Feeling a bit down about my levels!

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking for a bit of reassurance I think as got no one to talk to really even though my family try and be supportive. I just feel they don't fully understand.
Anyway I was diagnosed with type 2 7 weeks ago with an Hba1c of 95, take no medication, just diet and exercise and trying hard to be LCHF and up until a week ago I felt I was doing quite well with my levels, seeing 5/6s but since last Friday I've had a rise in my levels. Now I'm getting 6/7 some 8s after meals, (although never a bad spike) and I just don't understand why! First of all I thought it could be due to me being a bit stressed with work, then I thought it was due to me harbouring a bug but I feel OK now. What I'm eating hasn't changed although I've started to use mayo more instead of salad cream. Maybe I'm just over reacting and just need to relax?
I feel scared.of carbs atm though I eat some
Here's what is had yesterday and today with my bg
Yesterday fbg was 6.7
B Bulletproof coffee
Before lunch 6.3
L scrambled egg (made with double cream) 2 sausages (97% meat & very low carb) and a bit of ketchup (no added salt or sugar) 25g of mixed nuts small pack of pork scratchings and 20g of chedder cheese Black tea.
After lunch 7.3
Before dinner 6.5
Turkey satay stir fry with bare naked noodles
Drink of water
After dinner 8.0
Snack SF Jelly with double cream.
Bed 7.2

Today fbg 7.3
B coffee with double cream
Before lunch 6.8
Mackrell salad with lettuce, celery, 4 cherry tomatoes few peppers, radishes, spring onions and mayo
After lunch 7.9
Before dinner 6.9
Steak and chorizo stir fry with barenaked noodles.
Not done the after meal test yet
Where am I going wrong?
Tia.
Eta my bg after dinner tonight is 7.2

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking for a bit of reassurance I think as got no one to talk to really even though my family try and be supportive. I just feel they don't fully understand.
Anyway I was diagnosed with type 2 7 weeks ago with an Hba1c of 95, take no medication, just diet and exercise and trying hard to be LCHF and up until a week ago I felt I was doing quite well with my levels, seeing 5/6s but since last Friday I've had a rise in my levels. Now I'm getting 6/7 some 8s after meals, (although never a bad spike) and I just don't understand why! First of all I thought it could be due to me being a bit stressed with work, then I thought it was due to me harbouring a bug but I feel OK now. What I'm eating hasn't changed although I've started to use mayo more instead of salad cream. Maybe I'm just over reacting and just need to relax?
I feel scared.of carbs atm though I eat some
Here's what is had yesterday and today with my bg
Yesterday fbg was 6.7
B Bulletproof coffee
Before lunch 6.3
L scrambled egg (made with double cream) 2 sausages (97% meat & very low carb) and a bit of ketchup (no added salt or sugar) 25g of mixed nuts small pack of pork scratchings and 20g of chedder cheese Black tea.
After lunch 7.3
Before dinner 6.5
Turkey satay stir fry with bare naked noodles
Drink of water
After dinner 8.0
Snack SF Jelly with double cream.
Bed 7.2

Today fbg 7.3
B coffee with double cream
Before lunch 6.8
Mackrell salad with lettuce, celery, 4 cherry tomatoes few peppers, radishes, spring onions and mayo
After lunch 7.9
Before dinner 6.9
Steak and chorizo stir fry with barenaked noodles.
Not done the after meal test yet
Where am I going wrong?
Tia.
Hi
First things first hbaca1 of 95 no meds just diet and getting readings now mainly in 6s and 7s after 7 weeks ago is doing well. Can see you’d feel disappointed if you initially had lower figures but it does take time. When I first started lCHF my bgs were often in 6s and 7s in early days even when fasting and especially if I exercised. You haven’t mentioned exercise?
Your rises after food are within the parameters aiming for. I think that it takes time and you’re not doing anything obviously wrong at all. Keep going @Starfish18 you will get there if you stick at it im sure. Lots of things cause rises but doesn’t sound like food in your case hugs from me you’re doing great.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
First things first hbaca1 of 95 no meds just diet and getting readings now mainly in 6s and 7s after 7 weeks ago is doing well. Can see you’d feel disappointed if you initially had lower figures but it does take time. When I first started lCHF my bgs were often in 6s and 7s in early days even when fasting and especially if I exercised. You haven’t mentioned exercise?
Your rises after food are within the parameters aiming for. I think that it takes time and you’re not doing anything obviously wrong at all. Keep going @Starfish18 you will get there if you stick at it im sure. Lots of things cause rises but doesn’t sound like food in your case hugs from me you’re doing great.
Thank you for your reply
The only exercise I do atm is walking which I do everyday as I'm a community care worker and I'm a walker when I'm not at work out walking my dogs
I guess I just have to keep going then and be patient

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Starfish18 it sounds like you’re doing great. Just looked back at my own records - didn’t have a meter for the first couple of months, so goodness knows what BG was doing then, but it was a good few months before my averages dropped below 6.

As @shelley262 says your post meal readings are all in range so if you keep going you’ll bring everything down further. It just takes a bit of time.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
It is said many times on here. Its a marathon not a sprint. I could happily eat your diet and I generally go v low carb.

It may be your blood glucose has come down but now your liver is churning it out because it thinks the big numbers of the past are normal and is trying to make up for the lack of glucose in the diet.

