Dilemma.

High carb birthday buffet. What do I do?

• Do I eat before I go to the party?

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Do I ask sister B if it's possible to arrange for a burger without bun and chips instead?

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Do I sneak away from the party to eat my bunless burger by myself to avoid being provocative?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Am I being too hysterical?

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Other suggestions? Please write them as a reply.

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a little follow up on the party. Mission accomplished. My sister had a wonderful party, and was ever so happy. I felt honoured that she'd chosen me to sit beside her at the 'high table', and my first speech ever (I'm 58 for crying out loud) was given with confidence. I didn't even have any trouble writing it, as I'd done that 44 years ago when she was 6 and I was 14, and wrote a school essay about 'a person I cared deeply for or admired'. I'm so glad I chose to write about her, back then.
Foodwise. I'd cooked a large portion of cabbage and ground beef. Popped it in the freezer and brought it with me. That way we had 2 x dinners when we arrived, and enough left for me to have before going to the party the following day. At the party buffet I chose salad and a couple of small meat balls from the buffet, and while everybody else had cream cakes for dessert, I had a large cheese platter with a lovely selection of cheeses. I sent the bisquits back, and kindly donated the grapes to my cousin. She seemed a little envious, actually. I skipped the potato/leek soup, but happily ate the bacon everybody else used for soup topping. Drinks? Ice water and herbal tea. That evening my going to bed BG reading was 5.4, but something odd happened the next morning. My FBG was 7.5, and an hour later 6.5. Higher than it's been in many months, so I was somewhat surprised as I'd been such a good girl. Never mind, but just surprised. 4 hours and a long walk later it was back down to 4.6.
Thanks for all your help, emotional support and advice :)

Wooohooo! I'd say that went exceedingly well! And hey, that FBG could be due to a little stress, maybe you didn't sleep as well as usual or had a nighmare or, well, whatever... Who cares? You kicked ***, and I am so happy for you!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people have trouble with their families even when they have been invited over for a meal. I am lucky with my sis. We went over for a meal a couple of weeks ago and she made steak and kidney pie, mash potatoes and veg. She said to me "Here is your dinner Derry. I went onto that site that you told me about and made your pie with the Fat Head Dough." She then presented me with Greens and Broccoli "Your dessert is Keto Blackberry crumble with Almond Flour and full-fat butter". What a star she is.
I'm thinking maybe we could all pitch in and time-share your sister?

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Wooohooo! I'd say that went exceedingly well! And hey, that FBG could be due to a little stress, maybe you didn't sleep as well as usual or had a nighmare or, well, whatever... Who cares? You kicked ***, and I am so happy for you!
Thanks so much, Jo, and now I've got you, I love your carb post to newcomers, and often wondered why you didn't do exactly that. Well, you came to the same conclusion :) Are you ok with being tagged whenever someone needs the info?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much, Jo, and now I've got you, I love your carb post to newcomers, and often wondered why you didn't do exactly that. Well, you came to the same conclusion :) Are you ok with being tagged whenever someone needs the info?
Well, to be honest, I've had it on my mind for a while, but I'm no mod, (have no desire to be one either, as people scare me still.), and I'm kindof in awe of Daisy1 for keeping up with it all, all the time with her info sheet. But yeah, though I'm usually away from the computer on the weekend and most evenings, I don't mind being tagged in. I'll try to keep up! ;)

Reactions: jjraak and Chook

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I'll try to keep up! ;)
Let me know if you want any help with spreading your good word. I will credit you, of course. It's no good if it stresses you out, as I imagine it might easily do. Yes, Daisy1 is doing an amazing job, but so are you.

Reactions: jjraak

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Let me know if you want any help with spreading your good word. I will credit you, of course. It's no good if it stresses you out, as I imagine it might easily do. Yes, Daisy1 is doing an amazing job, but so are you.
Thanks for the offer! I'll give it a go, as during most weekdays I'm on anyway, and will give a shout if it's a bit much. :)

verdesca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
none. very easy going
Orzo is a pasta about the size and shape of rice. Being GF, pasta isn't my friend.

I'm not as radical as @bulkbiker, I just put an (anti-hunger) insurance policy in place to ensure I'm not going to be in danger of being caught out too badly on the hunger front.

If I get there and the food looks fab, I'll have some, if I fancy it.

I see it as my job to look after me; not the host or hostess who likely has more than enough to be thinking about.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It is likely the orzo pasta is named after barley - orzo pasta is shaped like and/or barley.

Yes it means 'Barley' we learn something new everyday :)
The word "orzo" means "barley" in Italian, but most orzo pasta does not contain barley (also a gluten-containing grain). Wheat semolina flour, traditionally used to make orzo pasta, is a coarser type of flour made from high-protein durum wheat that contains an above-average amount of gluten

Reactions: briped

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Ha @briped, I love the term you used, discretionary nibbling - if someone asks what you are doing you could explain that you are adopting mouse-like behaviour - ? is that an ice breaker or what !!??

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In Italy, orzo is Barley. Just thought I would say

Thanks for pointing that our Verdasca. Every day is a school day in my world.

Had I recognised it as being barley (as opposed to the pasta it was,) I wouldn't have eaten that either for hte resons @Robinredbreast cites.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@briped - I just caught up with your thread. I'm so glad for you that a situation that caused p rior concern turned out so well, without any disruption or discord. It all helps to build the confidence for future events.

Well done you.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
if someone asks what you are doing you could explain that you are adopting mouse-like behaviour - ?
Did I really write that? I must've been referring to that lovely cheese platter :hilarious: