3 year License - cant see any restrictions

deepanshus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
i recently diagnosed for Type 2 diabetes and had to inform DVLA as i was prescribed insulin. I have now recieved my new 3 year validity license but contrary to what i read at lot of places, i can not see any sort of "restriction" code on the license.

when i am renewing the insurance, i think the appropriate selection would be "Medical Condition - DVLA Aware, unrestricted license". Is there any reason why i should be selecting a "3 year restricted license" ?

Deepanshu

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
when i am renewing the insurance, i think the appropriate selection would be "Medical Condition - DVLA Aware, unrestricted license". Is there any reason why i should be selecting a "3 year restricted license" ?
In my opinion it is a 3 year restricted license, it is a time restricted license, you also may not have options on there that were there before (but never used) - for instance I don't have as many options available to me as my workmate because I'm insulin dependent.
If you tell the insurance it is a normal license chances are you won't be covered by it.

Edit: it helps if I use the right words :)

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ring your insurer and get more information - safest way.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi,
i recently diagnosed for Type 2 diabetes and had to inform DVLA as i was prescribed insulin. I have now recieved my new 3 year validity license but contrary to what i read at lot of places, i can not see any sort of "restriction" code on the license.

Deepanshu

Agree with @Rokaab above. Although I think things may be different these days, passing a car driving test used to automatically give you a license to drive other vehicle groups upto and including 7.5 Ton trucks. This was taken off my license when I first informed DVLA of my diabetes - hence it's restricted.

Reactions: deepanshus

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@deepanshus the reason you should be selecting “3 year restricted licence” is because you have a 3 year restricted licence.

A normal licence would not be restricted to 3 years.

Reactions: deepanshus

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
does the dvla send you a renewal when your license is due to be reknewed after three years

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
does the dvla send you a renewal when your license is due to be reknewed after three years

You will get a reminder notification letter. You then have to apply for the renewal which can now be done on-line. I renewed my license this way last time around and it was very fast.

deepanshus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, thanks for all your comments. I did call up my insurer and (Admiral) and changed my type to "3 year restricted, DVLA aware". There was no charges or change in the premium (kudos to Admiral here, no discrimination) . i also checked with the DVLA that the licensed would be renewed after 3 years upon filling up another form which my GP would have to sign and again there will be no charges for renewal (unlike normal license).

Also, just to add, in case someone reads it in future. I called up DVLA asking details about how to return my current license before a new 3 year license can be issued and they confirmed that its not a legal requirement to have your license on you to drive the car. So i posted my form and license (recorded delivery) and got a new one in about a week. I would recommend keeping a photocopy and proof of posting.

Reactions: Dodo and urbanracer

margamandan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi, i had an old license, with higher vehicle weight classifications, and when diagnosed 3 years ago, they restricted my weight classes etc, and time restricted the license too. as stated by another poster, you are now on a 3 year restricted license. in your situation, it probably only became restricted on time, as you passed your test after a certain date and had the newer limited weight classifications.

good luck with your condition

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hi,

Deepanshu
There never is a restriction code unless you have other special needs.. the restriction is time based ie a 1 or 3 year expiry date so that your health can be assessed every 1 or 3 years

My license is 1 year restricted

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You're responding to REALLY old posts. Not much chance of replies