Newly diagnosed

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We can't diagnose - you'll have to await your doctor's diagnosis.
However - not eating high carb foods might mean lower spikes after meals - for me bread for breakfast would not be a good idea - and you are a long time from injecting your insulin at that time. That reading of 17.4 is quite high - I was diagnosed with a 17.1 when on a high carb diet.

Reactions: Prem51

Fievel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This whole diabetes thing is slowly creeping the lifeforce out of me.. The combination of this new diagnose while taking care of an apartment, girlfriend and juggling work at the same time is almost too much to handle. I'm currently on antidepressants because of a mental breakdown last year as well.
Yesterday we made vegetable soup with only fresh vegetables, sausages. Bs before and after: 7 - 18.

If I cant even eat vegetable soup, then what am I gonna do with this... I really hope we can jump to monday, because that's when my next doctors appointment is. I want to be able to eat whatever I want again without having to worry about pissing liquid sugar!

Every time I eat I want to inject something to be able to not worry so much...
The vegetable soup had bouillon in it - 40gcarbs /100g. Is that the bottleneck in that meal?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The vegetable soup had bouillon in it - 40gcarbs /100g. Is that the bottleneck in that meal?
Possibly, which veg did you use? Potatoes, parsnips are high, carrots not so bad but not that low either. Try google searching the meal or recipe you want with low carb or keto added and most times there’ll be. Slow carb version of it and lots more sites of low carb recipes to explore.

You’ve had a huge shock and it will take time to adjust. It’s still very early days. Be kind to yourself and accept you won’t get it all sorted overnight. But you are learning how to and every step takes you closer to that, whether it’s a success or a lesson learned.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d guess potatoes the worst thing and likely culprit. Can be terrible for some people. Carrots in moderation though can be done. I think rutabaga (swede) it a bit better again.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I count myself a lucky, diet controlled diabetic and my daily intake of carbs is 40gm - your high reading could well be due to the amount of carbs in the soup - and presumably you ate other foods which could have contained carbs - sausages with high meat content are usually low carbs. I usually see a less than 2 whole numbers rise in levels between pre and post meal readings.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This whole diabetes thing is slowly creeping the lifeforce out of me.. The combination of this new diagnose while taking care of an apartment, girlfriend and juggling work at the same time is almost too much to handle. I'm currently on antidepressants because of a mental breakdown last year as well.
Yesterday we made vegetable soup with only fresh vegetables, sausages. Bs before and after: 7 - 18.

If I cant even eat vegetable soup, then what am I gonna do with this... I really hope we can jump to monday, because that's when my next doctors appointment is. I want to be able to eat whatever I want again without having to worry about pissing liquid sugar!

Every time I eat I want to inject something to be able to not worry so much...

Have you looked at the side effects of your antidepressants? Certain ones are linked with increasing blood sugar levels as well and causing type 2 diabetes . I wasn’t overweight at diagnosis but had been taking an antidepressant (Amitriptyline) for 3 years, an American study said that after 1 year of taking them your chances of getting type 2 diabetes increased by 84%. I’m not saying you have type 2 diabetes, you’ll have to see what your doctor says. I think your high readings are more related to your carb intake. I am controlling mine with diet but only eat 50grams of carbs per day. If I eat potatoes or bread my blood sugar rockets. I limit my self to 6 roast potatoes per week and one slice of bread per week, I’m eating Danish bread at the moment as it’s less carbs. I fill up on proteins and fats. Use nuts for snacks, and I love cheese

Fievel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My antidepressant does not have any side-effect related to my blood sugar, I just read about it. I hoped it would, though... I'm carefully monitoring everything I am eating, earlier today I ate 3 crispbread with clean cooked ham and the bs went to over 12, I ALMOST can't believe it.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My antidepressant does not have any side-effect related to my blood sugar, I just read about it. I hoped it would, though... I'm carefully monitoring everything I am eating, earlier today I ate 3 crispbread with clean cooked ham and the bs went to over 12, I ALMOST can't believe it.
Again it’s carbs, crisp bread is full of them

Fievel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just ate 100g of dark chocolate with 52 carbs /100g. My bs was 12.7 before I started and now I'm done.. I feel like I'm actually starving atm.. Does anybody have a "go-to" food wich makes you feel full but with no carbs in it? I'd be happy to know...

Grazer

I see you are only 25 Fievel. Although you are eating more carbs than some might, the readings still seem high to me. It could well be you aren't type 2, in which case a well controlled diet alone won't be adequate. Hopefully you'll be prescribed medication which will help you eat a reasonable diet without those high figures. None the less, most people still choose to control the carbs alongside a med regime.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I just ate 100g of dark chocolate with 52 carbs /100g. My bs was 12.7 before I started and now I'm done.. I feel like I'm actually starving atm.. Does anybody have a "go-to" food wich makes you feel full but with no carbs in it? I'd be happy to know...
that is a high carb chocolate, there are some with far less than that - but you need to look for them. 100gm is a whole bar of the sort I get - that is a week's supply, eaten one square at a time.
Eating low carb I am never hungry - but if I were - I have meat and fish in the freezer, cheese and eggs in the fridges, plus salad and things to stir fry which are low carb enough so I can add variety.
Oh - I was about to describe what I'd eaten today and just realised I forgot to eat and now it is almost time to think about dinner. Low carb tends to suppress the appetite.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbs are renowned for leaving you hungry again soon after As your blood sugar rises high and drops low. A steady level helps eliminate this. And if you eat low carb fat fills you up instead so you feel full for longer each time.

Do you know how long you have to wait for results about which type and treatment options?

Fievel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Carbs are renowned for leaving you hungry again soon after As your blood sugar rises high and drops low. A steady level helps eliminate this. And if you eat low carb fat fills you up instead so you feel full for longer each time.

Do you know how long you have to wait for results about which type and treatment options?
Monday. I'm now in a hospital because of a sugar overdose.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Monday. I'm now in a hospital because of a sugar overdose.
Sorry to hear that, but in a way it might be a good thing as the hospital should be able to determine which condition you have and the appropriate treatment.

Fievel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear that, but in a way it might be a good thing as the hospital should be able to determine which condition you have and the appropriate treatment.
There was no diagnosing as to which type I have yesterday. I am however going to return to the same hospital on Monday when the rest of it is open. Hopefully I will be given appropriate instructions and equipment to make things a little bit easier.
An hour ago I ate 3 fried eggs, a lot of hash, and 2 patties. Before food my bloodsugar was 6,9. Now the value is at 10,3.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel like I'm actually starving atm..

Does anybody have a "go-to" food which makes you feel full but with no carbs in it?

I'd be happy to know...

So sorry to hear about the hospital trip.
hope your appointment resolves the type and appropriate medication resolves some of the issues.

as for the food..i am type 2..so not sure how advisable this would be for you,
BUT if i am feeling hungry and don't really want to eat..

i have found that double cream in a bowl,
( dependent on the bowl, but my cereal bowl it seems to be just covering the bottom an 1/2 inch deep.)
sorry have none to pic and show
and two squares of 85% dark chocolate..
(as squares i munch them far too quick. haven't really leant the art of letting chocolate melt in my mouth yet)

i break the squares up and drop into cream..i usually find towards the end i feel full, and THAT feeling last for ages

( NB: I suppose in coffee it MIGHT have the same affect,, i did think it when i tried it, but i'm not a coffee lover, so i didn't enjoy it so stopped after a few goes..
and it's not that nice in tea, imho. :***: )

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An hour ago I ate 3 fried eggs, ...:D

a lot of hash :woot:, and 2 patties.:***:

Before food my blood sugar was 6,9. Now the value is as expected....a whopping 10,3.

Apologies for misquote..but hash is what..i read hash brown, but am assuming HASH..
and patties, as in jamaican style patties.....both a NO for me.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
'Hash' as in cannabis is supposed to give users the 'munchies' - ie make them want to eat, so probably not good for diabetics.