Starting a low carb and low calorie diet, need some advice, am I doing it right?

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Just know that excersize can help, but you will need to keep up the dietary change: You can't outrun (out-excersize) a bad diet. Especially when you've got a metabolic condition like we do.

I've been where you're at now. I still get startled when I see one of the few rare photo's that was taken of me the past few years.... I was huge and miserable. So I can tell you, it can be done. (And I have bacon once or twice a day. ;))

Same here.

Like I wrote earlier. Apart from the AI. I was you in October.

38 to a 28 waist and shifted 40lb with diet and some walking. No gym stuff. No fancy exercises just made sure I did an extra 30min walk after my dinner.

Keto is best with just meat as that has no carbs. All veg have a bit. My staple is leeks. 2%. Low enough for a good portion.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
But is fat not bad for your liver and pancreas? Are we not aiming to lose the fat from the liver and pancreas? Sorry for not having the proper understanding
Yes, fat in your liver and/or pancreas is not good. However, fatty liver and fatty pancreas are caused by eating lots of carbs, not fat. Think of how goose/duck liver pate is made: force feeding the poor things with grains to make their livers fatty. I now get about 80% of my calories from fat and doing that got rid of the excess fat in my liver.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating fat pushes your metabolism into fat burning - it is like being able to change your car between diesel and petrol just by putting the fuel you wish to use into the tank and driving off.

Reactions: VioletViolet

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
My lifestyle has changed in a span of 3 days. I feel so depressed not being able to eat all the nice stuff at home, and my family aren't encouraging with all the greggs goodies they bring home![/QUOTE]
Its very hard when people bring home stuff you like, but should not eat. However, remember this is only three days in, they will need to adjust as well as you. It sounds as if you have made a good start. Wishing you a healthier life

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have looked in to the NCL diet, hence why I am creating my own soups. I understand that carbs can create fat? GPs can now prescribe the diabetes.co.uk Low Carb program.? Do you have to be diabetic diagnosed?
I will look in to some carb plans. My lifestyle has changed in a span of 3 days. I feel so depressed not being able to eat all the nice stuff at home, and my family aren't encouraging with all the greggs goodies they bring home!
It is not that carbs can create fat - carbs are what makes us fat - and a lot of animals too - we don't fatten up chickens pigs cattle etc on fatty foods - they get grain, beans - even leftovers from bakeries with lots of sugars too.
I'm afraid that stuff from Greggs is going to be the worst type of food for you, it never attracted me all that much - but I used to work for a food producer so I saw what went into all the basic mixes they made for catering firms. I doubt it has improved all that much. One thing about eating low carb is that the taste buds change, so normal sweetness is far too sweet and that makes many foods pretty disgusting.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Pipp

I am pre-diabetic. I am obese, by 30kg or so. My BMI is about 33.8.I will read in to the posts of that user. I am tracking my blood glucose levels before I go to bed and when I wake up. My current readings are 7.0 in the morning after having veggie soup before bed, and my readings when going to bed are 7.0. This is with soups that I am eating at the moment. They're made of lamb stock, I like the taste. I cook my own soup at home. so I know what goes in them.

I have discussed weight loss with doctors at hospital and they are happy for me to lose weight, and encourage it. My cardiac event is still under investigation, and if anything they say that losing weigh will help.

I have looked in to the NCL diet, hence why I am creating my own soups. I understand that carbs can create fat? GPs can now prescribe the diabetes.co.uk Low Carb program.? Do you have to be diabetic diagnosed?

I will look in to some carb plans. My lifestyle has changed in a span of 3 days. I feel so depressed not being able to eat all the nice stuff at home, and my family aren't encouraging with all the greggs goodies they bring home!
Hello @charlie000
Sorry to take so long to reply. Had a very busy day and evening.
It appears to me that you have taken on board the popular NHS advice that eating fat makes you fat, and so you need to eat low fat, and have carbohydrate foods with every meal. This is the advice that has been given since 1980s, and yet it is since then that there has been the great increase in people becoming obese, and diagnosed with T 2 diabetes. Somewhere along the line you have got the message that carbs are not good if you have blood glucose levels in diabetes or pre-diabetes range, yet still haven’t quite grasped that fat is not the problem in our diet that we are led to believe. (Do forgive me if I am misunderstanding). It is a bit mindblowing to think we have been given the wrong information all these years, and get blamed for being overweight, and having diabetes. When I was first told that I should have low carb and increase the fats in my diet I really thought people were having a laugh at my expense.

So, I think you are hoping that combining low fat and low carb you will reach your weight loss goals more quickly? Sorry but that is going to be a miserable time ahead. You will feel deprived, especially as you say you already feel depressed at not being able to eat what the family are eating. Foods from Greggs that you used to enjoy. The solution there is to create healthy meals that you can enjoy. Your soups are a good start, but as others have said there are so many other great ideas, that will have family envious of what you’re eating. It just takes time and planning.

You need to do a bit of research first. If you are determined to follow Newcastle diet there are meal replacements that are low calorie, AND lowish in carb. (A popular one is https://www.shakethatweight.co.uk/) . These work by causing a process of ketosis, whereby your body uses stored fat as an energy source. Another low calorie method is Michael Moseley’s Blood Sugar diet, (https://thebloodsugardiet.com/), in which real food is consumed, so could give you some ideas for variety as a change from your soups. A very popular method used by many members here is Low Carb High Fat, or LCHF, were carbohydrate reduced, and fat is increased to replace the carbs. Some even go as far as eliminating carbs as far as possible in a ketogenic diet. Do you see what I mean about needing to do some preparation and research before launching into a particular way of eating. A very important point being that you will need to think not of a short term ‘diet’ but a long term way of eating, that will be sustainable for life. There will be no going back to Greggs etc, lifestyle if you want to remain healthy. If you can find alternative foods you are enjoying and are enabling you to stay healthy you are not going to want to return to those old ways.

Also, don’t get too despondent about the amount of weight you have to lose. You are young, and you have the motivation to succeed. Many of our members have lost considerably more, put diabetes into remission, and turned their lives around. Have a look at the Success stories sub-forum. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/
Also, if you are looking for ideas on what you could be eating, try reading this thread ..
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/unread

If you are on medication it is vitally important to have this checked by your doctor, as you lose weight the dosage may have to be reduced. Your doctor should also have information about how to access the DCUK Low Carb program.

Hope this has been of some use.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can fully understand why @charlie000 is so confused. I imagine the advice he got from his Consultants re his atrial fibrillation episode was to go low fat and then the poor bloke is trying to get his head around LCHF. I note many of us are happy to dismiss high cholesterol (I am one of them for myself) but what is the consensus on heart issues and high fat? If you tell someone to discuss with his Doc (as we should of course) then we know what that person will be told.

charlie000

Same here.

Like I wrote earlier. Apart from the AI. I was you in October.

38 to a 28 waist and shifted 40lb with diet and some walking. No gym stuff. No fancy exercises just made sure I did an extra 30min walk after my dinner.

Keto is best with just meat as that has no carbs. All veg have a bit. My staple is leeks. 2%. Low enough for a good portion.
Thank you for this advice pal

charlie000

Yes, fat in your liver and/or pancreas is not good. However, fatty liver and fatty pancreas are caused by eating lots of carbs, not fat. Think of how goose/duck liver pate is made: force feeding the poor things with grains to make their livers fatty. I now get about 80% of my calories from fat and doing that got rid of the excess fat in my liver.
How can I explain to someone that fat does not make you fat? I am beginning to understand it...

charlie000

My lifestyle has changed in a span of 3 days. I feel so depressed not being able to eat all the nice stuff at home, and my family aren't encouraging with all the greggs goodies they bring home!
Its very hard when people bring home stuff you like, but should not eat. However, remember this is only three days in, they will need to adjust as well as you. It sounds as if you have made a good start. Wishing you a healthier life[/QUOTE]
I am beginning to feel a lot better already, just need to work on my sleep pattern...

charlie000

Hello @charlie000
Sorry to take so long to reply. Had a very busy day and evening.
It appears to me that you have taken on board the popular NHS advice that eating fat makes you fat, and so you need to eat low fat, and have carbohydrate foods with every meal. This is the advice that has been given since 1980s, and yet it is since then that there has been the great increase in people becoming obese, and diagnosed with T 2 diabetes. Somewhere along the line you have got the message that carbs are not good if you have blood glucose levels in diabetes or pre-diabetes range, yet still haven’t quite grasped that fat is not the problem in our diet that we are led to believe. (Do forgive me if I am misunderstanding). It is a bit mindblowing to think we have been given the wrong information all these years, and get blamed for being overweight, and having diabetes. When I was first told that I should have low carb and increase the fats in my diet I really thought people were having a laugh at my expense.

