What is happening?!

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did the end of Feb fast but stopped at 40 hrs. My readings were great all the way through and ketones getting higher. Anyway after I stopped fasting my readings have been much much higher despite eating the same food as usual. I’ve put on 4lbs (didn’t really lose any fasting and don’t need to lose weight)! This has been going on for a while and steadily getting worse. I thought it was my cycle causing it but that’s over.

I decided to try another fast and started yesterday. I’ve done 20 hrs but my readings today are all well into the 8s. Hit 9.1 after light exercise in the gym and an hour after that I’m 9.3 despite fasting for 20hrs. Ketones only 0.8 Getting worried. Any suggestions? My body seems to have gone a bit strange. Thanks

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Flora123

Sorry to hear this. Not sure I can suggest anything helpful but wanted to offer some sympathetic thoughts. All I can think is perhaps you’re coming down with a virus or something, which might explain the higher readings.

If this continues would suggest a trip to the docs to get yourself checked out.

Hope you find the solution.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the end of Feb fast but stopped at 40 hrs. My readings were great all the way through and ketones getting higher. Anyway after I stopped fasting my readings have been much much higher despite eating the same food as usual. I’ve put on 4lbs (didn’t really lose any fasting and don’t need to lose weight)! This has been going on for a while and steadily getting worse. I thought it was my cycle causing it but that’s over.

I decided to try another fast and started yesterday. I’ve done 20 hrs but my readings today are all well into the 8s. Hit 9.1 after light exercise in the gym and an hour after that I’m 9.3 despite fasting for 20hrs. Ketones only 0.8 Getting worried. Any suggestions? My body seems to have gone a bit strange. Thanks
When you say the same food as usual... what's that exactly.. I wonder if the fast has made you a bit carb intolerant so when you start back on them its causing a more extreme reaction than usual?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Poor you @Flora123 sending you hugs.
I think fasting is quite a powerful tool and often lowers bgs but I think stress of fasting can also put up bgs too - cortisol? I’m really not sure as @Goonergal says it could be a virus brewing? Also agree good idea to get checked by dr if you are concerned.
I’ve found since fasting I’ve put back on the weight I lost but I was like you not wanting to lose so my body was clearly unhappy with loss however I’ve been hungry and eating more as a consequence. I’m now settling again hope you get it sorted and/or it settles soon.
Have you been hydrating enough and taking some salt?
@bulkbiker any ideas? Sorry just saw your response x

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you say the same food as usual... what's that exactly.. I wonder if the fast has made you a bit carb intolerant so when you start back on them its causing a more extreme reaction than usual?

My usual which I’ve been eating for months now is two eggs for breakfast, chicken and avocado salad for lunch with mayo, sometimes have a low carb jelly and cream, dinner is meat and green veg. Snack on nuts, cheese or cold meat. Glass of wine or g&t. I generally keep to 20g roughly a day.

I do feel hungrier than before which I didn’t have a month or so ago. The weight increase is strange. It’s been slow but unlike me.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Poor you @Flora123 sending you hugs.
I think fasting is quite a powerful tool and often lowers bgs but I think stress of fasting can also put up bgs too - cortisol? I’m really not sure as @Goonergal says it could be a virus brewing? Also agree good idea to get checked by dr if you are concerned.
I’ve found since fasting I’ve put back on the weight I lost but I was like you not wanting to lose so my body was clearly unhappy with loss however I’ve been hungry and eating more as a consequence. I’m now settling again hope you get it sorted and/or it settles soon.
Have you been hydrating enough and taking some salt?
@bulkbiker any ideas? Sorry just saw your response x

How long did it take you to settle back to normal after the fast?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How long did it take you to settle back to normal after the fast?
Hi I’m only just settling back and tbh don’t plan to fast longer than 23hrs in future whilst at my low weight - I don’t feel my body likes it although my bgs have stayed low thankfully it’s just been feelings of hunger and not being happy anymore missing meals! I fasted so much more easily when bigger and had my body fat to run on!

Reactions: Flora123

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hugs, @Flora123. This must be truly frustrating. Not sure I can help.

I remember that @Bluetit1802 once mentioned that increasing carbs/protein slightly for a while helped her blood sugar levels. This is really the only thing I can think of that might help. Other than this, I would go with @Goonergal's and @shelley262's advice to see your GP if concerned.

M

Member496333

Glass of wine or g&t.

Apologies if I’m unwittingly insulting your intelligence but I presume you mean diet or slimline tonic water? The regular stuff is full of sugar. I’m sure you already know this but either way, the raised fasting numbers indicate a still measurable level of insulin resistance both in the liver and in the body as a whole.

It will seem counterproductive to your predicament but further fasting will help the liver to continue burning of its hepatic fat stores. As @bulkbiker correctly alluded to, physiological insulin resistance brought about by the fasting may also be a temporary and aggravating factor in addition to all of the above.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apologies if I’m unwittingly insulting your intelligence but I presume you mean diet or slimline tonic water? The regular stuff is full of sugar. I’m sure you already know this but either way, the raised fasting numbers indicate a still measurable level of insulin resistance both in the liver and in the body as a whole.

It will seem counterproductive to your predicament but further fasting will help the liver to continue burning of its hepatic fat stores. As @bulkbiker correctly alluded to, physiological insulin resistance brought about by the fasting may also be a temporary and aggravating factor in addition to all of the above.

Yes definitely low cal tonic!! The wine is very low carb too. Thanks Jim

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. I was 9.3 before I ate and 6.5 after! Very strange. Hopefully it will sort itself out

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I’m only just settling back and tbh don’t plan to fast longer than 23hrs in future whilst at my low weight - I don’t feel my body likes it although my bgs have stayed low thankfully it’s just been feelings of hunger and not being happy anymore missing meals! I fasted so much more easily when bigger and had my body fat to run on!
Totally agree @shelley262! I still have a lot to lose and find fasting GENERALLY easy - not always though.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. I was 9.3 before I ate and 6.5 after! Very strange. Hopefully it will sort itself out

I'll just pitch in with one of my hobby horses.

Have you just started using a new batch of test strips at all? Sometimes there can be a bit of variance in batches.

Just a thought.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll just pitch in with one of my hobby horses.

Have you just started using a new batch of test strips at all? Sometimes there can be a bit of variance in batches.

Just a thought.

Thanks. I’d though ofthat but not a new batch. I double checked on my other meter and it was similar, although slightly lower. Fingers crossed whatever it is runs its course

Last edited: