End of February 48 hour group fasting support

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I’m ashamed to say that I caved at 40 hrs. I could probably have gone on to the full 48 hrs but I now have to go out early this evening and it will just get complicated. I decided it was pretty good for my first attempt but it did worry me that I enjoyed the feeling of empty, something that I enjoyed a little too much as a teen!
Anyway very level BG over the 40hrs although a little disappointed they didn’t go under 5.... but then again I tend not to have very low scores, just few spikes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I’m ashamed to say that I caved at 40 hrs. I could probably have gone on to the full 48 hrs but I now have to go out early this evening and it will just get complicated. I decided it was pretty good for my first attempt but it did worry me that I enjoyed the feeling of empty, something that I enjoyed a little too much as a teen!
Anyway very level BG over the 40hrs although a little disappointed they didn’t go under 5.... but then again I tend not to have very low scores, just few spikes.
Nothing to be ashamed of at all.. well done.. which meter do you use?

Reactions: Flora123

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you - good to recognise things about your responses too and be aware of it especially if previous issues. I too had non eating, liking being empty, highly controlled spells when a lot younger and feel that regular small amounts of food now generally helps me not to go overboard hence why I didn’t try a significantly longer fast before when actively needing to lose weight. I enjoyed the sense of control and lightness as a young dieter and as my weight is so low now I would probably stick to shorter managed fasts in future. - missing one or two meals at most and not consecutive days of fasting. This was an experiment for me to see how got on and I found that I did want to carry on beyond the 48 hours I’d planned - which at my current lowish weight wouldn’t be sensible. Important always to make individual decisions not just based on the evidence of generally what works to manage diabetes or your health /weight but also what works and is comfortable for you with your own unique history and how your body and mind reacts.
You’ve done great especially by being able to draw a line under it because you had other plans and not losing too much. I quite like not swinging too high or low bg wise good to maintain at parameters that suit you.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No shame in taking note of what your body is telling you it needs.
Well done on your achievement.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Current readings bg 4.8, ketones 1.1 and still feeling really well. Anyone still with me?
I am. Thought my morning didn't go as planned. Had to curtail my exercise after 20 minutes as I had an allergic reaction to somebody's perfume. Missed the swim, too. Once I had taken rescue remedy felt ok. Returned home and had more coffee, and water.
I had planned 48 hours so fast should end at 6:30 tonight. Considered prolonging it, but aware that I can get obsessed.
My dilemma now is that my first meal was going to be eggs, mushrooms and butter. Then I remembered today is Global Scouse day, and for someone of my heritage it is the law that wherever in the world you happen to be you have to eat a bowl of the stuff. I am wondering if a mug of beef bone broth is an acceptable alternative. Or will I be forever disowned by my fellow patriotic clan?

Merrylizard1314

All these numbers are really an inspiration. I am going to continue this fast until Saturday, in the hope that I can get past this weird thing where, although I eat nothing, and drink only water, the BGL goes up. I rationalise it to myself by saying that if I eat nothing, it must be coming from inside, so it might be a Good Thing after all,
@jpscloud, glad to keep you company, and I hope the breakfasters enjoy their food.
Just off to bed now, at 2am, having been dog walking in the cool night air for an hour.
BGL 5.9 ketones1.8. BP132/69 p58
Enjoy what the day brings

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Afternoon readings
BG (Tee2) 3.8 (Codefree) 4.6
Ketones 3.4
Only tea with lactofree and coffee with cream so far.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am. Thought my morning didn't go as planned. Had to curtail my exercise after 20 minutes as I had an allergic reaction to somebody's perfume. Missed the swim, too. Once I had taken rescue remedy felt ok. Returned home and had more coffee, and water.
I had planned 48 hours so fast should end at 6:30 tonight. Considered prolonging it, but aware that I can get obsessed.
My dilemma now is that my first meal was going to be eggs, mushrooms and butter. Then I remembered today is Global Scouse day, and for someone of my heritage it is the law that wherever in the world you happen to be you have to eat a bowl of the stuff. I am wondering if a mug of beef bone broth is an acceptable alternative. Or will I be forever disowned by my fellow patriotic clan?
Hug for the allergic reaction but winner for your fasting

