bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting question. I’ve never been given any all clear by my doctor, but honestly they’re not interested anyway, as they know I’m doing well. I have rock solid blood glucose, no dawn phenomenon, very low fasting insulin levels and a 0.3 HOMA-IR insulin resistance index, so most definitely not diagnosable as diabetic. I’m pretty certain that I’ll be having a review this summer, so I will discuss being taken off the register. Trouble is I will then have to pay for my own eye tests :watching:

EDIT: come to think of it, my next HbA1c test, which will be markedly lower than the one in my signature, will be my second consecutive result in the non-diabetic range, so I would think an official revoking of my diabetic status will be forthcoming. Either way it’s gone and it’s most assuredly never coming back, because I won’t let it :cool:
They should mark you as "T2 in remission" Which means you should get the requisite checks - eyes, feet and annual HbA1c.

M

Member496333

They should mark you as "T2 in remission" Which means you should get the requisite checks - eyes, feet and annual HbA1c.

Thanks. That’s good to know. I’m only really interested in the eye exams but would still pay annually anyway if necessary.

Reactions: jjraak

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. That’s good to know. I’m only really interested in the eye exams but would still pay annually anyway if necessary.
After 2 1/2 years my lot finally did that in October.. the DN did at least admit "Oo we should have done this a while ago".
I think that makes me one of 16 at my docs out of a diagnosed T2 population of over 1,000... lord knows how many undiagnosed..

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
After 2 1/2 years my lot finally did that in October.. the DN did at least admit "Oo we should have done this a while ago".
I think that makes me one of 16 at my docs out of a diagnosed T2 population of over 1,000... lord knows how many undiagnosed..
Despite my hba1c being at non diabetic levels for approx 5 years whenever I ask my DN if I have reversed my diabetes or am in remission she tells me “no and that I just very well controlled”. However I consider myself to be in remission. When I saw a new GP a couple of months ago and we discussed cholesterol etc and he suggested doing a Q risk assessment he was surprised when I told him I would fail due to my T2 diabetes as he had only looked at my last 3 hba1c results - after he’d trawled through the rest he annotated my file as ‘statin intolerant’ after I pointed out the rise in my hba1c when I started taking them.

Reactions: Viv19

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still wonder about the insurance forms in this scenario. Most regularly this would be holiday insurance, whose wording varies from one company to the next.

Reactions: IronLioness

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Despite my hba1c being at non diabetic levels for approx 5 years whenever I ask my DN if I have reversed my diabetes or am in remission she tells me “no and that I just very well controlled”. However I consider myself to be in remission. When I saw a new GP a couple of months ago and we discussed cholesterol etc and he suggested doing a Q risk assessment he was surprised when I told him I would fail due to my T2 diabetes as he had only looked at my last 3 hba1c results - after he’d trawled through the rest he annotated my file as ‘statin intolerant’ after I pointed out the rise in my hba1c when I started taking them.
Qrisk does my head in. Diabetes 1 or 2 (different causes and risk!) are not differentiated in the assessment, neither is well controlled or scary high numbers, living in the next town over apparently increases or decreases my health too. Height and weight can only be attributable to that blunt bmi measure. Qrisk 3 has added in migraine now. I’ve not seen anything to date to suggest migraine is related to cvd risk, it I’m assuming it’s out there somewhere is they are now using it as a criteria.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
“Managed” is surely the word.

I have high blood pressure or hypertension but my blood pressure is at a managed level. If I stopped the medication right now my blood pressure would go up.

I see those who have had T2 diabetese including myself as still having diabetes but it is being managed by whatever means including dietary control. My doc still treats me like I have it.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think of mine as 'negated'.
Something like the common cold - which I can always catch but only from someone with the virus.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I still wonder about the insurance forms in this scenario. Most regularly this would be holiday insurance, whose wording varies from one company to the next.
I find that T2 diabetes does not add much to the cost - I usually do a join5 one with my husband who does have health issues that can cost if taken ill on holiday and for the last quote I had for 5 days in Jersey his additional health cover was £47.00 and mine £6.00. Quotes for Canada were all about £1,000.00:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Reactions: Siddhantkhankal

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Interesting perspective, so if asked on a say a medical or insurance form whether you have any medical conditions would you list Diabetes?

This is actually a very good point MikeyJ, because there seems to be some grey patch areas on the term 'reverse' - or remission. I'm interested to hear what folk think, as even my own doctor used the term reverse, yet when I asked if that means I no longer have it, his reply was no, I *am* now diabetic, but I can help myself to reduce the risk of complications coming back by staying on track. He was very clear, though, once you get it, you have it, you cannot be 'non diabetic' once you have it.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Congratulations on your success. I can confirm everything you say because over the past 18 months I have brought my BG numbers into manageable remission too. I have gone from steady double figures to well below the target range for type 2 diabetes. My last HbA1c was 42 which resulted in my doctor taking me off the Gliclazide for fear of me going into hypo - which I had been very close to a couple of times. My weight has dropped from 13 stone 11 pounds to 10 stone 12 pounds in 18 months of serious management regarding food intake and what I eat. Also like you, I don't listen to all the hype about curing type 2 with this, that, or the other, but this dreadful disease can certainly be put in its place by good, careful, management. That's the key. It's no good stuffing cakes and lots of carbs, expecting that BGs to be okay and to take care of themselves. They won't be. It's going to always be a two way condition, - self management and medication. However, it can also be self management and diet. I am now working towards that end after the last 14 odd years popping pills. Keep up the good work. I wish I had done it after diagnoses instead of relying totally on pills. A thumbs up from me.

Thanks Keith :) - and well done to you, you sound like you're in 'I'm tackling this' mode too - those are strong numbers you've come down on!
I'm trying to keep myself in check, not let myself get carried away thinking "yeah great it's gone!" because I know it could always come with a vengeance, so my plan is just to take it one step at a time. Its definitely going to be a long-haul-change that needs to be made, but the remission result was a personal win for me. It's the first time I've been *so* serious about changing my life, doing something good for me, and in the bigger picture - consistency with food, gym, reducing stress etc. I turned down the Metformin at diagnosis only because I wanted to try and get a hang of this totally solo, I guess it was a sort of test for myself. I was literally breaking myself and I think the diagnosis honestly was the point where it was a prod from up above to start taking my health seriously. I needed it. I agree with you on the no good stuffing cakes and carbs, I'm definitely out of that mindset, they're literally gone from my life. I went pretty hardcore at diagnosis, but I needed to, to give myself a head start and try build new habits and a new lifestyle. It's working. Current focus is on consistency - this has *always* been my downfall in the past, but I'm genuinely determined to get this under control for as long as is possible to keep the bad repercussions at bay. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Viv19 and MikeyJ

MikeyJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is actually a very good point MikeyJ, because there seems to be some grey patch areas on the term 'reverse' - or remission. I'm interested to hear what folk think, as even my own doctor used the term reverse, yet when I asked if that means I no longer have it, his reply was no, I *am* now diabetic, but I can help myself to reduce the risk of complications coming back by staying on track. He was very clear, though, once you get it, you have it, you cannot be 'non diabetic' once you have it.
I think people use whichever term sits comfortably with them, I personally prefer 'managed or well managed' The term 'reverse' in this context to me means reversal of symptoms not the underlying condition. 'Remission' is probably the most accurate term when you look at the definition i.e. 'a period of time when an illness is less severe or is not affecting someone' but it's a bit too clinical for me. I tend to agree with your doctor, I won't be non-diabetic but I can place myself in non-diabetic range with good control.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think people use whichever term sits comfortably with them, I personally prefer 'managed or well managed' The term 'reverse' in this context to me means reversal of symptoms not the underlying condition. 'Remission' is probably the most accurate term when you look at the definition i.e. 'a period of time when an illness is less severe or is not affecting someone' but it's a bit too clinical for me. I tend to agree with your doctor, I won't be non-diabetic but I can place myself in non-diabetic range with good control.
Yes and I notice @IronLioness that she uses the term “ risk” and I think that sums it up quite well. I am outside of the classification but am still at risk of diabetes returning.

Viv19

Thanks Keith :) - and well done to you, you sound like you're in 'I'm tackling this' mode too - those are strong numbers you've come down on!
I'm trying to keep myself in check, not let myself get carried away thinking "yeah great it's gone!" because I know it could always come with a vengeance, so my plan is just to take it one step at a time. Its definitely going to be a long-haul-change that needs to be made, but the remission result was a personal win for me. It's the first time I've been *so* serious about changing my life, doing something good for me, and in the bigger picture - consistency with food, gym, reducing stress etc. I turned down the Metformin at diagnosis only because I wanted to try and get a hang of this totally solo, I guess it was a sort of test for myself. I was literally breaking myself and I think the diagnosis honestly was the point where it was a prod from up above to start taking my health seriously. I needed it. I agree with you on the no good stuffing cakes and carbs, I'm definitely out of that mindset, they're literally gone from my life. I went pretty hardcore at diagnosis, but I needed to, to give myself a head start and try build new habits and a new lifestyle. It's working. Current focus is on consistency - this has *always* been my downfall in the past, but I'm genuinely determined to get this under control for as long as is possible to keep the bad repercussions at bay. Fingers crossed!

Which just shows how much I have to learn. I had hoped that if I lose lots of weight and really work at the BG levels, I would be able to no longer have T2. Obviously not. Still I’ll aim to lose the meds and the excess kgs and aim for remission.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had hoped that if I lose lots of weight and really work at the BG levels, I would be able to no longer have T2.
I think a lot of us have the same hope in the early days when shock and denial are also strong. Then we settle into our new lives more and realise remission is still a worthy goal.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Which just shows how much I have to learn. I had hoped that if I lose lots of weight and really work at the BG levels, I would be able to no longer have T2. Obviously not. Still I’ll aim to lose the meds and the excess kgs and aim for remission.

I was the same Viv19 the way the Doc talked about "reversing" the diagnosis, I genuinely thought it was a case of losing weight and bringing down BG then it'd be gone. I honestly got v confused with the terminology, until I went back for clarification and he agreed it was more 'remission' than reversal because it'll never go. But your plan for losing meds and going into remission sounds great! Small steps, and onwards to victory! :)