Can anyone help shed some light on what's happening please?

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly I know my levels are quite high atm I'm trying really hard to get them down (only got diagnosed just over 2 weeks ago) but now I seem to be going the wrong way. I was starting to get 6-7 but now I'm creeping back up into the 8s :(
Here's what I've eaten and drank yesterday and so far today
B: 2 low carb homemade raspberry muffins (I've had these before and they didn't spike my blood so didn't test 2 hours later) black tea
L: Salad sandwich with 2 slices of hovis lower carb bread before eating my level was 7 and after it went up to 7.9 so no spike had that with black tea. Then I had a coffee made with cream
T: 2 x 90% meat sausages, swede and carrot mash and a bit of gravy.again no spike. For a snack after I tested again 2 hours later I had 25g of Mixed nuts and a small bag of pork scratchings that's it
I tested before bed and got 7.6
This morning on waking I tested and got
7.8 had my breakfast shortly after (2 low carb raspberry muffins and a coffee made with full fat milk) I didn't have time to test again due to work so I tested just before lunch and got 8.2 :( ill test again in 2 hours
Where am I going wrong?
Tia

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190205-112652.jpg
    Screenshot_20190205-112652.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 200

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
F
Where am I going wrong?

For me it's eating stuff like "low carb homemade raspberry muffins", and "hovis lower carb bread"

The fake substitutes are rarely as low carb as you think and even more rarely worth eating.

Swede and Carrot mash is also probably not the best choice.

Reactions: Starfish18

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a lot of carby things in your food choices. Maybe revisit your menu and make some changes? Remember, the 2 hour time is just a guideline. Your peaks could be coming earlier or later than that.

The Swede and carrot mash will not be helping. Any food that is squashed, mashed, juiced etc will affect blood sugars a lot more than the same food eaten whole.

Reactions: Starfish18

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Firstly I know my levels are quite high atm I'm trying really hard to get them down (only got diagnosed just over 2 weeks ago) but now I seem to be going the wrong way. I was starting to get 6-7 but now I'm creeping back up into the 8s :(
Here's what I've eaten and drank yesterday and so far today
B: 2 low carb homemade raspberry muffins (I've had these before and they didn't spike my blood so didn't test 2 hours later) black tea
L: Salad sandwich with 2 slices of hovis lower carb bread before eating my level was 7 and after it went up to 7.9 so no spike had that with black tea. Then I had a coffee made with cream
T: 2 x 90% meat sausages, swede and carrot mash and a bit of gravy.again no spike. For a snack after I tested again 2 hours later I had 25g of Mixed nuts and a small bag of pork scratchings that's it
I tested before bed and got 7.6
This morning on waking I tested and got
7.8 had my breakfast shortly after (2 low carb raspberry muffins and a coffee made with full fat milk) I didn't have time to test again due to work so I tested just before lunch and got 8.2 :( ill test again in 2 hours
Where am I going wrong?
Tia
You are only a couple of weeks in and it seems your levels are doing ok as you are only at the beginning of your journey! I very rarely get to 8! I was once told on here diabetes isn’t a race, it’s a marathon. There’s always so many variables and sometimes there are no answers for higher levels.

In comparison to your numbers here are mine (as you can see yours were all in the green unlike mine!)

Attachments

• DED69235-9940-4C44-AC83-E96F38C5BCBE.png
    DED69235-9940-4C44-AC83-E96F38C5BCBE.png
    214.7 KB · Views: 194

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Carbs are everywhere.

The best thing is to avoid pre made food.

Try going with Greek yogert and double cream for starters sweetened with chopped blueberries.

Cold meat and cheese for lunch, you can eat that till you pop. Polish garlic and pepper sausage is a fav of mine (. 1%carb).

Evening. You could have your sausages but have them with leeks and cabbage chopped and stir fried in butter. Would be even better with pork or beef. Maybe chopped chicken breast (lower fat though) .

If you want a TV snack. Beansprouts dusted with salt and pepper, maybe some chilli powder are awesome.

Then see what your numbers are.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbs are everywhere.

The best thing is to avoid pre made food.

Try going with Greek yogert and double cream for starters sweetened with chopped blueberries.

Cold meat and cheese for lunch, you can eat that till you pop. Polish garlic and pepper sausage is a fav of mine (. 1%carb).

Evening. You could have your sausages but have them with leeks and cabbage chopped and stir fried in butter. Would be even better with pork or beef. Maybe chopped chicken breast (lower fat though) .

If you want a TV snack. Beansprouts dusted with salt and pepper, maybe some chilli powder are awesome.

Then see what your numbers are.
Im not a massive fan of yogurt would double cream and chopped blueberries be ok instead?

Reactions: Prem51

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are only a couple of weeks in and it seems your levels are doing ok as you are only at the beginning of your journey! I very rarely get to 8! I was once told on here diabetes isn’t a race, it’s a marathon. There’s always so many variables and sometimes there are no answers for higher levels.

In comparison to your numbers here are mine (as you can see yours were all in the green unlike mine!)
Thank you for that and reminding me diabetes isn't a race its a marathon.
Wow your levels are very high. Do you know why?

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for that and reminding me diabetes isn't a race its a marathon.
Wow your levels are very high. Do you know why?
Hiya, that was on Saturday which was one of my worst days. However I’m always in the red zone and not the green! Still needing my treatment tweaked and insulin potentially changed :).

