I’m new (ish)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A breakfast of cereals always used to leave me hungry again within an hour or two. Have something more substantial which also hasn’t the benefit of being lower carb. Eggs, bacon, high meat sausages, last nights left overs (doesn’t have to be traditional real fast food), full fat Greek yogurt and berries and nuts, cold meats and cheeses continental style

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK. Your morning reading might be affected by something called the Dawn Phenomenom. The liver kindly dumps it's stuff to get us going in the morning. Don't worry about that at the moment.

Concentrate on your meals. Take a reading before you start to eat and then another reading 2 hours after the first bite. If the difference is over 2.0, then your portion was either too large or too carby. Keep a food diary along with the readings so that you can keep tabs on what is going on.

Download the mySugr app. Record your food and readings on that. It is free. After a few days it will give you an estimated HbA1c reading. I found it highly motivating. It has an annoying sound which can be turned off in settings!

Once you are on low carb (I actually went keto which is more radical than low carb, but I was starting with a huge number) you should find that the weight starts to drop off.

Whilst you are transitioning to smaller sizes, check charity shops and ebay for bargains that won't break the bank.

If I can do this, anybody can!

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
@LeiLei I can only echo what others have said really, it got my blood sugars down to borderline diabetic or in the eyes of the NHS remission levels within just a few months so trust me when I say they know what they are doing. Fasting levels always take the longest to come down, especially with how much glucose is usually pottering around inside us before we start low carbing so just take it slow and make sure your meter is your best friend. We'll support you where we can, cheering you on here!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
all good advice above. @LeiLei

if it was me and i had time...
some sort of cooked breakfast poached eggs, bacon, mushroom.

if times short..greek yoghurt and a few berries.
powers me up and i'm good to go for around 4 hours+

I did find sandwiches to be an annoying issue as in the bread spikes me..

took me a while to get used to skipping the bread and simply placing some cheese on top of a slice of ham,
and rolling that up..yep, that's my sandwich now.
nice and tasty, filling and far fewer carbs..WIN /WIN.

Many ways around this.
simplest is to stock fridge and prep lunch the night before,
that way if you do snack..it's nice and healthy..if not you get a cheap lunch.:D

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you that’s what I’m going to try gradually going low carb as currently I eat mostly bread, pasta, cereals throughout the day, and had been told bananas are a good snack so I have one every day! I’m about 4 stone overweight been going up each year so really need to lose weight. I am taking it all on board from everyone on here about the low carb diet, but might take a while to get used to, thank you
I come from farming stock and what you are eating is exactly the diet to fatten up animals as quickly as possible - to be slender and active protein and fats are the things to eat.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@LeiLei just checking - your hba1c was 39 and you have not been diagnosed as diabetic, is that right?

LeiLei

Morning thank you all for your advice and motivation! Great ideas for breakfast, I’m used to eating cereal for breakfast, a sandwich for dinner and a main meal for my tea, so I will try different things and switch it around. This morning it’s 6.7 before breakfast, haven’t had it yet.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I experience symptoms of hypos regularly,

This is why you need to test. When you experience these symptoms, weakness, shakiness etc. test yourself. You may be low, but you may not be as low as you imagine. It would be good if you knew, so do test at these times.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only thing I would say LeiLei is the FBG reading should be done the minute you step out of bed and washing your hands. You should test again immediately before the first mouthful of breakfast and again 2 hours after that. Dont assume your FBG is going to stay the same if there is a time delay between gettingup and eating.
I am rather intrigued by the huge difference between 1 and 2 hours after the crunch nut cereal. I have always tested 2 hours after starting eating so would have missed that big spike. I suppose if you steer clear of rice, potatoes, bread, pasta and cereals then 2 hrs is fine. All best wishes to you.

LeiLei

This is why you need to test. When you experience these symptoms, weakness, shakiness etc. test yourself. You may be low, but you may not be as low as you imagine. It would be good if you knew, so do test at these times.
Thanks yes I will test when I feel like that, will take the monitor to work with me just in case. I seem to remember when I felt like that during pregnancy, then again after birth, tested and the readings were in the 4’s. But will definitely test again to see.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

LeiLei

The only thing I would say LeiLei is the FBG reading should be done the minute you step out of bed and washing your hands. You should test again immediately before the first mouthful of breakfast and again 2 hours after that. Dont assume your FBG is going to stay the same if there is a time delay between gettingup and eating.
I am rather intrigued by the huge difference between 1 and 2 hours after the crunch nut cereal. I have always tested 2 hours after starting eating so would have missed that big spike. I suppose if you steer clear of rice, potatoes, bread, pasta and cereals then 2 hrs is fine. All best wishes to you.
Thank you, yes the 6.1 and 6.7 were straight after I got out of bed, about 7.30am. But thanks for the advice, I will test before breakfast too if there’s a bit of a delay with eating. Yes it’s interesting the difference in the numbers at 1 and 2 hours after my crunchy nut cereal. Best wishes to you too