1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Fievel, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As you are only 25 and not over weight then T1 seems more likely but wait until you get the final diagnosis before you change anything The diet advice here is more directed to T2's so is a little different and if you lower the carbs to drastically you will loose weight and you don't really want to do that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Fievel

Fievel Type 1 · Member

Thank you for the help. :)
    Right.. I used google translate right there.. In norwegian, the dish is called "pytt i panne"
    50grams of carbohydrates per day... even with type 2 I couldn't have lived with that. But it's great that you manage.
    Yes.. You were right, it is type 1. I now use injections per meal. The pen is Humalog.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Norman83

Norman83 · Member

I m also make 35 years old and my diabetes was wrongly diagnosed as 2 before. Weight is 80 kg now but when diagnosed I was as low as 67, I looked like taken form a concentration camp. There is 3 main antibody test that will help your doctor to tell if you are type 1 or 2.
    That will help determine.
    Hope you control soon and stop the bread completely.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Pinkorchid

Unless they are eating one of the low carbs breads

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

There are a few reduced carb breads, but as far as I know there are no breads which would fit into my definition of low carb. I thought that I had found one at my local Polish delicatessen, only for the formula to be changed and the carbs increased.

• Hug Hug x 1
  6. Pinkorchid

I think some have one called Livlife or something like that I know Waitrose and Sainsbury do one but tiny slices though. I think most people here who do eat bread have Burgen Linseed and Soya

7. Grazer

Grazer · Well-Known Member

Livlife is very expensive, has small thick slices, and no better than Burgen for blood sugar rises when I tested it on myself.
    I've just switched to Hovis lower carb seeded. Tastes really nice and marginally lower carbs than the burgen per slice, as the slices are less dense. Same affect on BGs. NOT low carb, but ok in small doses for those on moderate carbs. The seeded is much nicer tastinmg to me than the Hovis lower carb wholemeal (same carbs)

8. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think the phrase is lowER carb. None are actually low carb. I would still advise exercising extreme caution with lots of post eating testing at various intervals before concluding it was ok to eat

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fievel

Fievel Type 1 · Member

I found out that I am type 1 after a consultation with my diabetes-doctor, I now use 8units Lantus in the evening and Humalog calculated doses when I eat, sometimes I don't even need an injection either. Thank you-

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook