Low carb high fat

Milesy18

High guys. So had Dr's today as now been diagnosed hypothyroid, started on levothyroxine. Because of my prediabetes Dr wants me to attend weekly classes at the surgery regarding diet etc which I'm all for. Only thing is I'm so scared of this big change. As silly as it sounds. It's a big change for me and I know I have to do it especially to loose weight. To those who have done this how did you cope when it got tough and did you find it worked in lowering your hba1c. Thanks

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Has the doctor indicted what diet these weekly classes is about?

annie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many people on this forum have had success in lowering their HbA1c using LCHF but I'd be very surprised if your weekly diet classes actually promote this way of eating. Of course it is natural to be scared of making such a big change to your diet when you've been eating "normally" your whole life - I still find it tough sometimes! It will take effort and a willingness to change but you can do it. Lots of good help and advice here on the forum. :)

Reactions: Caeseji and jjraak

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I doubt they'll be teaching you about low carb/high fat diets at the surgery's diet classes, but I have been wrong before occasionally.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi @Milesy18
on the original doctor proscribed diet.
hungry, depressed, miserable,....lost a few pounds, diabetes got worse...(well my HBA1c (57) and other bloods got worse)
that was tough.

On the forum diet..baby steps at first..less hungry, happier
then took big leap right on in
satisfied, rarely hungry, lost nearly 4 stone..and HBA1c down 15 points..(42)
all other Blood markers improved..:D
think the hardest part was finding the ingredients to start making any of the delicious foods everyone else seemed to knock out daily.
(i've still to progress past crispbreads lol)
but i found it interesting how very different my fridge looks these days.:woot::)

However, like others i'd say it's unlikely you'll be getting the LCHF promoted, probably more of the same
eat less, move more..and get plenty of carbs, grains, cereal, yada, yada, yada...:banghead:

But nothing says you can't have an open mind and try one or two things from here.

i don't know about hypothyroid..or the meds you take, so i'd suggest caution.
But lower carbs, with better fats, worked for me.

Reactions: Milesy18 and Pasha

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If they start talking about eating healthy grains and consuming low amounts of saturated fat you can be pretty sure things aren't going to be worth listening to.

www.dietdoctor.com is a great resource that may well help you if you are not yet familiar with it.

Reactions: Milesy18

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a defunct thyroid for a long time - I just need to remember to take the tablets. I take them in the morning as they can result in nightmares if I take them later than midday.
I lost weight more easily after I started the Thyroxine tablets, as my metabolism was very slow - but I did notice that my hair and nails still grew very slowly - I hardly need to cut them these days.
Diet advice from the NHS has always been dreadful - poor information delivered with a nasty spiteful attitude and then a lot of blame when it all went wrong - but that started decades ago and I might just have been unlucky in the people I had as HCPs.

Milesy18

It's not diet classes as such, talk about diet, also other things diabetes related. Thanks for replying everyone

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi there. Unless your GP is Dr. David Unwin or one of the other (few) LCHF advocates then the chances are that you will get the standard NHS spiel of the 'EatWell Plate' info which amounts to poor advice given in the firm belief that your problems will persist and progress in terms of Diabetes. You may be advised to eat a percentage of carbs with every meal and that snacking is acceptable etc. If you are lucky then a 'Mediterranean' style diet may be mentioned which is a lot better but in my opinion (and this is just my personal view) doesn't go quite far enough and can be misinterpreted (Italians do not eat whole Pizzas in one sitting!).

I hope that it all goes well for you on the course, please let us know what is taught and what you feel about the info that you were given. Good Luck.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As you have a thyroid problem then you should be careful about changing your diet drastically and you do need the doctors advice about it. We can only tell you about the low carb diet it is not the official diet recommended by the NHS but it does work for many diabetics here but we can't say it is right for everyone as it may not be suitable for some with diabetes and other medical conditions

Last edited:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It's not a diet class, it's discussing all sorts, like a group session. I didn't come across very well lol x
Sorry - I assumed from the title of your thread that you were concerned that your diet would be changed to LCHF.

Can you elaborate on what "big change" you are concerned about if it's not a change in diet to LCHF?

Milesy18

Sorry - I assumed from the title of your thread that you were concerned that your diet would be changed to LCHF.

Can you elaborate on what "big change" you are concerned about if it's not a change in diet to LCHF?
Having to give up bread pasta etc, that's drastic for me x

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
hello Milesy18,
Yes it does feel drastic, at first, but you may still be able to have some. Many of us have small portions of the foods you mention. In the end it is a personal choice, and will depend on how your body reacts to them.
Is the weekly class an Xpert health Preventing/Managing Diabetes one?

Milesy18

hello Milesy18,
Yes it does feel drastic, at first, but you may still be able to have some. Many of us have small portions of the foods you mention. In the end it is a personal choice, and will depend on how your body reacts to them.
Is the weekly class an Xpert health Preventing/Managing Diabetes one?
I'm not sure, it's run by 2 Dr's who started it up. I'm going to go Monday and see what it's all about x

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I'm not sure, it's run by 2 Dr's who started it up. I'm going to go Monday and see what it's all about x
That is the best thing you can do, get information on what you need to do to maintain/ improve your health. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Having to give up bread pasta etc, that's drastic for me x
As I said previously, I doubt that's what they'll be telling you. They will likely pushing the Eatwell Guide, which is low fat and high carbs.