So, I think you are hoping that combining low fat and low carb you will reach your weight loss goals more quickly? Sorry but that is going to be a miserable time ahead. You will feel deprived, especially as you say you already feel depressed at not being able to eat what the family are eating. Foods from Greggs that you used to enjoy. The solution there is to create healthy meals that you can enjoy. Your soups are a good start, but as others have said there are so many other great ideas, that will have family envious of what you’re eating. It just takes time and planning.

You need to do a bit of research first. If you are determined to follow Newcastle diet there are meal replacements that are low calorie, AND lowish in carb. (A popular one is https://www.shakethatweight.co.uk/) . These work by causing a process of ketosis, whereby your body uses stored fat as an energy source. Another low calorie method is Michael Moseley’s Blood Sugar diet, (https://thebloodsugardiet.com/), in which real food is consumed, so could give you some ideas for variety as a change from your soups. A very popular method used by many members here is Low Carb High Fat, or LCHF, were carbohydrate reduced, and fat is increased to replace the carbs. Some even go as far as eliminating carbs as far as possible in a ketogenic diet. Do you see what I mean about needing to do some preparation and research before launching into a particular way of eating. A very important point being that you will need to think not of a short term ‘diet’ but a long term way of eating, that will be sustainable for life. There will be no going back to Greggs etc, lifestyle if you want to remain healthy. If you can find alternative foods you are enjoying and are enabling you to stay healthy you are not going to want to return to those old ways.

Also, don’t get too despondent about the amount of weight you have to lose. You are young, and you have the motivation to succeed. Many of our members have lost considerably more, put diabetes into remission, and turned their lives around. Have a look at the Success stories sub-forum. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/
Also, if you are looking for ideas on what you could be eating, try reading this thread ..
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/unread

If you are on medication it is vitally important to have this checked by your doctor, as you lose weight the dosage may have to be reduced. Your doctor should also have information about how to access the DCUK Low Carb program.

Hope this has been of some use.
Hi

Thank you for this. I am understood that high carb is bad for you, and that high fat is good. But I can't seem to put it in to words to a friend how 'fat' does not make you fat...

I asked my GP about DCUK Low Carb program, he doesn't know about it do you need to be a diagnosed diabetic for this?

charlie000

I can fully understand why @charlie000 is so confused. I imagine the advice he got from his Consultants re his atrial fibrillation episode was to go low fat and then the poor bloke is trying to get his head around LCHF. I note many of us are happy to dismiss high cholesterol (I am one of them for myself) but what is the consensus on heart issues and high fat? If you tell someone to discuss with his Doc (as we should of course) then we know what that person will be told.
Afternoon,

Yes the consultants said, to lose weight low fat low sugar food. They didn't mention low carb.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Thank you for this. I am understood that high carb is bad for you, and that high fat is good. But I can't seem to put it in to words to a friend how 'fat' does not make you fat...

I asked my GP about DCUK Low Carb program, he doesn't know about it do you need to be a diagnosed diabetic for this?
This book could be of use to you..
https://www.xperthealth.org.uk/Shop/p/eat-fat-step-by-step-guide-to-low-carb-living

Your GP ought to have info about this...
https://www.nhs.uk/apps-library/low-carb-program/
If not, show him/her. Even if you are pre-diabetic it is appropriate for you.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be careful not to change things to rapidly slowly is better. I would say wait until you have the heart problem sorted before you do anything to drastic

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had Afib for 2 periods of approx. 2 years each. The consultant told me to lose weight by taking those fat blocker things. I got ill doing that. I found LCHF was much more helpful. Most doctors do not understand that fat does not make you fat. I had 3 cardioversions, the middle one being successful for about 18 months and then a catheter ablation in Nov 2012.

The one bit of advice I would give you is to check your vitamin D levels and also your magnesium levels as a deficiency in either of these can cause Afib. Don't rely on your doctor saying the tests are OK. Mine told me this and they weren't OK at all. A naturopath checked my magnesium levels for me and I paid for a vit D test from an NHS hospital (Birmingham), you just send away a finger prick sample. Since my op in 2012 I have been back into Afib briefly a few times, one dose of magnesium is usually all it takes to put it right.