What is pre-diabetes and how serious is it?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I visited the local pharmacy a week or two ago and the sheet they gave me said this for dealing with Type 2 diabetes:

An important energy source and source of fibre. Carbohydrates are broken down by your body into glucose, which is used as fuel by your cells.

• Include some in your diet each day.
  • Choose wholegrain alternatives where possible to increase the fibre content of foods - this slows down energy release which can help to keep you feeling fuller for longer - for example, multigrain/seeded bread.
  • Control your portion size of these foods, as the more you eat, the greater the rise in your blood glucose levels.
Practical suggestions:

• Choose wholegrain cereals or wholegrain/seeded bread for breakfast.
  • Try a baked potato or sweet potato with the skin left on for added fibre for lunch.
  • Use wholemeal flour in baking and for breads such as chapattis or naans.
  • Choose brown rice or brown pasta instead of white.”

Extracted from:

https://patient.info/health/type-2-diabetes/type-2-diabetes-diet

That's basically guideline advice, you see it everywhere. Anyway, don't worry about that, keep eating your processed grains and lets focus on your "bad" cholesterol and lowering your saturated fat consumption. o_O:D

D

Deleted member 308541

That's basically guideline advice, you see it everywhere. Anyway, don't worry about that, keep eating your processed grains and lets focus on your "bad" cholesterol and lowering your saturated fat consumption. o_O:D
It's as useful as the info / guideline sheet that is in the Flecanide tablets of mine. :D

FizkhSA.jpg

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It's as useful as the info / guideline sheet that is in the Flecanide tablets of mine. :D

Just make up your own guidelines...lol

No big deal, it's only heart medication :D

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
In a effort to be fair @cured is just listening and regurgitating the rubbish we have all been told by the “professionals” who should know better. At some point in the past most of us believed it too. And then we, and increasingly thank god professionals too, see the light of carbs being the problem not the cure. Perhaps he posted this before exploring the forum and genuinely believed he was being helpful. I’m sure by now he’s got a handle on what we all think of the “official” advice. I’d hate for him to be scared away from here and the help we can offer if in fact he or someone close to him is a diabetic of any degree or type. So @cured please come back and take this thread’s replies on the chin and investigate our claims for youself. Please don’t be scared off but again please take a moment or two to consider the tone of your comments. We don’t have to all agree or even be PC (I agree with the damage too much of this can do) but respect is important.

I agree and I suspect this may well be the case. The OP had expressed that this was his opinion. However, the original post clearly comes across as being a lecture like fact sheet or guideline that he believed would help people. Some education on the subject would do him the world of good. None of us know everything and we are all learning things along the way about ourselves and the issues of diabetes. He did get some things right imo, but he also got some things terribly wrong. That's life, I think we've all done that at some point.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree and I suspect this may well be the case. The OP had expressed that this was his opinion. However, the original post clearly comes across as being a lecture like fact sheet or guideline that he believed would help people. Some education on the subject would do him the world of good. None of us know everything and we are all learning things along the way about ourselves and the issues of diabetes. He did get some things right imo, but he also got some things terribly wrong. That's life, I think we've all done that at some point.
Maybe he was a teacher in earlier life

Discovery22

BMI is height to weight ratio. The height to waist ratio is only slightly better in terms of T2 but is a different calculator.

BMI does not take muscle mass into account whether the NHS admit it or not. Step into the 21st century my friend.
Bmi calculations are only a guide. Apparently my daughter is classed as obese because of it. She eats healthy but also does gymnastics, is in a rugby team, plays netball and does trampolining and although she is just 15 has qualified as a level 2 YMCA fitness instructor. Her muscle mass has increased her weight so is therefore obese???????

Reactions: Guzzler

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I was obese while I only ate one meal a day. When I went to a dietican she forced carbs down my throat in three square meals a day, leading me to believe it was the only way to lose weight... And I became morbidly obese. I was barely eating, certainly not indulging, and I was huge to begin with. A blimp at the end of it. Do not dole out blame when you know nothing about any of us.

On this forum we support one another, give HOPE, and try to give this condition a positive twist: letting newly diagnosed people know they/we are not alone, we are not to blame for our genetic predisposition or medicine use that got us here. And we're not going to drop dead any time soon either. Not if we can help it.

This doc you're peddling in other threads is NOT reputable. Far from it. People'll see that too as they google.

Edited by moderator
You have just told my story. I did not get to morbidly obese but did put weight on, which put me in the obese category whatever that is because a size 14 is considered obese these days. I ate like you and could not understand why I was gaining weight and could not lose any. I ate everything low fat, never ate animal fat from meat. I did eat low-fat cheese in moderation and low-fat yoghurts and anything else low-fat. What I did not realise I was eating loads of sugar, what with the Whole wheat pasta, rice, couscous etc. I thought that I was doing good eating sweet potato instead of white, but the truth is, none of those was good for me. I have lost weight but would like to lose more. I have come to a halt. Yet I often still only have one meal a day. I need to do some walking really, but my arthritic knees make walking painful. Guess I am going to have to walk through the pain. I can walk, but have to sit every few mins when walking outside. Only for 2 mins at a time though. Lucky to have loads of seats where I live.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
As I've suggested in other posts, I don't really agree with the whole pre-diabetes thing. It used to be called "borderline diabetes", then they changed the name. Problems I have with it are:

1) People diagnosed like this often think "I'm ok at the moment, just need to be a bit more careful", rather than modifying their diet properly.
2) The levels used to diagnose "pre-diabetes" are well above normal limits, not just a bit. The very most that a true non-diabetic would record as an HbA1c is about 36 according to most medical research, yet we suggest figures in the 40's are merely "pre" diabetic. I think that many people diagnosed as pre-diabetic would fail an oral glucose tolerance test; not necessarily at the +2 hours stage, but under the original rule (when blood was tested every 15 mins during the test) that stated that "any reading above 11.1 at any stage indicated diabetes"
3) Cynically, I believe NICE and the NHS like to have a pre-diabetes classification because it avoids them having to declare the true number of diabetics and ruining their numbers.

To me, pre-diabetes is just diabetes caught early, and more easily managed if approached under the same vigour as any other diabetes.

Don't mean to upset anyone here, but I hate the idea that some (probably not those on here) bury their head in the sand a little.
I am Pre-diabetic. I look at the word Pre-diabetic as a ticking time bomb waiting to go off if I were not to address it and fast, which is what I did. I bet there are more people than we realise walking around being Pre-diabetic and are so unaware of this. Maybe everybody should have a test, this way people can be caught early and able to address it.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have just told my story. I did not get to morbidly obese but did put weight on, which put me in the obese category whatever that is because a size 14 is considered obese these days. I ate like you and could not understand why I was gaining weight and could not lose any. I ate everything low fat, never ate animal fat from meat. I did eat low-fat cheese in moderation and low-fat yoghurts and anything else low-fat. What I did not realise I was eating loads of sugar, what with the Whole wheat pasta, rice, couscous etc. I thought that I was doing good eating sweet potato instead of white, but the truth is, none of those was good for me. I have lost weight but would like to lose more. I have come to a halt. Yet I often still only have one meal a day. I need to do some walking really, but my arthritic knees make walking painful. Guess I am going to have to walk through the pain. I can walk, but have to sit every few mins when walking outside. Only for 2 mins at a time though. Lucky to have loads of seats where I live.
Whenever my rheumatism flares up, it usually impacts my hands and hip, and that makes walking hard too, so I hear you. I've found that going keto made a difference, as carbs are inflammatory... Dunno how low carb you are, but it could maybe help, if it's not too restrictive to your taste. But ah, aren't you getting any treatment for the artritis? Is it RA? My mom's on Tocilizumab infusions for that, (before she started those she was on Humera, but the side effects weer too severe at some point. Worked wonders too though). It really made a difference in the pain she was in, as she couldn't do much of anything anymore either, before she started. May be worth looking into. It shuts down her immune system so it stops attacking her joints, from the top off my head... A GP won't be able to perscribe it I think, but a reumatologist can.

Just thinking... I know how much pain you're in, and if anything can help I'll gladly toss ideas out there, useless though they may be. ;)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am Pre-diabetic. I look at the word Pre-diabetic as a ticking time bomb waiting to go off if I were not to address it and fast, which is what I did. I bet there are more people than we realise walking around being Pre-diabetic and are so unaware of this. Maybe everybody should have a test, this way people can be caught early and able to address it.
I suspect you are right.

I would like my wife to take an A1c test with all the junk food she scoffs. But I can’t see her doing that voluntarily right now.

Grazer

Listlad, just get your wife to let you do a finger prick test on her - morning fasting. Nothing definitive but if it's high 5's or more, possibly something not right. Then you can get her to do a HbA1c

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Listlad, just get your wife to let you do a finger prick test on her - morning fasting. Nothing definitive but if it's high 5's or more, possibly something not right. Then you can get her to do a HbA1c
While she is sleeping....