Diabetic Sweets!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Does anyone have any recommendations for sugar free diabetic friendly sweets or chocolate ?.

I see a huge range on places like Amazon and am just wondering if anyone has tried anything they've enjoyed, particularly in the fruity tasting department eg Lemon Sherbet ?.

I know about Werthers sugar-free but just now and again my taste buds fancy something a little more flavourful.

Thanks

cole_mcjones

Hi, actually, I have the same problem. Looking for diabetic sweets can be so difficult at times. I`ve tried lots of them but still I don`t like their taste. It differs a lot from sugar-containing foods. Maybe someone would recommend something...

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
From what I have googled and viewed, they are all pretty high in carbs per 100 grams and can have a laxative effect too !

https://sweetswithout.co.uk/collections/all
Thank you. I see some advertise themselves as zero net carbs. Interesting.

As for the laxative effect I think I'm not likely to go down the "excessive consumption" route as I'm just after something to stimulate the taste buds....not any other part of my body..lol.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

As for the laxative effect I think I'm not likely to go down the "excessive consumption" route as I'm just after something to stimulate the taste buds....not any other part of my body..lol.
I have the odd boiled sweet, only one every now and then - I found lots of brands didn't touch my blood sugar but made me feel very "off" as in sleepy and lethargic with flu like symptoms - the only ones I use are ricola or sula - but like I say only every now and then :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sometimes sweets will contain polyols, which most people find don't impact their blood sugars (but can have other,.... erm,.... impacts). Those are likely the ones suggesting zero net carbs.

You could look up the ingredients up online, then specifically look up the sweeteners, and see what comes up.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sometimes sweets will contain polyols, which most people find don't impact their blood sugars (but can have other,.... erm,.... impacts). Those are likely the ones suggesting zero net carbs.

You could look up the ingredients up online, then specifically look up the sweeteners, and see what comes up.
See what comes up...or might come out...apparently!.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I have the odd boiled sweet, only one every now and then - I found lots of brands didn't touch my blood sugar but made me feel very "off" as in sleepy and lethargic with flu like symptoms - the only ones I use are ricola or sula - but like I say only every now and then :)

I get exactly the same reaction - I'm glad it's not just me.

I like the Ricola elderflower variety.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I picked up some Sula sweets at our local shop.

Pear Drops taste like the genuine article...almost.

Strawberry and Cream were absolutely nauseating!. Initial taste was fine but then a really strong artificially chemical taste so will avoid those in the future.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is a good thread: I want to eat things like sugar free ricola or extra sugarfree gum sometimes, but I note that the carbs look surprisingly high. Like extra gum, which you dont even swallow, says 1 piece=1g carb. Seems relatively high (I know 1g isn't much, I just mean considering it's sugar free) Does anyone know what it's all about? Are they just high carb, or is indigestible fibre or whatnot being included?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is a good thread: I want to eat things like sugar free ricola or extra sugarfree gum sometimes, but I note that the carbs look surprisingly high. Like extra gum, which you dont even swallow, says 1 piece=1g carb. Seems relatively high (I know 1g isn't much, I just mean considering it's sugar free) Does anyone know what it's all about? Are they just high carb, or is indigestible fibre or whatnot being included?
Look on the ingredients for polyols. They are sweeteners which are carbs so are counted in the carb total. However they aren’t generally absorbed so most people don’t get a spike from them. Net carbs or impact carbs are total carbs minus polyol carbs.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Look on the ingredients for polyols. They are sweeteners which are carbs so are counted in the carb total. However they aren’t generally absorbed so most people don’t get a spike from them. Net carbs or impact carbs are total carbs minus polyol carbs.
That's a good tip, thank you: I thought there must be something like that going on, but didn't want to try them without knowing what was up!

paulandbez

Does anyone have any recommendations for sugar free diabetic friendly sweets or chocolate ?.

I see a huge range on places like Amazon and am just wondering if anyone has tried anything they've enjoyed, particularly in the fruity tasting department eg Lemon Sherbet ?.

I know about Werthers sugar-free but just now and again my taste buds fancy something a little more flavourful.

Thanks

Sula sweets are our favourite. Holland & Barrett are 99p a packet and at the moment it's buy one and get one half price. Sometimes the second packet has been 1p. Bargain.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Now I want some! Added to my shopping list.

7Jules7

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thanks
Hi Patrick, I have just found sainsburys sell Free From Fellows pear drops and rhubarb and custard sweets. They both, in my opinion, taste like the real sweets. Sula humbugs are nice too but harder to get hold of. M&S do a selection of sugar free sweets usually around their checkouts too. It's nice to have them around but they can have a laxative effect if you eat too many.

Reactions: Patrick66

Pandap0p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, actually, I have the same problem. Looking for diabetic sweets can be so difficult at times. I`ve tried lots of them but still I don`t like their taste. It differs a lot from sugar-containing foods. Maybe someone would recommend something...

I found chocolate , dark 90% less sugar. Milk 60% less sugar. Its called CHOCOLOGIC . I buy them in my local supermarket Tesco, morrison does the buttons. 4 squares is the most i have in a day.
15518256320903160474736087725990.jpg
15518258003246004557602362471560.jpg
15518258500964350213550328718552.jpg

Reactions: Patrick66

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes