woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So I’m confused by the type of fat.

I’ve been ill this week and been eating more burgers and sausages etc (they don’t spike my sugars). But is that still regarded as bad fat?

I thought you didn’t have to really worry about that with LCHF but thought I’d check

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I’m confused by the type of fat.

I’ve been ill this week and been eating more burgers and sausages etc (they don’t spike my sugars). But is that still regarded as bad fat?

I thought you didn’t have to really worry about that with LCHF but thought I’d check

Bad fats for cooking are usually thought of as seed oils.. like soy or canola oil, sunflower, peanut etc.
Good fats are animal , olive or avocado.
Providing your burgers and sausages are high meat content with few if any fillers and are cooked in animal fat you should be fine.

Reactions: Ponchu

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. Avoid vegetable oils if you can. They are highly processed and not good for us. Stick with animal fats or olive oil for cooking. Nothing wrong with burgers or sausages as long as they have a high meat content and very little cereal filling.

M

Member496333

I happened across a coconut oil ‘blend’ in the shops today that seemed packaged to attract the primal/paleo/keto type. A quick glance at the ingredients revealed it to be full of ‘vegetable’ oil. In other words “we want to sell you coconut oil because we know it’s a buzz word just now, but coconut oil is too expensive so we’re gonna dilute it with toxic waste and charge you a fortune for the privilege. Enjoy.”

:shifty:

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Oooh really. There was me thinking it was the other way round.
So olive oil and sunflower oil are bad?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bad fats for cooking are usually thought of as seed oils.. like soy or canola oil, sunflower, peanut etc.
Good fats are animal , olive or avocado.
Providing your burgers and sausages are high meat content with few if any fillers and are cooked in animal fat you should be fine.
Olive oil okay?

I recently bought linseeds (like being a budgie) to help with constipation created by a lower carb higher fat diet. Is that okay?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Olive oil okay?

I recently bought linseeds (like being a budgie) to help with constipation created by a lower carb higher fat diet. Is that okay?
Real constipation i.e. pain when going or just not going so much?
There is a major difference..no idea about linseed oil if I think I have a problem 2 teaspoons of magnesium citrate sorts it out in 8 hours.. but don't stray too far from the loo or you may get caught out!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Real constipation i.e. pain when going or just not going so much?
There is a major difference..no idea about linseed oil if I think I have a problem 2 teaspoons of magnesium citrate sorts it out in 8 hours.. but don't stray too far from the loo or you may get caught out!
Trouble (painful) going. But I am never normally like that so this is a new experience for me.

I have upped the fluid intake and trying to ensure I get some vedge and salts in the diet. Which has helped.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to you guys I check the back of everything now. And very useful it is too.

I must have checked the back of half the stock in Aldi today.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trouble (painful) going. But I am never normally like that so this is a new experience for me.

I have upped the fluid intake and trying to ensure I get some vedge and salts in the diet. Which has helped.
Sorry just realised you mean linseeds(flax) not the oil..?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry just realised you mean linseeds(flax) not the oil..?
Yes. But I assumed they are related / same?

I am knocking back the flax, recalling priming my cricket bat with the oils, in the distant past.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just came across this:

“Both flaxseed oil and linseed oil are extracted from seeds of the plant Linum usitatissimu. Flaxseed oil is pure and fit for human consumption; linseed oil goes through a refinement process and may contain additives that improve its paint-cleaning properties. Never drink linseed oil.”

So that seems to answer my question,

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I am knocking back the flax, recalling priming my cricket bat with the oils, in the distant past.
Yeah but the processing to make the oil is often what causes the problems.. especially with seed oils. I've never drunk or cooked with linseed oil.. and wouldn't.

Edit to add spooky timings.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Absolutely nothing wrong with Linseeds, otherwise known as Flaxseed. Full of omega 3, which is what we need, and full of fibre. I buy milled flaxseed (powdery) and add it to my food on a daily basis. Whether you can say the same for linseed oil I have no idea - probably highly processed.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely nothing wrong with Linseeds, otherwise known as Flaxseed. Full of omega 3, which is what we need, and full of fibre. I buy milled flaxseed (powdery) and add it to my food on a daily basis. Whether you can say the same for linseed oil I have no idea - probably highly processed.
Upon reflection it seems that linseed oil is not for drinking.

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I happened across a coconut oil ‘blend’ in the shops today that seemed packaged to attract the primal/paleo/keto type. A quick glance at the ingredients revealed it to be full of ‘vegetable’ oil. In other words “we want to sell you coconut oil because we know it’s a buzz word just now, but coconut oil is too expensive so we’re gonna dilute it with toxic waste and charge you a fortune for the privilege. Enjoy.”

:shifty:

Name and Shame.

Ponchu

Stomach issues resolved after dramatically increasing salt.

It took an effort after years of programming to limit salt.

It worked.

My blood pressure is healthy too.

Now we “salt to taste.”

Himalayan and Real Salt.

A major table salt maker here has sugar added.

Seriously.

Reactions: jjraak