are you worried about future possible complications related to diabetes ?

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
What are you thoughts , do you think when we have it under control we won't get complications ?
I think its a fair point.

As I was diagnosed in my late 40s I don't really what know what damage had already been done. My Mum had diabetes for 40 plus years and had eyesight and foot issues which, again, you don't know, may have already been in the pipeline long before official diagnosis.

Yes I worry because its on top of two strokes, fibromyalgia, Autism etc and I don't cope well with being ill..which I am permanently.

All I can do is try very hard to limit whatever damage has already been done.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I worried a lot about them when I was first diagnosed, not least because I was only diagnosed in the context of the GP refusing to test me and then mis handling the foot infection Id gone to him about - that very nearly lost me my leg so kinda focused my mind. That worry was what I used to ensure I did everything I cculd to take control of my diabetes with as little medication as possible
Fast forward 22 years, Im still here, dont have any complications other than mild neuropathy and permenantly fluctuating between” completely clear” and “ very mild early changes” on my annual eye screens. Im no longer worried about complications -I’m content to know that Ive done and continue to do as much as I can to understand and tame diabetes. so worry wont benefit me.
I also think back to a non diabetic, seemingly very healthy University friend who dropped down dead from a stroke while he was playing squash at the age of 19 - when it comes down to it, S*** happens - reduce the risks you can then get on with life

Last edited:

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I worry enough to be motivated to keep going - but beyond that no. I may be totally wrong, but my feeling is if I don't have complications now and I keep my levels good, then the risks of complications are much lower than they were. As others have said, I will worry about them if they happen but I can only control the here and now. To me this means:

Keeping my blood/sugar levels as close to normal as I can (they average around 7.5 a day now - 4 weeks or so ago it was spiking to 27+ and my first A1C was 122 (through the roof as my DSN said).
Keeping my cholesterol at a good level (mine was 0.1 higher than recommended when tested - but I have improved my diet and exercise since).
Keeping my blood pressure at a good level (mine was a little high at around 140/80 but seems to be lower now around 130/70 this morning).
Checking my feet every day and making sure they are moisturised (my own mix of Shea butter and Jojoba oil)
Reducing my carbs but not adding loads of fat back (I am not saying Keto doesn't work - but it's not for me - at least not yet). Reducing carbs for me means eating less than 150g a day (I was probably eating over 300g a day).
Eating more veggies and generally more fresh food instead of processed food
Eating less takeaways (they were common - now they are a special treat and even then there are only a few things I will have).
More exercise - I do some limited walking every day (I park my car a good 10-15 mins walk away from work) and have an "under the table" exercise bike that I use for about 30 mins most evenings.

Basically just what seems to me to be common sense. It seems to be working for me at the moment. I am losing weight too (had to make two new holes in my belt that previously had a spare hole) so that's a good bonus. I have changed my lifestyle a bit but nothing drastic. It's what I can do now, but apart from making changes that seem to make sense to me, I don't "worry" about it.

I should clarify though: when I say I don't worry about it, I mean generally. At times I really do worry about it, and about everything. Sometimes I do get a bit depressed about having to make these (to be honest small) changes to my life and some things I would like to do I cant do anymore (like eating far too many cakes!). When I feel down - I worry about everything including complications but that's not really the complications, its just that I worry about EVERYTHING then. It's not often though so I can live with it :)

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I worry enough to be motivated to keep going - but beyond that no. I may be totally wrong, but my feeling is if I don't have complications now and I keep my levels good, then the risks of complications are much lower than they were. As others have said, I will worry about them if they happen but I can only control the here and now. To me this means:

Keeping my blood/sugar levels as close to normal as I can (they average around 7.5 a day now - 4 weeks or so ago it was spiking to 27+ and my first A1C was 122 (through the roof as my DSN said).
Keeping my cholesterol at a good level (mine was 0.1 higher than recommended when tested - but I have improved my diet and exercise since).
Keeping my blood pressure at a good level (mine was a little high at around 140/80 but seems to be lower now around 130/70 this morning).
Checking my feet every day and making sure they are moisturised (my own mix of Shea butter and Jojoba oil)
Reducing my carbs but not adding loads of fat back (I am not saying Keto doesn't work - but it's not for me - at least not yet). Reducing carbs for me means eating less than 150g a day (I was probably eating over 300g a day).
Eating more veggies and generally more fresh food instead of processed food
Eating less takeaways (they were common - now they are a special treat and even then there are only a few things I will have).
More exercise - I do some limited walking every day (I park my car a good 10-15 mins walk away from work) and have an "under the table" exercise bike that I use for about 30 mins most evenings.

