When to see your GP about a foot sore

BeckiDover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!
I've recently had a slight problem with my foot and, as i'm only 24, it made me think, when is it actually appropriate to see your GP about a foot problem? We're always told its so important to regularly check and look after our feet, but when should you see your GP about a problem, without seeming like a nuisance.

The reason i haven't been to the doctors already is because i don't think it is "diabetes related" and will hopefully repair itself shortly. I had a pain in my toe, which i think was a splinter. I managed to remove the "splinter" and it's no longer painful but my toe still has a round red spot/patch on the top but it doesn't feel sore. Is this a case that really needs to be seen by a GP or should i leave it?

Just as a note, i do get my feet checked every year by my diabetes healthcare team.

Any response welcome! I'd be interested to hear how others feel about and manage their foot care, particularly if you are a similar age to me.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @BeckiDover I had an issue with my foot about a year, same sort of thing, had a sore so sent a photo to my DSN and asked if it was anything to be worried about, as my control is pretty good she said no, but if it got worse then to see the GP, it fortunately disappeared a week or so later.

How is your control in general as this will affect the healing of this ? Also if in doubt call 111 and have a chat to them if you are unable to speak to your DSN.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

BeckiDover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @BeckiDover I had an issue with my foot about a year, same sort of thing, had a sore so sent a photo to my DSN and asked if it was anything to be worried about, as my control is pretty good she said no, but if it got worse then to see the GP, it fortunately disappeared a week or so later.

How is your control in general as this will affect the healing of this ? Also if in doubt call 111 and have a chat to them if you are unable to speak to your DSN.

My control is generally very good and I don’t/haven’t had a problem with wounds healing before.

My only concern is that my circulation isn’t great in my feet (they’re either freezing cold or hot!) and as I haven’t ever had a problem with my feet before, I’m don’t really know what is good/bad (if that makes sense).

If it doesn’t improve in a week I will definitely check with my GP.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @BeckiDover I'm also the same I have poor circulation, always cold ! Just out of interest do you know what could of caused it ? Mine was poorly fitting footwear I think, just freaked a bit because it looked sore and as a t1 I wasn't sure if I had to do anything about it apart from the usual of keeping it dressed/covered and clean.

Reactions: SimonCrox

BeckiDover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @BeckiDover I'm also the same I have poor circulation, always cold ! Just out of interest do you know what could of caused it ? Mine was poorly fitting footwear I think, just freaked a bit because it looked sore and as a t1 I wasn't sure if I had to do anything about it apart from the usual of keeping it dressed/covered and clean.

I THINK it was a tiny splinter in the end of my toe, which I managed to remove, as my toe only hurt when I put pressure on the area.
But I’m also the same with footwear/socks! They can mark my feet and make them feel sore if they’re too tight or even too big.

I do think there’s a lot of emphasis put on making sure you check your feet but no real guidance to what to do if you find anything, major or small, unless you already have a foot related diagnoses like neuropathy.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had a check for thyroid hormones?
I was diagnosed with a failed thyroid years ago now but I can still remember after a few days of taking Thyroxine how my hands and feet felt as though they were in warm water - it gave such a feeling of relief and relaxation.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you can feal the type of carpet you are walking on when bear foot, then I expect you would feal pain if you had a real problem with your feet. The danger is when people can't feal pain, and/or ignore part of their food thst "looks wong" for a long time.

lightship

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi!
I've recently had a slight problem with my foot and, as i'm only 24, it made me think, when is it actually appropriate to see your GP about a foot problem? We're always told its so important to regularly check and look after our feet, but when should you see your GP about a problem, without seeming like a nuisance.

The reason i haven't been to the doctors already is because i don't think it is "diabetes related" and will hopefully repair itself shortly. I had a pain in my toe, which i think was a splinter. I managed to remove the "splinter" and it's no longer painful but my toe still has a round red spot/patch on the top but it doesn't feel sore. Is this a case that really needs to be seen by a GP or should i leave it?

Just as a note, i do get my feet checked every year by my diabetes healthcare team.

Any response welcome! I'd be interested to hear how others feel about and manage their foot care, particularly if you are a similar age to me.
Hello,BeckiDover, if you are worried about your toe no matter how insignificant make an appointment with your podiatrist as I had the same problem a few years ago and she told me as regards to a diabetics feet always get checked out by a professional ( better safe than sorry), I hope this helps, it's probably nothing but get it seen to.

Reactions: Prem51

lockforward

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

Go see your podiatrist asap. don't want frighten you. I didn't now minus toe. It could well be nothing to worry about but better safe than sorry, no worry

Louise286

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi!

Hi BeckiDover
Please get your foot checked ASAP. I had a problem with my foot after I broke it. I broke it dec 16 and by June when I was deemed fixed I went to buy a good pair of shoes as my foot was permanently swollen but the owner wouldn’t sell me anything until I got my foot looked at. I called the podiatrist at local hospital and they saw me the next day. They diagnosed me with Charcot foot and 20 months later of being in a total contact cast I had to have my foot completely rebuilt and ankle fused.
I hope that your foot is healing.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have developed a little pain in the toe area on my left foot. It’s a long way down to ones toes especially if eyesight has been affected too. :D

I gave them the once over last night and found it was yet another ingrown toenail issue so I will probably need the nail removing (small toe).

I had sections of my big toenails removed two years ago and the then GP surgery team were very cautious about care after removal, owing to my diabetic condition at the time.

Last edited:

WasWodge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I only know that my diabetic nurse says to see them if there is any change in my feet, they would rather check it than take a chance (even got told off because I had the remains of a small blister at my last review).

Becks33

Hi @BeckiDover I have never had my feet checked untill I ripped my toe nail off in an accident last year :( I have had diabetes for 15 year and never ever looked after it in the slightest I’m nearly 24 now with eye problems severe eye problems ... sounds like you will be fine but a doctor never thinks your a nuisance can never be to care ful <3

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@BeckiDover I hope you got your foot problem sorted out ok.
I get lumps on my feet from time to time as I do a fair amount of walking. I'm not sure if they are corns or bunions. I don't like bothering my doctor for what seems like a minor problem, and just put on a corn cap which usually sorts it out.
I had a lump on the side of my foot a couple of weeks before my annual checkup last October. I put a corn cap on it which reduced it. When I saw my gp he asked if my feet were ok, I said I did have what i thought was a bunion. He asked to see it.
It was a bit pink and raw looking. He said I shouldn't treat foot problems myself as I'm diabetic, and gave me a referral to see a podiatrist at the local health clinic.
I saw the podiatrist a couple of days later who put on a dressing (and trimmed my toenails!). He said if I had any foot problems in future I should ring to make an appointment and come in. I would not need to be referred by gp as I was now registered with the Podiatry Department at the clinic.
So don't worry about 'seeming like a nuisance'. Diabetics do need to be careful with their feet and the hcps will know that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeckiDover