When in Rome (LCHF in Italy)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mr Pot advised:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...-do-the-hba1c-test.160620/page-2#post-1971361

I didn’t eat any gelato or pizza but I did have the occasional small pasta. There are plenty of other low carb things to eat at restaurants in Rome for evening meals and hotel breakfasts usually have ham, cheese and eggs. A light lunch can be a problem but if I eat anything I get something suitable from a supermarket.”

Thanks again @Mr_Pot

I guess the local supermarket is likely to be useful.

I was reading this write up on LCHF in Italy:

https://www.verywellfit.com/low-carb-eating-in-italian-restaurants-2241935

Which seems to be helpful. Also someone mentioned Orzo or Orza the other day....

Anybody else had experience of low carbing in the City of Rome or Italy in general?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’ll be the same as eating low carb anywhere on earth.

Don’t overthink it.

You can go to any Italian restaurant in the UK and easily eat a great meal with very few carbs.

Reactions: Listlad

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It's been a long while since I visited Italy but I do remember fabulous fish or veal dishes and lots of lovely cheese.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It’ll be the same as eating low carb anywhere on earth.

Don’t overthink it.

You can go to any Italian restaurant in the UK and easily eat a great meal with very few carbs.
I see your point. I was wondering if nutritional labelling might be in place on the backs of supermarket produce like it is here in the UK....

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Orzo is a type of small pasta. Still carb heavy.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to Verona last year and had worries but they were groundless. All restaurants had a grill section on their menus ie fish or meat which you could choose grilled veg with normally a mix of courgette, aubergines peppers. I found it really easy and so enjoyed it. You just have to say no to frittes and swerve the bread basket. They also do cheese often on dessert menu. Enjoy what a wonderful adventure

Reactions: ringi and Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to Verona last year and had worries but they were groundless. All restaurants had a grill section on their menus ie fish or meat which you could choose grilled veg with normally a mix of courgette, aubergines peppers. I found it really easy and so enjoyed it. You just have to say no to frittes and swerve the bread basket. They also do cheese often on dessert menu. Enjoy what a wonderful adventure
Okay, thanks very much for that.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did wonder about the regulations in the U.K. being the same across the EU. If so then Italian food items in the Italian shops will have similar labelling....
Look it up. I'm sure there will be Italian supermarkets with websites online.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep. Just looked up Gorgonzola and they have carbohydrate content listed on the packaging in 3 languages :)

Carboidrati. :D

Last edited:

S&B

As a low carber and T2 for 20 years plus, I have been to Italy many many times; don’t worry there are great menu choices - seafood, fish, meats, salads, veggies, cheeses - in fact I would say in Italy lchf is easy. Gelato can be a bit hit and miss, but plenty of frozen yoghurt with fresh fruit, and milky, mascarpone deserts that are not overly sweetened. Have a great time

Reactions: ringi

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a low carber and T2 for 20 years plus, I have been to Italy many many times; don’t worry there are great menu choices - seafood, fish, meats, salads, veggies, cheeses - in fact I would say in Italy lchf is easy. Gelato can be a bit hit and miss, but plenty of frozen yoghurt with fresh fruit, and milky, mascarpone deserts that are not overly sweetened. Have a great time
@S&B Thanks for that.

How do you mean gelato can be hit and miss? Is there a low carb gelato? :D

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Why look for packaged goods, deli items will be low carb, fresh meats, cheeses, etc. Salad bars, mediterranean veg dishes, marinated fish, anchovies etc are easy to find.......easy to stay away from pasta(orzo is pasta, by the way) and gelato....

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why look for packaged goods, deli items will be low carb, fresh meats, cheeses, etc. Salad bars, mediterranean veg dishes, marinated fish, anchovies etc are easy to find.......easy to stay away from pasta(orzo is pasta, by the way) and gelato....
I will probably look for some, such as Greek Yoghurt (if they have such a thing in Rome). We have booked breakfast included with the board so I suspect I will get by there. So it will be lunchtime and evenings eating out or bringing food back to the hotel where I will need to be vigilant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1spuds

annie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very useful thread, I am also going to Rome very soon and was worried about low carbing while out there. Good stuff to know!

verdesca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
none. very easy going
There is absolutely no reason to worry so do not worry. Just go and have a great adventure.
Btw. A portion of pasta is 70g if you really must
Ciaopeter

Reactions: 1spuds and Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is absolutely no reason to worry so do not worry. Just go and have a great adventure.
Btw. A portion of pasta is 70g if you really must
Ciaopeter
Ah. I see you are from Rome.

Thanks.

quintic

Ciao tutti! I'm not Italian but I'm living here, and I can tell you that you can definitely eat well without a lot of carbs - avoid pasta and pizza of course. There's lots and lots of cheeses, for example. All the bigger stores have "bio" sections where you can find lots of high quality legumes, veggies etc., and there is indeed greek yoghurt - however a word of caution wrt yoghurts... it's really difficult to find yoghurts without flavourings here. So look out for the "carboidrati" levels :)

I can recommend shopping at Pam, Coop and Lidl. Pam is the most expensive one but usually has good quality stuff and a large selection.

If you eat meat then going to restaurants isn't a problem at all. If you're a veggie like me then don't expect it to be any easier than usual :) In general you can find any restaurant you want with whichever cuisine you desire - Italians love all food.

Reactions: 1spuds