Testing with the Libre - Changes in the rules for driving

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No and no, Clive. Simply learning as I go. I might end up Type 2 eventually so am thinking ahead.

I do not know anything about medically restricted licenses so am wondering who they might apply to and how it might affect me.

Googling, I see retinopathy and neuropathy is a reason given for restriction, so that could apply to me eventually.

I am also very interested in the Libre device.

Does that answer your question @evilclive ?

If you're diagnosed T1, you lose your licence and have to reapply. When you get it back it only lasts 1 or 3 years. There are also rather more stringent restrictions on driving lorries and busses. Some T2s might need to apply too, though I suspect that wouldn't apply to you for a fair while. https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving has details.

For diabetics they're mostly concerned about hypos. Losing eyesight (eg by retinopathy) is covered under a different part - the standard visual acuity to drive, which applies to everybody. Again, with the HbA1c levels you mention, this seems unlikely to be a problem for you for a long time.

Re libre - yes, I think it might be intersting to try one for a couple of weeks in your situation, though probably not worth using full time unless you're really keen and have the cash. Do you have an NFC-enabled phone? If so, you just need to find a sensor from somewhere - as you've found, they won't sell direct to you for a while while they work out their manufacturing capacity. Maybe try Asda or Superdrug pharamcies?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're diagnosed T1, you lose your licence and have to reapply. When you get it back it only lasts 1 or 3 years. There are also rather more stringent restrictions on driving lorries and busses. Some T2s might need to apply too, though I suspect that wouldn't apply to you for a fair while. https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving has details.

For diabetics they're mostly concerned about hypos. Losing eyesight (eg by retinopathy) is covered under a different part - the standard visual acuity to drive, which applies to everybody. Again, with the HbA1c levels you mention, this seems unlikely to be a problem for you for a long time.

Re libre - yes, I think it might be intersting to try one for a couple of weeks in your situation, though probably not worth using full time unless you're really keen and have the cash. Do you have an NFC-enabled phone? If so, you just need to find a sensor from somewhere - as you've found, they won't sell direct to you for a while while they work out their manufacturing capacity. Maybe try Asda or Superdrug pharamcies?
Thanks Clive, yes I do have an NFC enabled phone. I use it for Applepay so am all set to go.

You hit the nail on the head there. I aim to try one for a couple of weeks.

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have to say, I'm a bit worried about this. I have had scenarios where the Libre has read 5 (yes, 5!) mmol above the actual blood glucose level. I don't have hypo unawareness, but I probably wouldn't be able to differentiate between 5.5 and 4.5 just by the way I feel. Obviously the trending information is useful, but I will continue to finger prick for verification before driving whatever the guidance.

Reactions: Dodo

Janet.h

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most of us dislike something
As a T2, I was recently given an extra set of meds as other medication had sent my Hba1c up. Many of these meds, other than Metformin, can cause hypos so I stood my ground and refused to accept what was offered. The nurse scuttled off to see a dr to find one that didn't cause weight gain, didn't cause hypos and didn't require me to inform the DVLA and my insurance. It's not just insulin that can be a problem. My neighbour had serious hypos when given glicazide, for example.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Have to say, I'm a bit worried about this. I have had scenarios where the Libre has read 5 (yes, 5!) mmol above the actual blood glucose level. I don't have hypo unawareness, but I probably wouldn't be able to differentiate between 5.5 and 4.5 just by the way I feel. Obviously the trending information is useful, but I will continue to finger prick for verification before driving whatever the guidance.

This is what I was thinking. Libre worked perfectly for me for 6 months to a year, then I developed an allergy and the readings became erratic and then useless. Though it works perfectly for many, I'd be very cautious about about assuming it works for all, and I'd recommend that anyone who does use it does additional occasional checks to rule out dodgy sensors and/or altering body chemistry. I'm guessing that Abbott know the statistics on how many people it doesn't work for, but they don't appear to be sharing them with anyone else. Very risky indeed to rely on it for driving....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Clive, yes I do have an NFC enabled phone. I use it for Applepay so am all set to go.

You hit the nail on the head there. I aim to try one for a couple of weeks.

Certain NFC phones are not compatable with the LIbre. Warnings are put out with the apps (along with a list of compatable devices.) that some NFC hardware may damage or affect the sensor.
Be advised. ;) The Glimp and I belive the Libre official scanning app advises on an incompatible model,of phone.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Certain NFC phones are not compatable with the LIbre. Warnings are put out with the apps (along with a list of compatable devices.) that some NFC hardware may damage or affect the sensor.
Be advised. ;) The Glimp and I belive the Libre official scanning app advises on an incompatible model,of phone.
I checked with Abbott. They say that my version of the iPhone is compatible.

“The FreeStyle LibreLink app is compatible with NFC enabled phones running Android OS 5.0 or higher and with iPhone 7 and higher running OS 11 and higher”

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I assume they can ask us to prove we were safe to drive and we can do this by showing the history on our test meter.
If we fail to do so following an accident, I assume I am handing my insurers a reason not to cover me.

Oddly, I've been driving since 1986/7. Been stopped by the law on numerous occasions. (Mainly "Christmas campaign stuff.or a light out. Maybe a "comercial van" in the early hours to detect potetal theft crime?)
Including officers in the EU. (Dutch.) never questioned a 3 year restricted licence on why or asked for a meter reading. (Though I can confidently produce from a traditional BG device.)
All they focus on is drink & recreational drugs. Satisfied I am sent on my way!

Yes, I have a resposibillty on the prescribed drugs I am dependent on.

@Listlad , if & maybe you wind up in the ID or glic "club." Panic ye not on this subject of DVLA. There are plenty of Libre threads regarding your pursuit on that topic...

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oddly, I've been driving since 1986/7. Been stopped by the law on numerous occasions. (Mainly "Christmas campaighn stuff.or a light out. Maybe a "comercial van" in the early hours to detect potetal theft crime?)
Including officers in the EU. (Dutch.) never questioned a 3 year restricted licence on why or asked for a meter reading. (Though I can confidently produce from a traditional BG device.)
All they focus on is drink & recreational drugs. Satisfied I am sent on my way!

Yes, I have a resposibillty on the prescribed drugs I am dependent on.

@Listlad , if & maybe you wind up in the ID or glic "club." Panic ye not on this subject of DVLA. There are plenty of Libre threads regarding your pursuit on that topic...
Okay. Thanks. I was curious as my work colleague has to apply for her license every year as far as I can remember, or something along those lines, however she is Type 1 so I am not certain if that makes a difference. Also she is in one of the Crown Dependencies as opposed to mainland UK. It did stress her out when the time came around to it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay. Thanks. I was curious as my work colleague has to apply for her license every year as far as I can remember, or something along those lines, however she is Type 1 so I am not certain if that makes a difference. Also she is in one of the Crown Dependencies as opposed to mainland UK. It did stress her out when the time came around to it.

The maximum has always been in my experience since passing my driving test, 3 years. I neither have a problem with required vision or hypo unawarness... Never ending In 3rd party assistance in the historical incidence of a low.

My neighbour also owned a cat (called Whiskey.) who was insulin dependant I got no idea if it had a current driving licence or not. ;)
Hope this helps focus on your own condition.. :)

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The maximum has always been in my experience since passing my driving test, 3 years.
Well it doesn’t surprise me if the driving and diabetes related regulations are different between U.K. mainland and Crown Dependencies. As there are quite a lot of differences aswell as similarities.

I have only relatively recently moved back to mainland UK so am still re - acclimatising to things here. Hence my interest in such matters, as you will appreciate.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

KenBachelor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
I actually did pass out while driving in 1972 and woke up in the Radcliffe Infirmary in Oxford. It seems I'd blocked a narrow country lane and eventually somebody got out of their car to find out why I didn't move over and allow them to pass. Believe me I'll never do it again.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sometimes my libre doesn't give me accurate readings but the ones I've had have always read lower when I was low and higher when I was high!! Don't think I have in the last 1.5 yrs had one that said I wasnt below 4 when my meter said I was!! I do understand though that it is better to be safe than sorry esp when we could kill someone by driving hypo!!

That could be an issue if they insist on seeing all the data as part of a review for a HGV driver.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That could be an issue if they insist on seeing all the data as part of a review for a HGV driver.
Anyone driving bigger vehicles still has to blood test before driving and every two hours, as before. The Libre/CGM acceptance is only for cars and motorbikes.

D

Deleted Account

Reactions: Jaylee and porl69

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! Please excuse me for being slow.
I read this thread as "it will happen one day in the future ... far far away".
I have just realised it is in effect now ... as from 15th February.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...ler-for-drivers-with-insulin-treated-diabetes
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/drivers-diabetes-can-now-check-15837569
And Diabetes UK have updated their website (https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/life-with-diabetes/driving)

Not to worry. :)

You're not the only one that wasn't upto speed on this fantastic news... ;):D

Reactions: Kim Possible