Is starving myself the better option?

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know if this is the right place to discuss this.. but for 2 months, nearly 3 I've had stomach pains and diarrhoea.. it's not just certain foods, it's literally everything, including fruit and vegetables. I only have to eat a few mouthfuls and then I run to the loo, I've spoken to my doctor, she has no clue, referred me to a gastroenterologist but that's not until April, I went to the hospital after ringing 111, they have no clue, blood tests came back normal, haven't got coeliac, spoke to the doctor and DSN at the diabetes clinic, they also have no clue and as it's all coming out of my body not suppose to be taking too much insulin. I'm testing again now but not 8 times a day as even the nurse told me that's extreme, I'm 11-13mmols. I'm also 6st 13, which is underweight.

I honestly feel like starving myself is the better option as I can't keep putting myself through this, I'm waking up at like 3-4 in the morning, running to the toilet and ending up pooing myself, which is embarrassing. I'm also very emotional. I feel like I have a lump in my stomach but the doctors have checked and there's nothing there but I feel it mostly when I've got stomach pain.

I don't know what to do anymore. I don't think I can wait until April, but doctor won't listen, hospital don't listen. Help?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm not T1 but I do not think that starvation is an answer to anything. At your weight you can barely afford to lose weight. I wish I could advise you but I will send you a hug.

Reactions: Freema and Alex_B

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Alex_B Firstly testing up to 8 times a day is perfectly acceptable as a type 1 diabetic, dependent on insulin, your nurse's advice is wrong.

Sorry to hear you are still suffering, have you just tried eating bland foods ? Can you keep a food diary to check food against the reaction ?

You cannot starve yourself, that's simply not going to work, if you can't wait till April then either call 111 or drop into A&E and see if you can get checked out there, this has been going on for a while now, so it's sad they are not bringing your appointment forward.

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Alex_B Firstly testing up to 8 times a day is perfectly acceptable as a type 1 diabetic, dependent on insulin, your nurse's advice is wrong.

Sorry to hear you are still suffering, have you just tried eating bland foods ? Can you keep a food diary to check food against the reaction ?

You cannot starve yourself, that's simply not going to work, if you can't wait till April then either call 111 or drop into A&E and see if you can get checked out there, this has been going on for a while now, so it's sad they are not bringing your appointment forward.

There is no point keeping a food diary as every single food I consume causes a reaction, even when I'm not eating. I really don't know how much more I can take tbh, it's gotten to the point where I am thinking of ending it just to stop the pain, no one is listening. I've been to A&E already there was nothing they could do, they gave me fluids and then sent me home.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Please @Alex_B don't go down that route, call Samaritans 116 123 if you need to speak to someone, ending your life isn't the answer.

Have you told your GP how this is making you feel and that you are having suicidal thoughts ? Your GP should be trying to work something out with you, don't feel that you are being a nuisance by going to see them again.

In regards to the diarrhoea, have you tried soups ? so chicken and vegetable soup, keep drinking lots of fluids, also try a prebiotic too like kefir to try and help your gut bacteria cope better. It's worth a go x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no point keeping a food diary as every single food I consume causes a reaction, even when I'm not eating. I really don't know how much more I can take tbh, it's gotten to the point where I am thinking of ending it just to stop the pain, no one is listening. I've been to A&E already there was nothing they could do, they gave me fluids and then sent me home.
Hi again, Alex - what sort of rate of weight loss are you experiencing? Is it pounds per week, or a bit slower?

At under 7st, you must be underweight, unless you are very short indeed.

Have you tried just having something like scrambled eggs, or even toast for a few days?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Alex_B starving yourself is definitely not an option. What have your bloods been like while you have been like this?

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried all sorts of foods nothing is staying in. Every time I go to the bathroom my weight goes down. And bloods have been 11-13

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I've tried all sorts of foods nothing is staying in. Every time I go to the bathroom my weight goes down. And bloods have been 11-13
I would be spending a lot of time in A&E and or your GPs or even your DSN. Tell them how this is making you feel. You definitely can not wait until April to be seen for this.

M

Member496333

This must surely be some serious gastrointestinal issue? Perhaps a stomach ulcer?

I understand that your doctor has checked your stomach, but it wouldn’t be the first time someone got it wrong.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a suggestion Alex when you see the gastro ask him if it could be bile acid malabsorption which can cause uncontrollable daily diarrhoea. I got a diagnosis years ago after living a life where I couldn't go on a plane, had to abandon my supermarket trolley too many times, among many other unedifying events. There is one medication for this but Codeine also helps. Maybe the doctor could prescribe codeine until you are seen by gastro.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're not taking metformin are you?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I'm on Novorapid and Tresiba, but feels like I'm wasting it as I take it and it's not grabbing onto anything.
Maybe try posting in the T1 section and see if any other T1's have had a similar reaction to those insulin types?
I don't think many T1's fast so you may not get max exposure in this area of the forum..?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good point from @bulkbiker - I can move this thread for you @Alex_B let me know ?