Keep doing what your doing and testing of course. Bear in mi d that worrying about high bg will cause high bg.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m with Shelley, after only 7 weeks I think you’re doing just fine. Just one little question, did the slight rise in numbers last Friday coincide with opening a new tub of test strips? When I was using a Code Free (is that what you’re using?) I had a few dodgy tubs which read higher than expected.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Starfish18 it sounds like you’re doing great. Just looked back at my own records - didn’t have a meter for the first couple of months, so goodness knows what BG was doing then, but it was a good few months before my averages dropped below 6.

As @shelley262 says your post meal readings are all in range so if you keep going you’ll bring everything down further. It just takes a bit of time.
Thank you for the reassurance

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is said many times on here. Its a marathon not a sprint. I could happily eat your diet and I generally go v low carb.

It may be your blood glucose has come down but now your liver is churning it out because it thinks the big numbers of the past are normal and is trying to make up for the lack of glucose in the diet.

Keep doing what your doing and testing of course. Bear in mi d that worrying about high bg will cause high bg.
Thank you. That's very reassuring. I will try and stop worrying about my bg

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m with Shelley, after only 7 weeks I think you’re doing just fine. Just one little question, did the slight rise in numbers last Friday coincide with opening a new tub of test strips? When I was using a Code Free (is that what you’re using?) I had a few dodgy tubs which read higher than expected.
Thank you. I'm using the tee2+.
no, unfortunately not, I opened the new test strips on Sunday

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds like your anxiety isn't helping. I agree with all the others. Your post meal rises are all within where they should be, so there is nothing wrong with your food choices. It can take a long time to get those averages down. You just have to keep going and it will happen.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds like your anxiety isn't helping. I agree with all the others. Your post meal rises are all within where they should be, so there is nothing wrong with your food choices. It can take a long time to get those averages down. You just have to keep going and it will happen.
You're probably right about my anxiety. I think I need to try and relax and keep on going. Thank you for your reply

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Starfish18. I totally understand your anxiety/frustration. Don’t worry too much. Every month or so I panic as my levels rise but keeping a log I realise there is a pattern. It is either hormonal or too much protein. It also rises when the MIL is around!! Everything seems to affect BG but you need to chill a bit (listening to my own words here!!) as unless it is long term, it will probably return to a lower reading. If it makes you feel better, my Hba1c since last year has been 36. This week I’m a steady 7.5-9.4!! . It will pass and I’m sure it’s hormonal if which I have no control over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Starfish18

Rosie B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We were diagnosed around the same time. However I'm taking 1000 mg Metformin an & pm.
My HbA1c was 82.
So the fact you are doing this diet alone is awesome. My Blood sugars are anything from 4.7 to 7.2. Depending on food etc. Is there any reason why you didn't use meds to begin with?? Just interested. I really didn't get given an option. My Dr was Very insistent. Keep on going. You're doing a really incredible job. I too am following low carb and healthy fats were possible. It's definitely a long slow race.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Starfish18. I totally understand your anxiety/frustration. Don’t worry too much. Every month or so I panic as my levels rise but keeping a log I realise there is a pattern. It is either hormonal or too much protein. It also rises when the MIL is around!! Everything seems to affect BG but you need to chill a bit (listening to my own words here!!) as unless it is long term, it will probably return to a lower reading. If it makes you feel better, my Hba1c since last year has been 36 but this week I’m a steady 7.5-9.4!! . It will pass and I’m sure it’s hormonal.
Hello, thanks for your reply. I will learn what affects my bg (practically everything ) I keep a log too which I'm finding very helpful
Well done on getting your Hba1c down to 36 that's fantastic. Bless ya. Hope your levels return to normal soon

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We were diagnosed around the same time. However I'm taking 1000 mg Metformin an & pm.
My HbA1c was 82.
So the fact you are doing this diet alone is awesome. My Blood sugars are anything from 4.7 to 7.2. Depending on food etc. Is there any reason why you didn't use meds to begin with?? Just interested. I really didn't get given an option. My Dr was Very insistent. Keep on going. You're doing a really incredible job. I too am following low carb and healthy fats were possible. It's definitely a long slow race.
Hi Rosie B, thank you. I had a choice whether to go straight on to meds or try and get my Hba1c down myself with diet and exercise. so I chose the diet and exercise route. I was quite scared as I wasn't sure if I could do it alone (was told it would be hard work)but from joining this forum I had some idea what I needed to do (LCHF) the nurse told me I only needed to cut out sugar, no mention of carbs whatsoever!
I had an idea I was diabetic even before diagnosis even though at first I was in denial and just kept eating what I used to eat until I was diagnosed then I just went Lchf straight away though I made some mistakes but with the help of this forum I learned and I'm learning all the time now. My mission (even before dianoses) is to put my diabetes into remission, even though I've learned that can take a while
I often wonder what my levels would be if I was on medication so it's interesting to see how well you're doing with you being on meds. My lowest reading has been 4.8, which was a shock lol. I've only had a 4 once though.
I don't know much about metformin but I know it's one of the mild meds that doesn't do a lot to help so you still have a lot of hard work to do so it sounds like you're doing really well too. Keep going hopefully one day you'll be able to stop taking it, if thats something you'd be interested in. When is your next Hba1c review?