ChrisBar

Hi my name is Chris and i am a mother to 3 children 16,13,10 wife to Martin 20 years this year and i am also diabetic - type 1. I don't like to introduce myself as Hi i'm Chris and i'm diabetic! Anyway that aside i have had diabetes 24 years this December. I have been on a pump for 5 years which unfortunately as it is an Animas Vibe i am being forced to change it. My options are Medtronic and Accu-Chek Insight. When i chose my first pump you didn't really know what it entailed but now that i know (!) of this permanent attachment to my body i feel more thought has to be given. I like the Medtronic and i thought i would go for that first off but then being shown the Insight i fell for that one too - i'm a woman can't make my mind up! The reviews i have read though put me off a little with the handheld device which appears to be replaced a lot also I am on Humalog and that means a change of insulin which my husband is nervous off for me having being through quite a journey to get to this place. Any feedback, thoughts or just a friendly introduction would be most appreciated. Have a wonderful Wednesday.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @ChrisBar :)

I am a Medtronic 640g user, been using it over 3 years now, I don't have any other pump experience to speak of, so am used to being attached to a cannula set and wear mine using a belt, it depends what you're looking for as most of them are the same now, if you wanted to use the Enlite CGM then the 640g would be a good choice, have had a few split casing issues with the 640g and have had a replacement within a day, customer service is good, so I don't have any major issues, if I had to choose another pump i'd spend some time on youtube looking up other pump users as you can see alot of pump users showing theirs off there and this would give me a pretty good idea of which one to go for.

Reactions: ChrisBar

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
P.s. I can move your thread to the insulin pump section if you'd prefer ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @ChrisBar Thanks for letting me know, t's been moved now :)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @ChrisBar, Welcome to the forum and what an incredible and successful journey you have had as a T1D!!
I have had T!d for 52 years but only moved to a pump 7 years ago. Living in Australia I had more choice in moving from the Animas Vibe so I have no direct experience with either of the pumps on offer to you.
Just some general comments:
Check the waterproofness rating of each pump, if that is an important feature to you
In the forum search box Right upper corner type in' Medtronic' to see threads on that brand, and same for the 'Insight' or similar words.
One fairly recent thread concerns the difficulty some people were having with the infusion sets of the Roche pumps.
The size of the Medtronic can be off putting after the smaller size of the Animas pump and so consider whether the bulk of the Medtronic pump will be more difficult for you to hide compared to size of the Insight.
I must admit I thought that Humalog could be used in any pump.
But perhaps if you and your husband looked up the 'pictures of insulin profiles' you could at least compare Humalog to whatever short-acting insulin is recommended for the new pump in terms of BSL lowering ability and see how each compares to your own experience of using Humalog. That way you may be reassured a bit or at least know what might happen.
The experience of people on forum who have changed the insulin in their pump may be useful too. I think searching under pumps and Fiasp as well as Fiasp itself might help in that regard or whatever the 'new' proposed insulin is.
Best Wishes for your choice, fellow pumper !!:):):):)

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @ChrisBar I've been IDD a couple of year less than @kitedoc, I moved to pumping around 6 or so years ago.

I've been on the Insight for 3 or so years (second pump) and had to move from Humalog to Nova Rapid which I must say I found very easy to do.

For me personally the pump and then supported by a self funded CGM was ground breaking - never really having so much control in the previous 40 odd years.

From what others have said on here - whichever pump you choose you will like it. Make a list of what you want the pump to do then choose the one that you think will suit you best, even if its based upon its looks :).

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @ChrisBar I've been IDD a couple of year less than @kitedoc, I moved to pumping around 6 or so years ago.

I've been on the Insight for 3 or so years (second pump) and had to move from Humalog to Nova Rapid which I must say I found very easy to do.

For me personally the pump and then supported by a self funded CGM was ground breaking - never really having so much control in the previous 40 odd years.

From what others have said on here - whichever pump you choose you will like it. Make a list of what you want the pump to do then choose the one that you think will suit you best, even if its based upon its looks :).
Thank you for that info !! Any problems with infusion sets @Chas C ?

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
If pump supplies are still available for the old pump, you don’t really have to change pumps. There should be vendors available to sell you supplies for the old pump. You’d just run it out of warranty.

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi my name is Chris and i am a mother to 3 children 16,13,10 wife to Martin 20 years this year and i am also diabetic - type 1. I don't like to introduce myself as Hi i'm Chris and i'm diabetic! Anyway that aside i have had diabetes 24 years this December. I have been on a pump for 5 years which unfortunately as it is an Animas Vibe i am being forced to change it. My options are Medtronic and Accu-Chek Insight. When i chose my first pump you didn't really know what it entailed but now that i know (!) of this permanent attachment to my body i feel more thought has to be given. I like the Medtronic and i thought i would go for that first off but then being shown the Insight i fell for that one too - i'm a woman can't make my mind up! The reviews i have read though put me off a little with the handheld device which appears to be replaced a lot also I am on Humalog and that means a change of insulin which my husband is nervous off for me having being through quite a journey to get to this place. Any feedback, thoughts or just a friendly introduction would be most appreciated. Have a wonderful Wednesday.

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I’ve been on Medtronic pumps for 6 years now and have always used Humalog in them,apart for about 3 months when I switched to Nova Rapid. I returned to Humalog as it seems to suit me better. I’m using the 640g.

Keep Smiling!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
hi

Keep Smiling!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Chris, I have been an Animas Vibe user for 8 years and used Dexcom CGM for 5 years. Has worked well for me. I am trying to move to Medtronic 670G. only just become available in UK but used in USA since 2015. Needs CGM and will regulate basal using Smartguard. would love to hear from anyone who has accessed this. SuziQ

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Chris, I have been an Animas Vibe user for 8 years and used Dexcom CGM for 5 years. Has worked well for me. I am trying to move to Medtronic 670G. only just become available in UK but used in USA since 2015. Needs CGM and will regulate basal using Smartguard. would love to hear from anyone who has accessed this. SuziQ

For those that I know that use the Medtronic 670 system, their biggest complaint is that it’s overly conservative for the numbers that it’s programmed to run. The system does not allow one to aggressively run closer to normal numbers.

Reactions: kitedoc

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Hi Chris,
That is one of the most polite introductions here. Normally we are lucky “I’m Fred and I’m an alcoholic” sorry forget I’m on the wrong forum I meant Diabetic
I have a Medtronic 640g. Even though I have only been on a pump for a year, I’m already onto my second pump and it’s faulty and Medtronic agree. Some of their support staff are awesome and some are the rudest, most unprofessional, insulting and patronising know it all’s you could ever wish to come across, I really like the pump and I would happily recommend it, just go in with your eyes open. If you have a really good Diabetic support group they can deal with Medtronic.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
some are the rudest, most unprofessional, insulting and patronising know it all’s you could ever wish to come across.

They want to prey that they never cross paths with me. Hope I just get the nice ones lol

