Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
And if you're covered under an employment plan, what happens to you when you retire?

With the ever increasing number of insulin diabetics in the States, it's fourth world health care

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
We dunno how lucky we are BT.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
What an appalling mess in the USA. Banting will be turning in his grave!!

Reactions: Pasha

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I remember Trump whinging about how the UK get drugs cheaper than the US. I can't help but think that's because they charge so much more in the US.

Interesting story at https://www.drugwatch.com/featured/us-drug-prices-higher-vs-world/

A quote from the article "The problem is a 10 mL bottle of insulin in the U.S. has a list price of about $450." and then "Jane buys her insulin illegally from Canada, where a comparable bottle of insulin costs about $21." This might be a guess, but I can't see Canada subsidising millions of Americans, so is $21 nearer the actual cost.

So is that the manufacturers milking the insurers?

Another interesting quote "

According to a 2015 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report, nearly 5 million Americans bought their prescription medications from other countries in 2013 to save money, despite federal restrictions.

A more recent poll published in November 2016 by Kaiser Family Foundation found 19 million adults in the U.S. imported medication from Canada or other countries.
"

The more you look into this, the more interesting it gets. Another interesting article about what the NHS pays for insulin.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/insulin-costs-nhs-five-times-more-than-it-should-swr32q09q

As already mentioned, thank god for the NHS, especially the staff doing my MRI scan at ten past 6 this evening. I promise to be good. Would you like flowers chocolates?

Reactions: Guzzler

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sure the USA suppliers charge more because the insurance companies will pay, or at least charge up to the amount the insurers will pay. This of course forces up the cost of insurance premiums and is very detrimental to those without insurance.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I supplement my thyroid meds with T3 which I have to buy abroad for approx £40 incl postage for 3 months supply. The NHS will very very rarely prescribe because, the last I heard, it costs well over £800.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just checked to see that this had been picked up. I saw the BBC report.
Be thankful we have the NHS.