Basically just what seems to me to be common sense. It seems to be working for me at the moment. I am losing weight too (had to make two new holes in my belt that previously had a spare hole) so that's a good bonus. I have changed my lifestyle a bit but nothing drastic. It's what I can do now, but apart from making changes that seem to make sense to me, I don't "worry" about it.

I should clarify though: when I say I don't worry about it, I mean generally. At times I really do worry about it, and about everything. Sometimes I do get a bit depressed about having to make these (to be honest small) changes to my life and some things I would like to do I cant do anymore (like eating far too many cakes!). When I feel down - I worry about everything including complications but that's not really the complications, its just that I worry about EVERYTHING then. It's not often though so I can live with it :)

I have been type 2 for two years this March, lost a few stone and got my numbers down , but then had some family tragedies and gave up ate wrong and yet only put half a pound on , had blurred vision constant thirst and sleeping during the day and felt tired all the time , had my ac1 test it was 105 , went straight on LCHF diet and brought the numbers right down , having my ac1 end of this month and I'll post the result . I was scared for my health and decided i needed to take action. Problems resolved now so back on track but can't let life's problems affect my health again life is too precious and health is important for a happy life .

Well done on your results .

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
This is my 30th year with type 1 and it has been difficult over the years, especially last year. But I am still here and hope to keep complications at an arms length.

Life is a one time offer, use it well :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Diakat

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is my 30th year with type 1 and it has been difficult over the years, especially last year. But I am still here and hope to keep complications at a arms length.

Life is a one time offer, use it well :)
Do you generally feel well then , as long as you control your sugar ? My auntie had type 1 and never had any complications at all she was 89 when she died and it was not related to diabetes, she was very healthy for fifty years of being diagnosed .

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Do you generally feel well then , as long as you control your sugar ? My auntie had type 1 and never had any complications at all she was 89 when she died and it was not related to diabetes, she was very healthy for fifty years of being diagnosed .

That is wonderful to read, 50 years of type 1 without complications, that's an achievement. Physically I am fit and active, but a couple of other conditions cause problems. It's trying to get the balance right, no matter how hard I try at times, it is difficult, but this has only been lately, maybe it's burnout.

Ponchu

I’ve got to learn from the past. Even using it to warn my kids comforts me.

“...teach me to number my days...” in spite of the unknown and the call to trust, rather than be anxious.

keefidee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed T2 about 4 years ago, since then I have lost approximately 2 stone and reduced my G. L to acceptable levels with diet and no medications. Fell of the wagon recently so I am redoubling my efforts to fully regain control and prove to my GP that I do not need meds. I have seen first hand what could happen, that is all the incentive I need.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed T2 about 4 years ago, since then I have lost approximately 2 stone and reduced my G. L to acceptable levels with diet and no medications. Fell of the wagon recently so I am redoubling my efforts to fully regain control and prove to my GP that I do not need meds. I have seen first hand what could happen, that is all the incentive I need.
I did the same my diagnosis in March 2017 was 88 , I lost two stone and was under control then I had a lot of stuff happen fell off the wagon, didn't gain weight but ate wrong foods and became ill with blurry vision all the time tiredness other problems and my blood was up at 105, was given Metformin but refused to take it , next A1c next Wednesday fingers crossed a big drop .

Reactions: keefidee

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are you thoughts , do you think when we have it under control we won't get complications ?
It makes sense and it's the only thing we can do. When what happens, happens, if it happens, I will have done my best. In the past I've survived much worse than Type 1, too scary for me to name. Being alive is a miracle and I will never forget that.

keefidee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the same my diagnosis in March 2017 was 88 , I lost two stone and was under control then I had a lot of stuff happen fell off the wagon, didn't gain weight but ate wrong foods and became ill with blurry vision all the time tiredness other problems and my blood was up at 105, was given Metformin but refused to take it , next A1c next Wednesday fingers crossed a big drop .
My GL went from 42 to 60, GP wanted me to on to medication straight away but I refused. We agreed to retest in 3 months time (end of February) to discuss future path. Sticking to LCHF with no treats, have lost 3/4 stone and testing regularly, bloods appear to be cooperating but it's not helping having to fight of a nasty cough and cold over the last 2 - 3 weeks.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
In many ways those of us who strive to keep our diabetes under control are probably likely to have fewer complications in life than those who are not diabetic who may be following a lifestyle guaranteed to make them ill. I think what most of us (on this site anyway) have in common is a desire to take control of our health across the board, not just in relation to glucose levels. I know you can't alter your genes but you sure as heck can improve your chances. So, in answer to the question, yes, it's natural to think about potential complications but not to worry excessively about them when we are doing good stuff to minimise them.
I look at this way..I have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes and had a heart attack 14-15 years ago. I would rather be walking around knowing this with docs looking after me than thinking I am healthy and unaware of what is going on with my body. People are walking around with a ticking time bomb not knowing that it could go off at any time. I am more fortunate as I am being monitored. The moral of this? always go for a medical, even if you feel healthy.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I look at this way..I have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes and had a heart attack 14-15 years ago. I would rather be walking around knowing this with docs looking after me than thinking I am healthy and unaware of what is going on with my body. People are walking around with a ticking time bomb not knowing that it could go off at any time. I am more fortunate as I am being monitored. The moral of this? always go for a medical, even if you feel healthy.

Oh I 100% agree. You just have to read how many people refuse invitations for cancer screening, other NHS available screenings, health checks for the over 40's and so on. These things save lives, that is beyond doubt. Ticking time bombs can easily be avoided if only everyone would take up these invitations. My life was saved by a routine mammogram that caught my non-symptomatic cancer early. I hate to think what may have happened if I hadn't gone, and my non-symptomatic T2 diagnosis was picked up fairly early due to a routine health check.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wouldn't worry too much about background retinopathy, its very common in diabetics. But it can be reversed with good control, our bodies are marvelous things and with good control they can repair a lot of damage done before. The main aim is to get your glucose levels as close to a non-diabetic as possible (sounds easy but not so easy in practice I know). As they say, wear is a natural process but how quick it happens depends on how well you manage the process.
For the type 1s out there 20 years on from dagnosis is supposed to be the time when complications begin to manifest and that was true for me. I am not allowed to drive due to eye surgery to save my sight (retinopahty) that did not respond to treatment) and now I am really conscious of trying to both live a normal life and not get obsessed but aware that the excess sugar is causing excess rusting of my micro/macro vascular systems! So yes I do worry but on the other hand there's no time to indulge in a pity party so am doing all I can to achieve as close to normal as I can. Not easy but what else can we do?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Oh I 100% agree. You just have to read how many people refuse invitations for cancer screening, other NHS available screenings, health checks for the over 40's and so on. These things save lives, that is beyond doubt. Ticking time bombs can easily be avoided if only everyone would take up these invitations. My life was saved by a routine mammogram that caught my non-symptomatic cancer early. I hate to think what may have happened if I hadn't gone, and my non-symptomatic T2 diagnosis was picked up fairly early due to a routine health check.

For me it was screening for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm if I had not gone I probably would have died by now my friend refuses to go as he says he would rather not know I find that incredulously short sighted and foolish mine is now fixed and no longer a problem.

Reactions: gemma_T1

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I cannot understand why women do not go for a smear test. I went and they found abnormal cells. They sorted that out within an hour of being an outpatient.I had 3 nurses holding my hand all the way through it. I then left the room, gave them all a hug and thanked them..Went for a coffee downstairs in the hospital..Waited for the letter and got the all clear. Same when I had bleeding, yes it is scary but you have to go. It was Polyps. I had 4 on my womb or 3 cannot remember, this was causing the bleeding, Same again had nurses around me with my outpatient appointment, took 30 mins. It is so important to get checked out.

Reactions: gemma_T1

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it was screening for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm if I had not gone I probably would have died by now my friend refuses to go as he says he would rather not know I find that incredulously short sighted and foolish mine is now fixed and no longer a problem.

My dad died from a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurism, having had no symptoms until the morning the ambulance carried him away. He was operated on immediately but didn't survive. As soon as screening became available my husband went for the screening but I was refused it as I am female. However, I did have a scan for something else around the same time and the sonographer also checked my aorta while she was at it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I was refused it as I am female
Though more men get them than women, women do have them the screening was instituted for men above certain age I really do believe they should extend it to women and even lower the age limit on it and save lives by doing so.