End of February 48 hour group fasting support

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done everyone on such great results and some wonderful readings!!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Ketones! I have ketones! 6.8 in fact. So something is happening.

Reminding myself to post about autophagy (which I thought was eating cars).
It has been posted elsewhere that autophagy can tighten up loose skin, for example around the belly.
Just twigged that to do that your body must be digesting and recycling protein (muscle) from the body wall.
Now worrying how your body knows which bits of muscle you don't want and which you would like to keep.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ketones! I have ketones! 6.8 in fact. So something is happening.

Reminding myself to post about autophagy (which I thought was eating cars).
It has been posted elsewhere that autophagy can tighten up loose skin, for example around the belly.
Just twigged that to do that your body must be digesting and recycling protein (muscle) from the body wall.
Now worrying how your body knows which bits of muscle you don't want and which you would like to keep.
Because your body is smart and gets rid of the dead or aged bits and keeps the good stuff..

Reactions: jpscloud

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late evening update
BG (Tee2) 3.8 (Codefree) 4.5
Ketones 3.5
Todays intake
Screenshot 2019-02-28 at 22.38.32.png

Sweet dreams all...especially those still fasting..

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
ALL y’all are Amazing!! This has been fun to watch, and my congratulations go to everybody who started this, no matter how long you lasted.
My puny little “no lunch fast” was in solidarity, and I didn’t even get hugely hungry, which made the afternoon more enjoyable. I am understanding that feeling a few mentioned, of enjoyment of being in control and enjoying the emptiness...

Merrylizard1314

Well, it was not unexpected , but my BP was 208/113 p 64 this morning, BGL was 5.7 at 6.15 am with the Optium Xceed, and 5.4 with the Libre freestyle. So then I had to restore the blood pressure to normal, otherwise I would be in a-fib which would not be pleasant,
This happens because, when fasting my body gets too much adrenaline, norepinephrine and cortisol surging around. My solution is to walk outdoors for several hours, which seems to work, it did, today, and I am now 119/78 p 62. My way works better for me than taking a pill and lying about "resting" Also I make sure to rub magnesium spray on my legs and put some soluble magnesium and potassium in my water.
I will continue the fast until Saturday evening, eat low carb/ Keto until Monday and then continue with @Chook whenever the fast begins next week. I am looking forward to some zucchini fritters and avocado pie tomorrow evening,

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone explain why my ketones before my first meal yesterday were 2.6 yet later in the evening after eating only 10g carbs
It was back down to 0.6? Confused. Thanks

Reactions: jpscloud

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all, I'm feeling ok but not as good as yesterday. A bit more tired and although there are no hunger pangs at the moment I feel a bit hollow, not pleasantly light like yesterday.

FBG 4.8
Weight 258.4

Good luck today everyone!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone explain why my ketones before my first meal yesterday were 2.6 yet later in the evening after eating only 10g carbs
It was back down to 0.6? Confused. Thanks
I have a similar experience - my ketones are low in the morning, peak at around 2 or 3pm and go low again in the evening - they seem to do that whether I'm fasting or not, strangely.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As promised last readings after day 1 of breaking my fast
Yesterday evening after meal ( lamb and mushrooms)
Bg 4.4
Ketones 4.6
This morning
Fbg 4.3
Ketones 3.5
Weight 54.3 - down again 0.1 hope to stabilise today total weight loss 1.6 during fast but 1.7 since last Friday.
Good luck to all those still fasting today

Reactions: Merrylizard1314

Merrylizard1314

@Flora123 your ketones may be lower when glycogen is being broken down, or at the Dawn phenomenon, when endogenous glucose is released, or after a meal with carbs, or when gluconeogenesis is taking place or after strong exercise, when the Glut4 transporters move glucose from the inner muscle. There may be more reasons for lower ketone readings, but they usually increase with more keto compliance, at least this is how I understand it, until I learn more.

Reactions: Flora123

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all

Down another 2 pounds this morning to 201.8 pounds 14 st 5.8 pounds 91.53 kg

FBG (Tee2) 3.5 (Codefree) 4.2
Ketones 3.4

Great nights sleep from 11:30 until 8:00 with only mild disturbance from the snoring dog!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Well, it was not unexpected , but my BP was 208/113 p 64 this morning, BGL was 5.7 at 6.15 am with the Optium Xceed, and 5.4 with the Libre freestyle. So then I had to restore the blood pressure to normal, otherwise I would be in a-fib which would not be pleasant,
This happens because, when fasting my body gets too much adrenaline, norepinephrine and cortisol surging around. My solution is to walk outdoors for several hours, which seems to work, it did, today, and I am now 119/78 p 62. My way works better for me than taking a pill and lying about "resting" Also I make sure to rub magnesium spray on my legs and put some soluble magnesium and potassium in my water.
I will continue the fast until Saturday evening, eat low carb/ Keto until Monday and then continue with @Chook whenever the fast begins next week. I am looking forward to some zucchini fritters and avocado pie tomorrow evening,

I'm going to start my fast on Sunday (to fit in with my husband's Sun-Thurs shifts). Last time I fasted for four days and felt great so this time I'm hoping to fast for five.

I would love company on this fast.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Because your body is smart and gets rid of the dead or aged bits and keeps the good stuff..

If my body is so {expletive} smart then why does it insist on storing all my body fat around my belly and internal organs and messing with my BG control?:banghead:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday
Morning Fasting BG 7.4 , bedtime BG 5.3
Ketone evening 1.5

Thursday
Morning (still fasting) BG 5.9
Ketone morning 0.5
Weight down 1.4 kg

A bit egocentric replying to my own post, but for continuity I did.
I avoided the temptation to eat Scouse and broke my fast at 10:30 am today, Friday 1March, with some full fat Greek yogurt and 4 walnut halves. A total of 64 hours fasting.

Thursday
Evening BG 5.1, bedtime 5.2
Ketone 1.5

Thursday consumed 3 cups black coffee, 2 teaspoons double cream, 3 litres water, 500mls soda water, mug of beef bone broth with a teaspoon of garlic butter, ( a fair substitute for a bowl of scouse with crusty bread and butter)

Friday morning
Still fasting BG 6.3, 2 hours after breakfast 6.2
Ketone 1.5
Weight down by a further 1.2 kg

Slept a full, undisturbed 9 hours. Feel fine, though usual aches and pains are still with me and had slight headache, but feel that is due to allergic reaction and meds for that.
Looking forward to buttery eggs for lunch.
Will monitor and report for next few days.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear about the allergic reaction. Scouse sounds nice, is it a bit like Irish Stew? Fine without the flour and potatoes, but oh dear, I would like bread to mop up some of that gravy if I had it!
Every family has their own recipe. I have adapted ours to make it lower carb by omitting flour to thicken and substituting celeriac to be able to leave out potatoes, adding lots of kale and other greens. It still has a few too many carbs for my plans at the moment, even though I don’t have the bread anymore. The use of beef bone broth as alternative was not so bad, as it had lots of flavour with the addition of pepper salt and garlic. I could get used to using it, but not sure the family would agree.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would love company on this fast
I think it would be too soon for me to start another so soon @Chook , but would be will ing to slip in a 24 hour fast to accompany you part of the way.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all

Down another 2 pounds this morning to 201.8 pounds 14 st 5.8 pounds 91.53 kg

FBG (Tee2) 3.5 (Codefree) 4.2
Ketones 3.4

Great nights sleep from 11:30 until 8:00 with only mild disturbance from the snoring dog!
Wow nearly breaking 200 pound barrier! Well done

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow nearly breaking 200 pound barrier! Well done
So near and yet... I've already got the lamb shoulder in the oven or I'd be considering another day just to see if I can break it but... see what happens tomorrow a.m.!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm still feeling mildly wobbly and a bit brain fogged.
I do wonder if my body is confused because my BG seems to be consistently below 5 which is much lower than I normally run and my ketones are way higher than I have seen before.
Anyway I have a 20+ mile bike ride tomorrow morning and I think it would be unwise to do that in my fasted state because I only have the coffee, cream and butter in the mornings including before rides.
So I am going to end my fast at 17:00 today and come of the wagon with a jump and a Yeeeehaaa!!

Otherwise knows as traditional comfort food because my stomach has started to rebel at the morning coffee so I want something gentle and palatable.

Traditional family soul food. Toasted cheese sandwich (sliced bread out of the freezer) and half a tin of baked beans over the top. Might even have a cheeky little glass of Cava.

We shall see what that does to my overall energy levels.
BG and weight tomorrow morning should be interesting.

As I have been losing 2 lbs a day I think I will try this again after a brief respite. Waist has trimmed up as well.

However I am NOT fasting through the Diabetes UK Insider Conference in Liverpool in a week's time. Far too much to enjoy in a brief foray into decadence.

My numbers are all together in a post near the front of this thread. May quote it at the end when all numbers are in.

Respect to everyone who took part. We must do this again soon. :D