Who on here eats a ' normal diet"......

Indy1282

.....and has good BS control?

Usually eat low carb but just fed up of it at the moment! Feeling a bit fed up with diabetes and just want a bit of normality back.

I do have a libre which helps.

Reactions: Alasdair

Fievel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do eat a normal diet, with insulin though. I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and lived on a carbohydrate-poor diet for 2 weeks until it got carved in stone that I had type 1.
Good carbohydrate control.. I'm very fresh in using Humalog but from Monday and till now I'm not doing so bad, haven't passed out yet and no hypers either.
My bs got high even when I ate chicken filler and salad. So it's gotten easier for me with the proper medication.
What type are you?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Indy1282 . Not sure what response “ normal “ will get.
I don’t see myself as low carb but definitely not normal compared to my work companions.
Perhaps tell us what you would like to eat and see how many of us have similar eating habits.
Purely on the carbs side of things I don’t measure exactly but aim for 160/200 a day but this can vary depending on exercise, days off work and things along those lines.

Reactions: Dodo and kitedoc

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
The real question is 'what is normal' the eat well plate has been greatly disproven - and what is normal for one may not be normal for another..

Indy1282

I guess by normal I mean just regular food.

Cottage Pie, pasta, sandwiches etc...

And the occasional treat like a burger or pudding.

Generally Iike to eat healthy food - keep the snacks to a minimum.

Reactions: Dodo and kitedoc

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess by normal I mean just regular food.

Cottage Pie, pasta, sandwiches etc...

And the occasional treat like a burger or pudding.

Generally Iike to eat healthy food - keep the snacks to a minimum.
Most definitely. Don’t worry to much about snacks, if I need something in between main meals then I have a snack.
My biggest focus is on portion size I guess. If I want treacle sponge and custard pudding then I have it, but probably a small amount compared to someone who doesn’t have to take into consideration the diabetes factor.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Define normal, I eat vlc and enjoy it. I don't want to eat all the cr.. that's killing the nation.

I think my tastes have changed a lot, the few times I have weakened (around and after Christmas) and maybe nicked a crisp or took a bite from a cookie its tasted, not bad, wrong maybe? all sweet and mush like. Consistency of old vegetables and a sweetness that now seems like eating raw sugar. Not keen.

Compare that to fresh lettuce or cucumber, peppery leeks in butter. Black pudding...…. I can eat all I like of that, why nibble at 3 and a half crisps or a spoonful of treacle pud.

So, I would say I eat a perfectly normal diet, (for me). Its the others that eat weird.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Define normal, I eat vlc and enjoy it. I don't want to eat all the cr.. that's killing the nation.

I think my tastes have changed a lot, the few times I have weakened (around and after Christmas) and maybe nicked a crisp or took a bite from a cookie its tasted, not bad, wrong maybe? all sweet and mush like. Consistency of old vegetables and a sweetness that now seems like eating raw sugar. Not keen.

Compare that to fresh lettuce or cucumber, peppery leeks in butter. Black pudding...…. I can eat all I like of that, why nibble at 3 and a half crisps or a spoonful of treacle pud.

So, I would say I eat a perfectly normal diet, (for me). Its the others that eat weird.
So black pudding is okay? That’s another one to add to my list. Thanks.

Reactions: KPD and SaladDaze

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
So black pudding is okay? That’s another one to add to my list. Thanks.
Don't forget white pudding too. A lot of really great stuff in a proper butchers once you realise fat is good.

Have you tried grilling some slices of corned beef then covering it in cheese and topping with some sliced tomato, bit of salt and pepper. Proper snack.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't forget white pudding too. A lot of really great stuff in a proper butchers once you realise fat is good.

Have you tried grilling some slices of corned beef then covering it in cheese and topping with some sliced tomato, bit of salt and pepper. Proper snack.
No. I prefer corned beef cold. Still sounds tasty though. But I enjoy black pudding so that’s great news. One of my favourite breakfasts at work was a black pudding bap, but that will have to stop.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Black pudding...…. I can eat all I like of that

Don't forget white pudding too

I'm puzzled by how you square that with vlc?

I thought most black pudding is about 20% carb from the oats in it, typically about 10g per slice, and white pudding is pretty much porridge in sausage form?

Are there commonly available brands which don't contain about 20g carbs per 100g?

Reactions: therower

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm puzzled by how you square that with vlc?

I thought most black pudding is about 20% carb from the oats in it, typically about 10g per slice, and white pudding is pretty much porridge in sausage form?

Are there commonly available brands which don't contain about 20g carbs per 100g?
How about Lorne Sausage?

I used to buy that stuff in Dundee by the 1foot slab.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Highish carbs here, not too bad blood sugar control. T1, I take the insulin my diet needs.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How about Lorne Sausage?

I used to buy that stuff in Dundee by the 1foot slab.

Pretty sure that's about 20% carb too, due to the rusk.

As a T1, I'd likely be considering a bolus for all of these if I was eating more than a slice or two.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pretty sure that's about 20% carb too, due to the rusk.

As a T1, I'd likely be considering a bolus for all of these if I was eating more than a slice or two.
Yes, just googled it. You are right. ( I often wondered what gave it that different texture. )

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Every day is a school day. Thought it was just meat and blood.

Sorry about that.

Reactions: SaladDaze
M

Member496333

Every day is a school day. Thought it was just meat and blood.

Sorry about that.

Me too. This subject came up recently and I learned that in fact most black pudding contains a considerable amount of carbohydrate. Certainly most commercially available brands.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
.....and has good BS control?

Usually eat low carb but just fed up of it at the moment! Feeling a bit fed up with diabetes and just want a bit of normality back.

I do have a libre which helps.
I eat normal (not low-carb and I eat everything I used to before I was diagnosed, I snack and eat sweets whenever I feel like etc) and have an A1C of 6.1% (43) which I'm happy with.