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
7F6DA61F-D890-4321-9F8D-09A53055D45E.jpeg
Before dinner readings just now - for info I broke my fast at 11ish with a two egg omelette cooked in ghee and with small amount of grated vintage cheddar. Have also had one hotel choc 100% button, three coffees with cream and two teapots full of green tea with mint! Planning lamb, mushrooms and yoghurt with sf jelly in a while
Bgs 3.8
Ketones 4.6
Seem to be keeping some benefits so far will post pre bed readings later to see how progresses

Reactions: Pipp

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Sorry to hear about the allergic reaction. Scouse sounds nice, is it a bit like Irish Stew? Fine without the flour and potatoes, but oh dear, I would like bread to mop up some of that gravy if I had it!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All these numbers are really an inspiration. I am going to continue this fast until Saturday, in the hope that I can get past this weird thing where, although I eat nothing, and drink only water, the BGL goes up. I rationalise it to myself by saying that if I eat nothing, it must be coming from inside, so it might be a Good Thing after all,
@jpscloud, glad to keep you company, and I hope the breakfasters enjoy their food.
Just off to bed now, at 2am, having been dog walking in the cool night air for an hour.
BGL 5.9 ketones1.8. BP132/69 p58
Enjoy what the day brings

Great numbers there @Merrylizard1314! I'm just going til tomorrow night, provided the day goes well tomorrow. If it feels wrong I'll eat something before the evening, but I'm hoping to make it!

I had some rather strong hunger pangs on the way home today, but rode them out and I'm having some hot water with lemon now which is very nice. I think my clever body knows three days are up and is demanding to be fed! Next fast will be five days, Monday to Friday - not next week, but in a couple of weeks, I think. Hope @bulkbiker and maybe you too, and anyone else who wants to, will join me. I'll maybe start a new thread then and see if anyone is up for it with me.

Reactions: bulkbiker

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Global Scouse Day? Nobody told me!
Nice to meet another Scouser (although I did leave when quite young).
I will be up there for the Diabetes Insider Conference soon, so temptation will be placed in my way.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry to hear about the allergic reaction. Scouse sounds nice, is it a bit like Irish Stew? Fine without the flour and potatoes, but oh dear, I would like bread to mop up some of that gravy if I had it!

Tater hash, Lancashire hotpot.....lots of variations on peasant/worker food with cheap scraps of meat and loads of carbs to fill you up for not very much money. Not for me now, unfortunately;y.

Reactions: Pipp

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 31557
Before dinner readings just now - for info I broke my fast at 11ish with a two egg omelette cooked in ghee and with small amount of grated vintage cheddar. Have also had one hotel choc 100% button, three coffees with cream and two teapots full of green tea with mint! Planning lamb, mushrooms and yoghurt with sf jelly in a while
Bgs 3.8
Ketones 4.6
Seem to be keeping some benefits so far will post pre bed readings later to see how progresses

Thanks for the updates @shelley262, I think we should all keep posting if we can, to see what happens to our numbers and weight post-fasting. Last time I only kept one-third of the weight loss, but that was just before half term when I lapsed a bit so I expected to put some back on.

I'm sure some of this time's weight will come back on too, but since starting this lchf and intermittent fasting WOE I'm not afraid of stepping on the scales and seeing a small gain - for the first time ever I have confidence that I have the tools to stop and reverse weight gain.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just to say that I might go from fasting to OMAD (at around 15:00) to ease myself gently back into eating.
Getting towards the end of day 2 and mentally quite sluggish.
I think my body is trying to shut me down.
Glad that I have salted butter in my morning coffee.

Reactions: Emma_369 and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
You are all doing / have done brilliantly. Congratulations to all of you. Some really excellent BGs. Having now read this thread I'm really looking forward to my fast next week. Big hugs to you all.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are all doing / have done brilliantly. Congratulations to all of you. Some really excellent BGs. Having now read this thread I'm really looking forward to my fast next week. Big hugs to you all.

Sorry I didn't synch up with you for that one @Chook, we'll get together on a fast one day!