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
They want to prey that they never cross paths with me. Hope I just get the nice ones lol
Trust Me, he had his hands full. The sensor failed after 2 days The below is very close to the conversation
Medtronic Support (abbreviated to MS)
MS the sensor battery is flat, Me no it still says 100%
MS how do you know, Me I’m looking at the stats on the pump
MS It’s interference Me what sort electrical?
MS electrical Me no
MS Well I have been trained in all the Medtronic equipment and you haven’t
MS now getting quite short and an aggressive tone
MS how do you know it’s not electrical Me I have a diploma in electrical and have previously worked with serious voltages over 20,000 volts and currents over 10,000 Amps
MS well that’s the cause Me what that was over 15 years ago
MS oh other interference then Me well are talking about cosmic radiation or radio waves as that is about all that is left
MS Radio waves Me No
MS I know it’s radio waves and you know nothing about them Me I have a prety good idea what is around me
MS no you don’t. Me Yes I have an Amature Radio Licence.
MS that’s the cause Me No, my transceiver is over 1,600Km away
MS what’s the sensors serial number Me they don’t have serial numbers, the batch no is .... (argument about serial numbers continues with me reading out the numbers on the remaining 3 sensors in the shipping box which are all the same) of which I’m called a liar etc.)
MS did you read that off the package for that sensor. Me no, from a new sensor in the same box as I threw out the packaging
MS well I don’t need to help you as you don’t have the proper packaging Me I don’t keep the rubbish and I’m not goin to dig through my rubbish bin
MS disconnect the transmitter from the sensor Me How do I get back on if I do manage to disconnect it (It’s heavily taped onto me)
MS your problem Me OK, sorry the sensor came out as well.
MS well put it back in Me how (it’s a very fine filament)
MS not my problem Me sorry it is I warned you this would most probably happen
MS then get’s abusive and tells me that I’m an ignorant so and so (modified language or a moderator will ban me) and rants and berates me for about 5 min.
MS finally agrees to send me a replacement, but demands I send the bad one back. Me can I speak to your manager
MS NO and hangs up.

I got an email that was clearly automatically generated a day latter asking for feed back about the service and an option to be contacted. I didn’t hold back and requested to be contacted. You guessed it - that was the end of the corrospendence, however a new sensor did arrive without instructions how to send the old one back, I still have it months latter waiting for someone to ask for it, they never have in the past.

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Trust Me, he had his hands full. The sensor failed after 2 days The below is very close to the conversation
MS electrical Me no
MS how do you know it’s not electrical Me I have a diploma in electrical and have previously worked with serious voltages over 20,000 volts and currents over 10,000 Amps
MS oh other interference then Me well are talking about cosmic radiation or radio waves as that is about all that is left
MS Radio waves Me No
MS I know it’s radio waves and you know nothing about them Me I have a prety good idea what is around me
MS what’s the sensors serial number Me they don’t have serial numbers, the batch no is .... (argument about serial numbers continues with me reading out the numbers on the remaining 3 sensors in the shipping box which are all the same) of which I’m called a liar etc.)
MS did you read that off the package for that sensor. Me no, from a new sensor in the same box as I threw out the packaging
MS well I don’t need to help you as you don’t have the proper packaging Me I don’t keep the rubbish and I’m not goin to dig through my rubbish bin
MS disconnect the transmitter from the sensor Me How do I get back on if I do manage to disconnect it (It’s heavily taped onto me)
MS then get’s abusive and tells me that I’m an ignorant so and so (modified language or a moderator will ban me) and rants and berates me for about 5 min.
MS finally agrees to send me a replacement, but demands I send the bad one back. Me can I speak to your manager
MS NO and hangs up.

I got an email that was clearly automatically generated a day latter asking for feed back about the service and an option to be contacted. I didn’t hold back and requested to be contacted. You guessed it - that was the end of the corrospendence, however a new sensor did arrive without instructions how to send the old one back, I still have it months latter waiting for someone to ask for it, they never have in the past.

Oh my word!!!! I would have lost the plot with him and demanded to speak to a supervisor. Did you get his name? As soon as the phone was hung up I would have called straight back. All their calls are recorded for "training purposes" I would hope your call is held in the "This is NOT what we do when we speak to people" file! That is atrocious!!!

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
MS electrical Me no
MS Radio waves Me No
MS NO and hangs up.

Medtronic customer support can be hit or miss. Sorry to hear your interaction was definitely a miss.

I wore a Medtronic cgm sensor that decided to start plotting a perfectly straight flat line, like it was being drawn against a straight edge. No ones blood sugar does that. Not over hours. It bobs up and down. And this line was striking at a number that I would not like and would do a correction for. I called Medtronic to discuss. They said it was probably fine.

When I added that the line was striking at a high numbers and my meter was closer to normal, I was told to eat something to bring my blood sugar up to their line. That ended the conversation. And that also ended my use of their cgm.