are you worried about future possible complications related to diabetes ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Though more men get them than women, women do have them the screening was instituted for men above certain age I really do believe they should extend it to women and even lower the age limit on it and save lives by doing so.

I agree it should be for all women. Currently, men under the age of 65, and all women, can have the test if they have a close relative with the problem. So I would qualify on those grounds.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
So I would qualify on those grounds.

As would my daughter. Judith would as well because her father my father in law also died when his ruptured.

edit to add the only benefit to my diabetes was the fact that in diabetics the growth of A.A.As is slowed for some reason.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As would my daughter. Judith would as well because her father my father in law also died when his ruptured.

edit to add the only benefit to my diabetes was the fact that in diabetics the growth of A.A.As is slowed for some reason.

Is Judith going to ask for a test? I wonder why diabetes slows the growth down.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes she is. As to why A A A are slowed no one in certain.

The strange relationship between diabetes and abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Abstract
In a 1997 report of a large abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) screening study, we observed a negative association between diabetes and AAA. Although this was not previously described and negative associations between diseases are rare, the credibility of the finding was supported by consistent results in several previous studies and by the absence of an obvious artifactual explanation. Since that time, a variety of studies of AAA diagnosis, both by screening and prospective clinical follow-up, have confirmed the finding. Other studies have reported slower aneurysm enlargement and fewer repairs for rupture in diabetics. The seeming protective effect of diabetes for AAA contrasts with its causal role in occlusive vascular disease and so provides a strong challenge to the traditional view of AAA as a manifestation of atherosclerosis. Research focused on a protective effect of diabetes has already increased our understanding of the etiology of AAA, and might eventually pave the way for new therapies to slow AAA progression.

That was quite a long time ago and I don't know if any progress was made in the intervening time.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22237512

Just found this

https://academic.oup.com/cardiovascres/article/114/13/1702/5056750

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It also seems to be a good argument for taking Metformin

"In addition, a nested case–control analysis including 4468 patients with AAA and 4468 matched controls revealed that metformin, sulfonylurea, and thiazolidinedione use was associated with a lower risk of developing aneurysm.114 The negative association between metformin use and AAA enlargement and growth was confirmed in other studies.115,116 No significant association was found between metformin use and the risk of rupture."

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are you thoughts , do you think when we have it under control we won't get complications ?

It lowers the chances considerably....
From a T1 perspective diagnosed as a kid? My mum was more privy to the knowledge of the risks than me from the HCPs at the time. No internet then. I stole into a "student nurse's" room lodging with us when I was 10 or 11 whilst she was out clubbing & perused her books focusing on the subject of diabetes.. It was a revilation & an understanding of what I wasn't told & shielded from by my mum..
I quietly rebelled in my teens. (Like you do?)
But settling down, & now a 50 year old. I realise I could have messed up a lot worse if a chance encounter with a "Diagate" incident hadn't happened as a kid.

If this forum had been around in the early 1980s. I wouldn't have risked the chance of being discovered by a drunk student nurse.. Lol, which my mum also had to deal with after she staggered back to the "digs." :banghead:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My dad died from a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurism, having had no symptoms until the morning the ambulance carried him away. He was operated on immediately but didn't survive. As soon as screening became available my husband went for the screening but I was refused it as I am female. However, I did have a scan for something else around the same time and the sonographer also checked my aorta while she was at it.
@Bluetit1802 I am surprised that you are not offered an echocardiogram due to your family history - 2 of my friends have lost close relatives through a ruptured aortic aneurysm and are screened annually. My husband had an aortic root replacement 11 years ago and he still has regular checks. Luckily for him he was already being checked due to a leaking aortic valve so once his aorta reached the size that it needed to be operated on they did it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 I am surprised that you are not offered an echocardiogram due to your family history - 2 of my friends have lost close relatives through a ruptured aortic aneurysm and are screened annually. My husband had an aortic root replacement 11 years ago and he still has regular checks. Luckily for him he was already being checked due to a leaking aortic valve so once his aorta reached the size that it needed to be operated on they did it.

I have had 4 echocardiograms in the last 6 or 7 years. These were nothing to do with aortic aneurysms. The first 3 were part of the monitoring I had for the type of treatment I was having for breast cancer. The last one was last year when they were looking for the possibility of A-Fib, which proved negative. My heart is in excellent shape. I can have the normal AAA scan if I ask, because of the family history, but I had that as part of some investigations for something else several years ago. When my husband had his AAA scan it was clear. He asked about future screening and was told it is a one-time screening for those aged 65 to 75. However, I am considering asking for another because of the family history aspect.

Reactions: Daphne917

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I could die of cancer first or be in a car accident.
I do my best, but life is for living. Type 1 is a daily struggle that you do not switch off from and is not easily controllable just from diet.
What puts things in perspective for me is that my best friend as a child died of bone cancer aged 9. My husbands best friend died of pancreatic cancer In his 30s leaving 2 children under 5. And my sister in law died of breast cancer at 33 leaving 3 children under 6. Two female work colleagues also died young. One from a heart attack and the other in a car accident. I can but do my best, but life is for living not living it in fear of what might happen. And what is already gone is gone.

Reactions: Muneeb

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I do think about what diabetes might do to me from time to time but I have more urgent medical conditions which will likely kill me long before my type 2 causes any serious damage.

I'm recovering from my second heart attack so I'm more concerned with that right now than whether I'll lose a toe in 10 years. Assuming I live that long.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Not at all!
Type 1 for 48 years. Blind in 1 eye and stage 4CKD, yes caused by T1D BUT my fault through bad control when I was younger. Putting a halt to bad control limits the complications later on in life.

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do worry about it. I'm currently paranoid about the floaters in my eyes (even though I've had them all my life!) and I'm anxiously awaiting the results of my eye-screenings.

As others have said though, nothing is certain in life. Be as healthy as you can and hope for the best.

Reactions: porl69
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Not at all!
Type 1 for 48 years. Blind in 1 eye and stage 4CKD, yes caused by T1D BUT my fault through bad control when I was younger. Putting a halt to bad control limits the complications later on in life.

Good for you @porl69 when I read some of the posts from younger member's and how hard they find it coping with type 1 diabetes, denial etc, it breaks my heart at times, I really do feel for them.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I do think about what diabetes might do to me from time to time but I have more urgent medical conditions which will likely kill me long before my type 2 causes any serious damage.

I'm recovering from my second heart attack so I'm more concerned with that right now than whether I'll lose a toe in 10 years. Assuming I live that long.

I hope you are on the mend now @Inchindown and I wish you a healthy recovery
You say the same as me " If i live that long" my daughter doesn't like it when I say that, so I won't say that around her anymore :oops:

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have had a heart attack, quadruple bypass surgery, have cancer and diabetes. The heart attack was almost 30 years ago. My experience has been just to do the very best I can and try to keep enjoying life. What more can you do, try not to waste too much time worrying and keep a positive mental attitude as far as possible.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have had a heart attack, quadruple bypass surgery, have cancer and diabetes. The heart attack was almost 30 years ago. My experience has been just to do the very best I can and try to keep enjoying life. What more can you do, try not to waste too much time worrying and keep a positive mental attitude as far as possible.

But apart from that you are A OK :)

Reactions: Pasha

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
But apart from that you are A OK :)

Yes indeed I am. My wife taught me a really great saying ie "you take yourself wherever you go".Took me some time to internalise the message but its proven to be invaluable.

A final word about living with diabetes. Its never ending and pretty demanding compared to my other problems, but with a strong effort great improvements can be reaped. Sometimes one can feel" the loneliness of the long distance runner". Once good [ specifically for you ] eating habits have been settled it becomes much easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: porl69