alternative.

Reactions: Tophat1900

KTNIC

Hi. When you get your meter you’ll be able to tell what spikes you as an individual. Test immediately before a meal and then 2 hrs after. If it’s the slow release type of carb or there’s a lot of fat with it it’s worth testing again after that jst in case it’s still on the way up.

The following advice applies to type 2. If you are on any meds that lower blood glucose (gliclazide for example or insulin) you need to monitor levels closely and adjust meds accordingly, ideally with hcp support. As you eat fewer carbs you’ll likely need less meds or you risk going too low which can be very serious.

It’s not always the same for everyone but there are some main suspects highly likely to cause spikes. Porridge is on that list as is toast. Many replace milk with cream, watered down if required or at the very least use full fat and limit quantities. Generally you want to minimise or avoid any grains that includes breads, crisps, typical flours, cereals and oats and also seed oils. Also rice, pasta and potatoes of any colour. Fruit is generally not your friend with the exception of berries and avocado. Instead and to replace the energy you got from these fats from meats, cheeses, other dairy including butter, cream and Greek full fat yoghurts. Also good oils like coconut, olive and avocado. Nuts too. Vegetables are best generally from above ground sources but there are a few beneath ground ones that aren’t too bad, eg carrot, swede and turnip and a few above ground that aren’t as good as others eg peas and sweet corn. Dark chocolate, ideally 85% is allowed.

Dietdoctor.com and ditchthecarbs.com both have some great food lists and visuals giving you an idea of the good and not so good options. Both have lots of recipes too. Most things you currently eat have an alternative, albeit some are a better imitation than others.

Not sure what the change for life scanner is or what it priories as “good”.

Thank you. I was told to eat porridge by the diabetes nurse! Never said anything when I said I ate at least 3 fruits a day. I do eat either blueberries or raspberries every day .

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I was told to eat porridge by the diabetes nurse! Never said anything when I said I ate at least 3 fruits a day. I do eat either blueberries or raspberries every day .
That’s because many of them still follow the eatwell plate as advocated by the nhs and don’t have to live with the consequences of eating the carbs we don’t process properly. That recommends starchy carbs and fruit. There is little differentiation between diabetics and non diabetics. Recognising the benefits of low carb eating by the nhs is a slow process that is very gradually happening.

KTNIC

That’s because many of them still follow the eatwell plate as advocated by the nhs and don’t have to live with the consequences of eating the carbs we don’t process properly. That recommends starchy carbs and fruit. There is little differentiation between diabetics and non diabetics. Recognising the benefits of low carb eating by the nhs is a slow process that is very gradually happening.

Thanks . I have looked at the ditch the carbs website. Interesting! No longer will I have to leave the kitchen when my other half is cooking bacon!!! I will have aloof at the other site later.
What is keto? I'm sorry to be so ill informed! There's so much stuff out there! Also what do you know about the Nhs Desmond programme.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks . I have looked at the ditch the carbs website. Interesting! No longer will I have to leave the kitchen when my other half is cooking bacon!!! I will have aloof at the other site later.
What is keto? I'm sorry to be so ill informed! There's so much stuff out there! Also what do you know about the Nhs Desmond programme.
Keto is also low carb, but low enough to take you into a state of ketosis where your body switches into burning fat for fuel instead of glucose. Some apply additional criteria of which foods qualify, others are concerned purely for being in ketosis. Both sites have descriptions and explanations. You’ll hear specific grams of carbs mentioned , often 20. That’s just the number pretty much guaranteed to get everyone into to it. Some do it with higher numbers up to 50 ish isn’t uncommon. Common issues are eating too much or not enough fat and dehydration and electrolyte loss. All easily rectified. Do some reading and check back in if you’re interested on the low carb forum.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really miss porridge, especially on these cold winter mornings. I generally have ff Greek yoghurt and a few berries while my OH has a big bowl of hot porridge with a spoon full of golden syrup mixed in - lovely! Wish there was a lc alternative.
There is a coconut flour version ala @Rachox hopefully she’ll post it for you soon. It’s good.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For anything you miss do a google search with the words low carb or keto added. You’ll find lots of ideas and sites that help.

Reactions: Concordjan

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

There is a coconut flour version ala @Rachox hopefully she’ll post it for you soon. It’s good.

Here’s my all time favourite low carb breakfast! Coconut ‘porridge’ I eat it with a couple of chopped up strawberries and double cream every day :hungry:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Thank you for that, I’ll certainly give it a go.

Reactions: Ponchu

Ponchu

Looking at home made breads ...

“You can never have this again.”

Variety can become an issue when we’ve been raised on it.

I’ve had a few chicken meals w only chicken.

I’ve enjoyed them but it’s weird.

I’ve a half century worth of

Meat
Potato
Vegetable
Roll
Dessert

Or
Various combos of pasta, breads etc.

“You can have this but you’ll need Rx to lower BG.”

I recognize it’s not always this simple.

I’ve learned from watching & talking to Type 2’s who have “diabetes burn out” who now eat whatever the hell they want and rely on meds.

I don’t condemn them for this.

I’ve only been controlling Type 2 for 6 months (less than 20 carbs per day).

nicky-52

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been diagnosed as T2 on Friday of last week so my head is still trying to take everything in...my 'scare factor' at the moment seems to be that I'm going to need to totally change my lifestyle, which is doable, BUT the bit that worries me is if I can break 20+ years of basically what amounts to bad habits and have the willpower and discipline to be consistent with it. I know it now *has* to happen, but goodness me it plagues the mind, for sure!

Anyone else feel overwhelmed at the task ahead??
The worst thing about diabetes, is you never get a day off

Reactions: Pasha

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Could go on to a proper whinge fest here :depressed::confused::sour::banghead::arghh::bigtears::grumpy:

Winnie-the-Pooh

I of course find the food part hard , but I can handle my new diet since I feel I can still find things I enjoy to eat .

What I hate most and what hurts me most is the uncertainty, how long I will be insulin free , how hard it is , what if I loose my job and so my insurance ( I’m from US so no public health insurance). How long I can work as hard to maintain my career ? What happens after retirement ? My job requires me to travel overseas frequently. How I gonna manage it ? How my diabetes affect my eyes, my kidney and my General well being ? Am I type 2 or lada or MODY? I have a very successful career as a scientist and worked so hard for it . What happens to it now ? There is so much on my mind.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I of course find the food part hard , but I can handle my new diet since I feel I can still find things I enjoy to eat .

What I hate most and what hurts me most is the uncertainty, how long I will be insulin free , how hard it is , what if I loose my job and so my insurance ( I’m from US so no public health insurance). How long I can work as hard to maintain my career ? What happens after retirement ? My job requires me to travel overseas frequently. How I gonna manage it ? How my diabetes affect my eyes, my kidney and my General well being ? Am I type 2 or lada or MODY? I have a very successful career as a scientist and worked so hard for it . What happens to it now ? There is so much on my mind.
You take a deep breath and keep going. Your a scientist so read papers and studies and learn. Collect your data and act on it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I totally agree with @Diakat
Knowledge is power.
Knowledge is also very, very, reassuring, because it prevents you from falling for the scaremongering - and there is a whole shedload of that, all over the internet. and in so called 'general knowledge' offered by 'well meaning' friends, family and colleagues.

Basically, don't take anything that anyone says at face value - even what I am saying to you now.
Listen to them, remember what they said.
Then check up on it - carefully.
Most of what the media and the general public know about diabetes (any type) is so simplified that it makes no sense.
So slowly, at your own pace, build up your own knowledge base.
It is astonishingly reassuring.
:)

Reactions: Diakat