Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

nickziggy

Hi,

I Just wanted to introduce myself to you all.

I am very new to Diabetes. I am used to illness but diabetes was a shock and I am having problems controlling it. I have read lots and found a lot of varied and contradictionary advice. I am 52 and lived most of my life in Suffolk. Born in Ipswich. I have lived last 13 years in Ireland. I have 2 adult boys 24 and 18.

I already have a number of illness's listed below.

1. Have a heart condition. Had 99% blockage. Had angio and was Stented. Had another angio abt 2 years later. Stenting 2007.
2. Heamachromatosis. I was diagnosed. ( genetic test ) in 2006. I have regular venesection at Roscommon hospital to keep iron serum level below 40.
3. I recently had a Pulmonary Embolism which was found around June 20th. Am on blood thinners to break clot down.
4. Severe Asthma with only 13 % lower lung function. I can only walk about 50m before becoming breathless.
5. Severe Osteoarthritis in both knees. Have been told by consultant that only thing they can do is replace them, for which I am far too young. Also spurs on both shoulder joints.
6. I have type 2 diabetes which did not respond to diet change. I am on 2 drugs orally and 1 injection.
7. I have had DPD Depersonalisation and derealisation since age 14. This led to many misdiagnosed. Have tried suicide twice. Ended up on life support. DPD will never stop. I am also being treated for severe depression and anxiety also Bi Polar and Borderline Personality.
8. I have COPD which causes me to have bronchitis, which comes and goes.
9.Carpel Tunnel nerve damage in both wrists, outer two fingers left and right hands numb/pins needles. Left worse than right.

I did not write the above for pity, just to let you know of the issues I am dealing with. I am very very lucky that the above were found and am dealing with them.

Diabetes is very new to me so I am learning.

I am a game designer by profession which I love. I have slowed down somewhat since illness's.

Cheers Shaun

I'm so happy that you're still here to talk to us. It's a wonder that you are still here.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mushrooms, books
What is your name?
rosie
- How old are you?
- Are you male or female?
female
- Which country are you from?
England
- Which city/area do you live in?
Oxfordshire
- Are you religious?
no
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
funny, friendly, kind
- Do you have any pets?
1 cat called Timmy and a dog called Bella
- Microsoft or Apple?
APPLE!!!
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
i don't like sports
- Do you get angry easily?
very
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
none
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
Ariana Grande
Ava max
George Ezra
Adele
Jess Glyne
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
Pop
- What is your favourite flag?
British
- Ever gone camping?
yes, hated it
- Ever been in love?
nope
- Ever used fake tan?
nope
- Which countries have you visited?
america, canada, france, st. lucia, scotland
- Favourite city?
London
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
suits
friends
greys anatomy
how i met your mother
big bang theory
- List your five favourite films.
the greatest showman
about time
frozen
Isn't it romantic?
oceans 8
- Are you wealthy?
nope
- Do you work? If so, as what?
i go to school
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
english, maths, rs, bio, chem, physics, textiles, history, phsycology
- What do you like most about yourself?
i try my best at everything
- What do you like least about yourself?
i hold grudges

magz62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Driving, crowds, heights
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name?
Maggie

- How old are you?
21+

Female

Born in Mauritius,
Lived in Wiltshire England since 1972

Moved to Rhoose South Wales in 2015

- Are you religious?
I'm a cristian and believe in God

Honest, caring, Perfectionist

- Do you have any pets?
Yes 2 dogs Marley & Roxy

- Microsoft or Apple?
Both

Played volleyball in my younger days. Not a fan of sports now

No. But don't hurt my family, people I care a lot about

Ear piercing

Queen, REM, B Gees, Elton John. Abba, love with George Ezra

I listen to all type of music, inc a bit of R&B some classicaldepending on my moods

Not really thought about it!

- Ever gone camping?
Nope. Like my creature comfort too much

- Ever been in love?
Yep still is with my husband of nearly 40 years. My daughter of 30 years
and most recentlly my gorgeous grand-daughter Millie 18months old

- Ever used fake tan?
. Got real one all year round!!

Too many in my dreams!

- Favourite city?
Don't like cities

Soaps, masterchef, Dragons Den.The apprentice, Dancing on ice & lots more

Lion king, Dirty Dancing, Ghost, Sister Act, Grease & many more

- Are you wealthy?
Haha I wish! but very wealthy in love

Retired Registered Nurse

English, French,Maths, IT, Medicine and lots of boring stuff

My life

My physical appearance

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care!"

Have fun!

CJHart

This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- What is your name? Carol
- How old are you? 66
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which country are you from? New Zealand
- Which city/area do you live in? Tauranga, Bay of Plenty
- Are you religious? No, I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ but it's not a religion.
- Pick three words to describe your personality. bubbly, talkative and energising
- Do you have any pets? no
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Wii Fit & Wii Sport
- Do you get angry easily? No
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. None
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Classical
- What is your favourite flag? I don't have a favourite
- Ever gone camping? Yes, but it's not for me.
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? Yes, but hated it.
- Which countries have you visited? Scotland, England, New Zealand Australia & Singapore
- Favourite city? I don't have a favourite city, I like most.
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Suits, Sue Thomas Private Eye, Marcella, The Good Wife, who wants to be a millionaire
- List your five favourite films Ghost, The Sound of Music, Sister Act, Summer Holiday,
- Are you wealthy? Not in Money terms but rich in other ways
- Do you work? If so, as what? I am retired but have lots of hobbies & work as a volunteer in an opportunity shop
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Book-keeping, English, Art, cooking, sewing
- What do you like most about yourself? My sense of humour & adventure
- What do you like least about yourself? Apart from diabetes, I'm exactly as God made me to be.

Have fun!

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
b0mAbWW.jpg

- What is your name?

Karl or Caeseji is fine.

- How old are you?

29 years old, going on 30

Male

England

Hull in East Yorkshire

- Are you religious?
Got some Buddhist leanings but mostly agnostic

Loyal, vivacious, creative

- Do you have any pets?
No but want a cat

- Microsoft or Apple?
Apple for work, Microsoft for play

Used to like rugby in the day, more into weight training now

Not so much anymore

Pierced ear but don't put anything in it anymore

WHY DO I HAVE TO BE PUT ON THE SPOT LIKE THIS?! Muse, Garbage, Nero, The Prodigy, Paramore

What isn't my favourite genre is easier

Rainbow all the way

- Ever gone camping?
Yep! Went to a Christian camp when I was younger and ended up with the worst aches and pains a 13 year old could get

- Ever been in love?
I thought so but now I am not so sure, more in love with my friends and family

- Ever used fake tan?
Once on a dare, I looked like a truffle

Not really been outside of the UK, been to Jersey and the Isle of Wight however!

- Favourite city?
Tough... It's between Osaka and Monaco

Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Batman the Animated Series, 24 and Castlevania

Blade Runner, Avengers Infinity War, Wonder Woman, Transformers The Movie, Star Wars (Yes all of them)

- Are you wealthy?
Not in the slightest but emotional? Yes and perhaps virtually in the games I play...

I do now! Graphics Designer and IT manager for Hull City Ladies FC

Psychology (Business and Criminal), IT and Graphics Design

My creative and adaptable nature

Want a list? Hah! I guess my tendency to never forgive myself

Rbaker2498

- What is your name? Bob
- How old are you? Vintage (74)
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which country are you from? USA
- Which city/area do you live in? Alabama
- Are you religious? Yes
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Logical - mbti - ESTJ
- Do you have any pets? Golden Retriever
- Microsoft or Apple? Both
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? College Football
- Do you get angry easily? No
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Country; Gospel
- What is your favourite flag? NA
- Ever gone camping? Yes, long ago
- Ever been in love?Yes, married 54 years
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? Numerous
- Favourite city? Chattanooga, TN - grandchildren
- List your five favourite TV programs. Games of Thrones, Gunsmoke, old Western
- List your five favourite films. Star Wars
- Are you wealthy? No
- Do you work? If so, as what? Retired
- List the subjects you study/have studied. BS Engineering; Master Management
- What do you like most about yourself? Being retired
- What do you like least about yourself? Health Issues

Have fun!
It’s not what you know, it is about what you think of in time.

anproc

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi not sure if anyone can shed any light for me but my husband had laser treatment (two sessions) about 5 weeks ago, he is still seeing a lot of blood and blurred vision (eye sight was perfect before treatment) it seemed like it was starting to clear then theres a lot again tonight. He has been back a few times to see his consultant who doesn't seem to really be bothered about it but its starting to get a bit worrying. How long have people experienced bleeding after the laser treatment he keeps getting told it just needs to settle down but its really effecting his vision and day to day life. I keep looking on google but I cant seem to find anywhere that says that this is normal or should be happening after treatment.

Sam Khan

Hi I’m Sam, I’m from West Yorkshire and am 34 years old, I was diagnosed years ago when I just turned 5. I don’t remember life without Diabetes but even now I sometimes feel overwhelmed with everything. I’m a working mum with a young family and sometimes feel completely lost and then totally in control other times. Iv just found out I’m also have Celiacs so now starting to search for another way to manage. Sorry I’m going on a bit but this is the first time in all these years Iv come on here. I guess I’m just looking to chat and share what I’m living with daily.

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I’m Sam, I’m from West Yorkshire and am 34 years old, I was diagnosed years ago when I just turned 5. I don’t remember life without Diabetes but even now I sometimes feel overwhelmed with everything. I’m a working mum with a young family and sometimes feel completely lost and then totally in control other times. Iv just found out I’m also have Celiacs so now starting to search for another way to manage. Sorry I’m going on a bit but this is the first time in all these years Iv come on here. I guess I’m just looking to chat and share what I’m living with daily.

Oh love ... we all feel overwhelmed at times and don’t have your added problems keep smiling!

Reactions: Sam Khan

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Busy towns and cities, heavy traffic, noisy people, rubbishy televison or radio shows, rap music.
Hi Sam, go ahead and talk, put down your thoughts and worries, I for one will respond, I have a daughter not much younger than you, and she has her problems too, my younger son has Chrons Disease and my wife is in remission from cancer, it helps to talk lass, I am a good listener, and am not looking to take advantage in any way, nearly old enough to be your grand dad, lots of life experience and also with six sisters, "I know my place in the world", there will be others on here who will also reply in a good way too, so feel free to talk, you don`t have to be or feel isolated.

Reactions: Sam Khan

toonlad66

Hi I’m Ian, was diagnosed a month ago with type 2,
I’m having a hard time trying to figure out what I should be eating if I don’t want to lose weight as I’m naturally slim.
Any help would be great thanks .
Ps.. this is my 1st post so forgive me if I’ve got it wrong or posted it in the wrong place

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Busy towns and cities, heavy traffic, noisy people, rubbishy televison or radio shows, rap music.
Hi I’m Ian, was diagnosed a month ago with type 2,
I’m having a hard time trying to figure out what I should be eating if I don’t want to lose weight as I’m naturally slim.
Any help would be great thanks .
Ps.. this is my 1st post so forgive me if I’ve got it wrong or posted it in the wrong place
emoji846.png
Hi Ian, welcome, you are in the right place, nothing to forgive, have a look at the Diet Doctor site for information on the various foods for diabetics, and what they hold in the way of carbohydrates, basically what to avoid and not to take too much of, whats good, and whats bad, also meter yourself regularly, do not be told by anyone not to test yourself, it is vitally important that you know what various foods do to your blood glucose levels.
Ideally initially until you are confident in your food habits, do a test before a meal pre food level, then 1 hour after the meal which will show your sugar spike, the rise that the food has given your blood glucose, then 2 hours after the meal to see how your body has coped with the glucose produced by the meal, ideally the first pre meal reading and the last 2 hour reading should come down to 2 mmol of each other, for example first reading 5.5 last post meal reading at 2 hours 7.4, then you are on the right track.
The spike in the middle at 1 hour should be aimed to hopefully be around the 8.4 mmol, that will come in time with greater understanding of what you eat, and greater control personally against all the temptations around, have a good look around the forums, ask any questions you like, and I know you will get lots of help, and once again welcome to the community:)

Reactions: toonlad66

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you guys, it’s lovely to have some response. Some days are good and some are not too good but that’s life I suppose.
Hi Once again Sam, anytime you need to talk, or get a bit of support, you know where we are.:)

Viv19

Hi, I’m a Brit living in Germany, 70 yrs old. I’ve been pre-diabetic for the past 5 years. Having decided to diet so that I can ditch the hated Metformin I went to my GP to have a blood test done, and discovered that my levels have gone up and I’ve slid over the boundary into diabetes.
So far I’ve lost 4 kg having cut out bread, pasta, rice, alcohol etc. it seems to be working but very very slowly. I now have a magic tester that has really opened my eyes to how quickly my blood sugar can rise.
Anyway, I’m trying to improve my fitness levels- I go to the gym twice a week anyway, but realised today that even a fast 1/2 hr walk has amazing results. I still have 6 kilos to go to get my BMI to the right number, and then probably more to shed after that before hopefully I can lose the Metformin.
This forum is really interesting, great information here. I definitely have some catch up reading to do now.

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi, I’m a Brit living in Germany, 70 yrs old. I’ve been pre-diabetic for the past 5 years. Having decided to diet so that I can ditch the hated Metformin I went to my GP to have a blood test done, and discovered that my levels have gone up and I’ve slid over the boundary into diabetes.
So far I’ve lost 4 kg having cut out bread, pasta, rice, alcohol etc. it seems to be working but very very slowly. I now have a magic tester that has really opened my eyes to how quickly my blood sugar can rise.
Anyway, I’m trying to improve my fitness levels- I go to the gym twice a week anyway, but realised today that even a fast 1/2 hr walk has amazing results. I still have 6 kilos to go to get my BMI to the right number, and then probably more to shed after that before hopefully I can lose the Metformin.
This forum is really interesting, great information here. I definitely have some catch up reading to do now.
Hi Viv, and welcome, you will find lots of useful info and helpful people on here, you appear to have the right mind state to beat the beast, any encouragement you need is just sitting here waiting, well done to you.:D

Reactions: Viv19

macbanana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi good to meet you all, my name is Michael I am 62 years of age and have diabetes type 2 I live most of my time on the west coast of Ireland I never really took much notice of my diabetes but I am lately having some problems ie cataracts and numbness in my fingers which I guess could be attributed to diabetes type 2 or though my blood readings are 45 which isn't bad I guess. I hope to get some more knowledge about my condition and maybe some information about dieting I am currently about 5 stone overweight. I enjoy browsing the internet art walking the dog collectables music mainly folk .I play a bit of guitar tin whistle and would like to sing if I had the chance .I am not really religious but have been interested in Buddhism for some time.

Reactions: Ani_me

Viv19

Hi Viv, and welcome, you will find lots of useful info and helpful people on here, you appear to have the right mind state to beat the beast, any encouragement you need is just sitting here waiting, well done to you.:D

Thanks Groundgripper.
I’ve been reminded what a great med Metformin is. My problem is with side effects, as it makes my existing stomach problem worse plus I have nausea from time to time.
So the solution seemed to be to try to lose enough weight to beat the beast as you say.
Also my mother had diabetes, the worst aspect of her ill health in her 80s she said being the loss of her sight: one eye went blind overnight and the other went slowly blind, apparently down to macular degeneration. I imagine the diabetes may have played a part in that too. Since that also happened to her older sister and her mother, I have some strong motivation to change things now.
Good results on the scales this morning- I must keep up the walking!

Reactions: Groundgripper