Type 1'stars R Us

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have just been to "The Range" and bought a small plastic container but I am not sure how much longer it will extend their life expectancy. Has anyone done any deep research into the expected life span of a JB?

The girls in the Finance Office say that once the packet is open the life expectancy of a Jelly Baby is about 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the size of the bag!

I don't think that they are taking this seriously!

Haha that made me laugh WAY too much.....
I had a few in my 10 pin bowling bag wrapped in cling film for a few weeks, had a hypo while bowling 1 night and went to my trusty JB stash only to find the were like rocks!!! It will be interesting to see the reults of your upcoming research into JB longevity :)

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was going too suggest something along the lines of what those girls said :)

My jelly babies last for months. Maynards Bassetts ones, other brands are inferior IMO. The ones I've put in the little sealable bags so I don't have a big bag lying around open are doing ok. I'd leave them in their original packaging till it's time to decant another set.

On a drive back from Rome in summer in a car with no air conditioning, the bag on the centre console did melt into a big lump. But the individual bits torn from that were still ok.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
music it is although id better not start singing as son is in bed and i sound like a strangled cat when i sing .....believe it or not i used to be in the school choir singing solos then pop it all went west :playful::playful:

So you could of been one of the 'West End Girls' ;):)

Reactions: karen8967

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Capt-Slog given how a bag of jelly babies melts in hot weather, have you tried warming one of the hardened babies in a microwave to see if texture improves? I am not suggesting this as a hyping to do while hypo - I would experiment myself but have no rock solid babies to hand.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good afternoon from a very sunny but blowy Hampshire, a day at home today, still in my jim jams lol

I love the golden oldie films and tonight on Talking picture's @ 6.40pm, The Blue Lamp' what a great film with the wonderful Jack Warner and Dirk Bogarde, a classic :joyful: @karen8967

Reactions: hh1 and karen8967

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good afternoon from a very sunny but blowy Hampshire, a day at home today, still in my jim jams lol

I love the golden oldie films and tonight on Talking picture's @ 6.40pm, The Blue Lamp' what a great film with the wonderful Jack Warner and Dirk Bogarde, a classic :joyful: @karen8967
My 2 fave golden oldies are rebecca and a picture of dorian grey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My 2 fave golden oldies are rebecca and a picture of dorian grey

I too like Rebecca too, I love most of the golden oldie films. The 39 steps, War film's, Westerns, Alfred Hitchcock too. A Matter of Life and Death, Genevieve, The Ghost and Mrs Muir, Gene Tierney was a great actress and a beautiful one too, she was great in Leave her to Heaven and Laura.
Have you ever watched All about Eve with Bette Davis, a truly fantastic film. Blithe Spirit, Howard's End, Brighton Rock, with Richard Attenborough, there are so many wonderful classic's, I would be here all day with severe writer's cramp if I listed them all :happy::joyful:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too like Rebecca too, I love most of the golden oldie films. The 39 steps, War film's, Westerns, Alfred Hitchcock too. A Matter of Life and Death, Genevieve, The Ghost and Mrs Muir, Gene Tierney was a great actress and a beautiful one too, she was great in Leave her to Heaven and Laura.
Have you ever watched All about Eve with Bette Davis, a truly fantastic film. Blithe Spirit, Howard's End, Brighton Rock, with Richard Attenborough, there are so many wonderful classic's, I would be here all day with severe writer's cramp if I listed them all :happy::joyful:
I have seen all about eve you cant beat the oldies not like half the rubbish they churn out these days

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
@Capt-Slog given how a bag of jelly babies melts in hot weather, have you tried warming one of the hardened babies in a microwave to see if texture improves? I am not suggesting this as a hyping to do while hypo - I would experiment myself but have no rock solid babies to hand.

I shall Microwave a few tonight. I think i shall take my safety glasses home from work.

Reactions: porl69 and Diakat

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Capt-Slog I keep small numbers of JBs in snack size ziplock bags. As long as you get the air out and zip them up properly they can last several weeks before they go hard. I'm never tempted to eat them, I only use them because I think they're a bit more palatable than glucose tabs - old ones of those really can break your teeth!

My hanging on for an hour yesterday to query yet abother delayed podiatry appointment resulted in me getting an appointment only a day later than scheduled, I think helped by me explaining I have T1, have had 2 surgeries and a resultant ulcer (why do podiatrists call almost every foot injury/wound an ulcer even when it isn't really?)

Reactions: porl69

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
"Just go about your normal day." blithely said the nurse as she attached the arm cuff, tubing and machine to me. "Oh, and sit down quietly when the machine takes readings."

I did obey instructions to stay in the classroom as far as possible, but, clearly, whoever thinks my normal day is going to include the opportunity to "sit down quietly" every half an hour, on the 06 and 36 minutes past the hour has never met my students. I was trying to print out extra worksheets at 13.06 to a recalcitrant printer with an occasional "You've double-sided the wrong pages!" wail coming back to me from the vicinity of the printer, chasing one of the more fleet of foot back into the room at 14.06, (and 12.06, if I recall correctly - that also involved a stern word or 20 about the iniquities of not obeying the "Back in 5 minutes" instruction) dealing with a meltdown about a misunderstanding about the work at 14.36....

Plus, I've left my backpack at work because The Machine and The Backpack were not happy with the other being there.

I am going to sit quietly for the rest of the evening now. I fear not a lot of sleep is going to be happening.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
they're a bit more palatable than glucose tabs - old ones of those really can break your teeth!

Waste not, want not - if you're in a restaurant with a shoogly table, jamming a fossilised dextrotab under the uneven leg sorts it out....

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone seems to eat jelly babies as a quick glucose shot. I use jelly beans which seem to do the trick as well and tend not to go chewy/solid etc.

Anyone else use jelly beans

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Everyone seems to eat jelly babies as a quick glucose shot. I use jelly beans which seem to do the trick as well and tend not to go chewy/solid etc.

Anyone else use jelly beans
I have tried Jelly beans in the past, but found that they took a lot longer to bring my BG up.

Full fat Coke in 150ml cans works really well for me but makes me burp (a lot).

4 x Jelly Babies (20g) is what the Dietician taught us on the IMAGE course in January.

Waiting for the other half to finish with the microwave.

Reactions: hh1 and porl69
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Watching The Blue Lamp, Dirk Bogarde is the baddie :wideyed:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Issues with Jelly Babies so won't use them and am currently worried about the potential microwaving of the fossilised ones or the ones who've come to a sad end in over-heated cars. It's taken several years to recover from the "Where to stick a cocktail stick in a Jelly Baby" episode the year they got accidentally bought for Christingles.

Not having tried Jelly Beans for years, I'm not sure if I like them. I don't ever really remember having them much as a child.

I do use Full Fat Coke or fruit juice for speedy getting carbs in my system asap if I've managed to walk myself down to a 2.7 without realising. But, for the little nudges up from a 3.5 or so, or a bit extra to get me up the last mile home, the Dextro tablets work fine. I don't like the taste of them enough to want more than I need. (Well, not the orange ones. The blackcurrant ones are rather nice...)

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
OK. The results are in.
I compared rock hard Jelly Babies alongside "fresh" ones straight out of the bag in the Great Diabetes Jelly Baby test.

15 seconds
Fresh Jelly Baby (FJB) slightly softer
Stale Jelly Baby (SJB) no discernable effect

30 seconds
FJB: slight wilting around the head and sticking to the plate

SJB: no discernable effect

60 seconds
FJB: Full on "blobbing" to the point of most of them in a snotty heap on the plate. A few like a pyramid shaped Snowman.

SJB: no discernable effect, apart from warm to the touch

90 seconds
FJBs now a pool of liquid
SJBs seem to be growing

Approx 100 to 120 seconds
SJBs start to explode in a spectacular fashion with bits of stone like JB hitting the door like hailstones.

Upon closer examination the contents of the STBs found to be like molten lava.

Conclusions:
1. Stale Jelly Babies probably won't be digested as easily as fresh ones.

2. Exploding Stale Jelly Babies are really hard to scrape off your microwave.

3. Fresh Jelly Babies are very effective for determining the hot spots and cold spots in your microwave oven!

Although dear wife accepted that conclusion 3 was useful... I have now got to buy a new microwave.

Reactions: karen8967

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Capt-Slog I admire your dedication- I would have given up at the 15 second point.
I apologise to Mrs Slog but surely a new microwave is a bonus to the benefits to diabetic science gained by the experiment.

Reactions: hh1

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK. The results are in.
I compared rock hard Jelly Babies alongside "fresh" ones straight out of the bag in the Great Diabetes Jelly Baby test.

15 seconds
Fresh Jelly Baby (FJB) slightly softer
Stale Jelly Baby (SJB) no discernable effect

30 seconds
FJB: slight wilting around the head and sticking to the plate

SJB: no discernable effect

60 seconds
FJB: Full on "blobbing" to the point of most of them in a snotty heap on the plate. A few like a pyramid shaped Snowman.

SJB: no discernable effect, apart from warm to the touch

90 seconds
FJBs now a pool of liquid
SJBs seem to be growing

Approx 100 to 120 seconds
SJBs start to explode in a spectacular fashion with bits of stone like JB hitting the door like hailstones.

Upon closer examination the contents of the STBs found to be like molten lava.

Conclusions:
1. Stale Jelly Babies probably won't be digested as easily as fresh ones.

2. Exploding Stale Jelly Babies are really hard to scrape off your microwave.

3. Fresh Jelly Babies are very effective for determining the hot spots and cold spots in your microwave oven!

Although dear wife accepted that conclusion 3 was useful... I have now got to buy a new microwave.