M

Member496333

Remember when it comes to carbs, even if you don’t “spike” you are still putting more glucose into your body which might be detrimental over time and also reduce your insulin sensitivity. I posted a topic broadly discussing this recently but I suspect it won’t go down too well if I link to it here. You can probably find it through my profile if the mood takes.

Reactions: HSSS and Starfish18

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya, that was on Saturday which was one of my worst days. However I’m always in the red zone and not the green! Still needing my treatment tweaked and insulin potentially changed :).
Bless ya. Hope you manage to get your levels down soon with the right treatment and insulin. It must be a worrying time for you

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember when it comes to carbs, even if you don’t “spike” you are still putting more glucose into your body which might be detrimental over time and also reduce your insulin sensitivity. I posted a topic broadly discussing this recently but I suspect it won’t go down too well if I link to it here. You can probably find it through my profile if the mood takes.
Thank you. That's something I need to bare in mind about carbohydrates

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
None of those numbers are horrendous and if you dial down the carb stuff a bit more they should come down.
Some days though, you might be "high" for other reasons - cooking a bug or a virus, under a bit of stress, rushing around a lot, coffee a bit strong?
If you are eating low carb for a week or two and it's still not coming down then have another think but for now stick with it

Grazer

How do you make your "low carb" muffins - are they just normal flour, but sweetener instead of sugar? Or do you use something like almond flour? If you're just using normal flour, you need to remember that white flour can raise your BGs as much as/more than sugar!

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
None of those numbers are horrendous and if you dial down the carb stuff a bit more they should come down.
Some days though, you might be "high" for other reasons - cooking a bug or a virus, under a bit of stress, rushing around a lot, coffee a bit strong?
If you are eating low carb for a week or two and it's still not coming down then have another think but for now stick with it
Thank you. I do plan to ditch the muffins though and I don't plan to eat bread very often anyway. I'll see how I go. I tested again after my lunch and down to 6.7 now so that's something. I tested twice to make sure it was right

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you make your "low carb" muffins - are they just normal flour, but sweetener instead of sugar? Or do you use something like almond flour? If you're just using normal flour, you need to remember that white flour can raise your BGs as much as/more than sugar!
It's almond flour and bit of coconut flour and the raspberries are the only sweetness

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know what type you are yet? If so it may be worth changing your signature and profile info.
Hopefully your less bad days are a fair bit better than this file. I’d be pestering my team for more support and making bigger changes if not.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you know what type you are yet? If so it may be worth changing your signature and profile info.
Hopefully your less bad days are a fair bit better than this file. I’d be pestering my team for more support and making bigger changes if not.
Still unclear of type. Appointment with consultant next week. C peptide came back low I understand but GAD negative. One doctor said it was type 1 and other said it was defiantly not type 1 and may be MODY. Due to the conflicting information I am waiting til I see my consultant next week who may have a better idea and be able to tell me the correct info. I think the low c peptide in any event suggests I produce very little of my own insulin.

I have a review with the DSN on Thursday to talk about a basal/bolus regime and a catch up.

This particular day was one of the worse I’ve had. My FBG seems to go between 10 and 12.

So basically I’m still no further forward......

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
There is so much advice that could be given. I will give some general tips:

1. If you can walk for 15 - 30 minutes after eating. In diabetics and non-diabetics this is proven to lower spikes, insulin and general glucose numbers.
  2. Sleep qualitively. This is proven to reduce the amount of insulin required to clear meals and is when fat is mainly lost - this is in my top 2 things to do.
  3. Remove snacks, incorporate into your meals
  4. Condense meals circa 16 / 8, 16 / 6 or eventually OMAD
  5. Try to make your last meal early evening (I eat mainly before 17.00)
  6. Do resistance training. Can be as simple as push ups, squats, lunges; up to barbell squats, bench presses, deadlift, lateral pull downs. This will provide leaner muscle which sucks up glucose easier.
The muffins you have will be fine when you reduce your insulin resistance and probably fat in and around your pancreas and liver (I have similar muffins at least 4 out of 7 days without sugar or Stevia and the like).

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is so much advice that could be given. I will give some general tips:

1. If you can walk for 15 - 30 minutes after eating. In diabetics and non-diabetics this is proven to lower spikes, insulin and general glucose numbers.
  2. Sleep qualitively. This is proven to reduce the amount of insulin required to clear meals and is when fat is mainly lost - this is in my top 2 things to do.
  3. Remove snacks, incorporate into your meals
  4. Condense meals circa 16 / 8, 16 / 6 or eventually OMAD
  5. Try to make your last meal early evening (I eat mainly before 17.00)
  6. Do resistance training. Can be as simple as push ups, squats, lunges; up to barbell squats, bench presses, deadlift, lateral pull downs. This will provide leaner muscle which sucks up glucose easier.
The muffins you have will be fine when you reduce your insulin resistance and probably fat in and around your pancreas and liver (I have similar muffins at least 4 out of 7 days without sugar or Stevia and the like).
Thank you for this

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Im not a massive fan of yogurt would double cream and chopped blueberries be ok instead?

Remember your taste and appreciation of food will change with your diet. You might be surprised.
But otherwise yes cream is fine.