1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 The fat in LCHF

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Cana, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Nexus6

Nexus6 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Some of the "bad fat" confusion, at least here in Canada, comes from the problem that most "meat" animals are fattened up using grains (wheat), so the fat content is much higher is Omega 6 (inflammatory) fats compared to the amount of "healthy" fats (Omega 3s) that are found in higher amounts in wild caught fish and grass fed beef etc. That is my main concern with the general assumption that "animal fats" are not harmful. Grass fed butter is EXTREMELY expensive here, as is grass-fed beef. Even the poulty products are fed a lot of grains. Almost impossible to get away from (sadly).

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

I would love to read more information about the difference between grass fed and grain fed and the Omega 6 and Omega 3.
    Do you have any links about this?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Just out of interest, why Himalayan Salt?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ponchu

Ponchu · Well-Known Member

I like the taste.

5. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I see. Am curious. It is basically 98% sodium chloride with some impurities, presumably including whatever gives it the pink tinge and the flavour including magnesium, potassium and calcium and presumably iron. It is basically mined rock salt lain down several hundred million years ago.

6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

7. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

#27 Hotpepper20000, Feb 11, 2019 at 8:14 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  8. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Whatever the cow, sheep, chickens eat will affect the quality of the meat when we eat it. In the UK cattle are mainly grass fed for as long as the grass is growing, and have dried grass (hay etc) when taken indoors for the winter, but some are fattened up ready for market on grains. I'm not sure what affect this has on the omega 3/6 issue.

9. Nexus6

Nexus6 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

A quick search finds these (some are USA articles, where they use more CORN feed, as opposed to Canada where we use GRAIN (wheat) typically, but the end results are similar. I actually probably mis-lead as well (and learned a bit too). The grass fed and grain fed can have SIMILAR levels of Omega 6s, but the grass fed have much HIGHER Omega 3s. What I have been reading is that it is important to get as close to 1:1 ratios in your diet, whereas the typical (North American) is now seeing 12:1 ratios (6:3). Much more inflammatory.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/grass-fed-vs-grain-fed-beef#section3

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/lif...nutritious-than-regular-beef/article28948990/

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I've heard it quoted as high as 20:1. That is why it is easier to cut O6s than to try to match O3s upward.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

I did find a study a while ago that had something about the composition of fats in grass /grain fed cows but from what I recall the breed of cow had a bigger effect.. I'll see if I can find it again..

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook