Type 2 The fat in LCHF

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Some of the "bad fat" confusion, at least here in Canada, comes from the problem that most "meat" animals are fattened up using grains (wheat), so the fat content is much higher is Omega 6 (inflammatory) fats compared to the amount of "healthy" fats (Omega 3s) that are found in higher amounts in wild caught fish and grass fed beef etc. That is my main concern with the general assumption that "animal fats" are not harmful. Grass fed butter is EXTREMELY expensive here, as is grass-fed beef. Even the poulty products are fed a lot of grains. Almost impossible to get away from (sadly).

Hotpepper20000

Some of the "bad fat" confusion, at least here in Canada, comes from the problem that most "meat" animals are fattened up using grains (wheat), so the fat content is much higher is Omega 6 (inflammatory) fats compared to the amount of "healthy" fats (Omega 3s) that are found in higher amounts in wild caught fish and grass fed beef etc. That is my main concern with the general assumption that "animal fats" are not harmful. Grass fed butter is EXTREMELY expensive here, as is grass-fed beef. Even the poulty products are fed a lot of grains. Almost impossible to get away from (sadly).
I would love to read more information about the difference between grass fed and grain fed and the Omega 6 and Omega 3.
Do you have any links about this?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stomach issues resolved after dramatically increasing salt.

It took an effort after years of programming to limit salt.

It worked.

My blood pressure is healthy too.

Now we “salt to taste.”

Himalayan and Real Salt.

A major table salt maker here has sugar added.

Seriously.
Just out of interest, why Himalayan Salt?

Reactions: Ponchu

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the taste.
I see. Am curious. It is basically 98% sodium chloride with some impurities, presumably including whatever gives it the pink tinge and the flavour including magnesium, potassium and calcium and presumably iron. It is basically mined rock salt lain down several hundred million years ago.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Hotpepper20000

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the information.
I was wondering more about @Nexus6 post about when cattle are fed grain that it causes more Omgea 6 fats in the meat.

Whatever the cow, sheep, chickens eat will affect the quality of the meat when we eat it. In the UK cattle are mainly grass fed for as long as the grass is growing, and have dried grass (hay etc) when taken indoors for the winter, but some are fattened up ready for market on grains. I'm not sure what affect this has on the omega 3/6 issue.

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I would love to read more information about the difference between grass fed and grain fed and the Omega 6 and Omega 3.
Do you have any links about this?

A quick search finds these (some are USA articles, where they use more CORN feed, as opposed to Canada where we use GRAIN (wheat) typically, but the end results are similar. I actually probably mis-lead as well (and learned a bit too). The grass fed and grain fed can have SIMILAR levels of Omega 6s, but the grass fed have much HIGHER Omega 3s. What I have been reading is that it is important to get as close to 1:1 ratios in your diet, whereas the typical (North American) is now seeing 12:1 ratios (6:3). Much more inflammatory.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/grass-fed-vs-grain-fed-beef#section3

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/lif...nutritious-than-regular-beef/article28948990/

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
A quick search finds these (some are USA articles, where they use more CORN feed, as opposed to Canada where we use GRAIN (wheat) typically, but the end results are similar. I actually probably mis-lead as well (and learned a bit too). The grass fed and grain fed can have SIMILAR levels of Omega 6s, but the grass fed have much HIGHER Omega 3s. What I have been reading is that it is important to get as close to 1:1 ratios in your diet, whereas the typical (North American) is now seeing 12:1 ratios (6:3). Much more inflammatory.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/grass-fed-vs-grain-fed-beef#section3

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/lif...nutritious-than-regular-beef/article28948990/

I've heard it quoted as high as 20:1. That is why it is easier to cut O6s than to try to match O3s upward.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did find a study a while ago that had something about the composition of fats in grass /grain fed cows but from what I recall the breed of cow had a bigger effect.. I'll see if I can find it again..