1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What is pre-diabetes and how serious is it?

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by cured, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

That's basically guideline advice, you see it everywhere. Anyway, don't worry about that, keep eating your processed grains and lets focus on your "bad" cholesterol and lowering your saturated fat consumption. o_O:D

2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

It's as useful as the info / guideline sheet that is in the Flecanide tablets of mine. :D

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Tophat1900

Just make up your own guidelines...lol

No big deal, it's only heart medication :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Tastes like kakka, twice a day you take. :meh:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Tophat1900

As does prednisone, which I take every day as part of being a lung transplant recipient. Same boat I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tophat1900

I agree and I suspect this may well be the case. The OP had expressed that this was his opinion. However, the original post clearly comes across as being a lecture like fact sheet or guideline that he believed would help people. Some education on the subject would do him the world of good. None of us know everything and we are all learning things along the way about ourselves and the issues of diabetes. He did get some things right imo, but he also got some things terribly wrong. That's life, I think we've all done that at some point.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Maybe he was a teacher in earlier life

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Discovery22

Discovery22 · Active Member

Bmi calculations are only a guide. Apparently my daughter is classed as obese because of it. She eats healthy but also does gymnastics, is in a rugby team, plays netball and does trampolining and although she is just 15 has qualified as a level 2 YMCA fitness instructor. Her muscle mass has increased her weight so is therefore obese???????

• Like Like x 1
  9. derry60

derry60 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

You have just told my story. I did not get to morbidly obese but did put weight on, which put me in the obese category whatever that is because a size 14 is considered obese these days. I ate like you and could not understand why I was gaining weight and could not lose any. I ate everything low fat, never ate animal fat from meat. I did eat low-fat cheese in moderation and low-fat yoghurts and anything else low-fat. What I did not realise I was eating loads of sugar, what with the Whole wheat pasta, rice, couscous etc. I thought that I was doing good eating sweet potato instead of white, but the truth is, none of those was good for me. I have lost weight but would like to lose more. I have come to a halt. Yet I often still only have one meal a day. I need to do some walking really, but my arthritic knees make walking painful. Guess I am going to have to walk through the pain. I can walk, but have to sit every few mins when walking outside. Only for 2 mins at a time though. Lucky to have loads of seats where I live.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. derry60

derry60 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I am Pre-diabetic. I look at the word Pre-diabetic as a ticking time bomb waiting to go off if I were not to address it and fast, which is what I did. I bet there are more people than we realise walking around being Pre-diabetic and are so unaware of this. Maybe everybody should have a test, this way people can be caught early and able to address it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Whenever my rheumatism flares up, it usually impacts my hands and hip, and that makes walking hard too, so I hear you. I've found that going keto made a difference, as carbs are inflammatory... Dunno how low carb you are, but it could maybe help, if it's not too restrictive to your taste. But ah, aren't you getting any treatment for the artritis? Is it RA? My mom's on Tocilizumab infusions for that, (before she started those she was on Humera, but the side effects weer too severe at some point. Worked wonders too though). It really made a difference in the pain she was in, as she couldn't do much of anything anymore either, before she started. May be worth looking into. It shuts down her immune system so it stops attacking her joints, from the top off my head... A GP won't be able to perscribe it I think, but a reumatologist can.

Just thinking... I know how much pain you're in, and if anything can help I'll gladly toss ideas out there, useless though they may be. ;)

12. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I suspect you are right.

I would like my wife to take an A1c test with all the junk food she scoffs. But I can’t see her doing that voluntarily right now.

13. Grazer

Grazer · Well-Known Member

Listlad, just get your wife to let you do a finger prick test on her - morning fasting. Nothing definitive but if it's high 5's or more, possibly something not right. Then you can get her to do a HbA1c

14. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

While she is sleeping....

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook