On the morning

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a sort of Pavlovian need for shreddies or porridge or some cereal in the morning. I suppress it and have done successfully since October. But I have to take a tablet with food in the morning and doing so sparks it all up again every day. I’ve tried cheese, a square or two of 90% chocolate, even a couple of spoons of cream. They all work of course but I still spend the next couple of hours struggling with some mad need for carbs. Anyone else get this? Anyone else find a solution? I’m much better off eating nothing but that’s not possible

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ps should be ‘in the morning’. I can handle English prepositions just fine but wrote on an iphone

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Have you tried something with a little more protein? Protein keeps me fuller along with fats so my fave at the moment is one or two Rollitos. That is a slice of ham (peppered ham in this case) rolled up with a slice of Gauda or Edam. Quick and simple.

Edit to add.

Otherwise it's just a matter of patience before you break the carb craving (addiction).
No chance of a full low carb English for breakfast?

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I start most weekdays with some carbs in the form of a protein bar - there’s a couple of various brands that I use that are under 10g carb for the bar. For me it’s more the convenience of the ‘grab and go’ but they have little impact on my BG and so works for me. If you’re keto or very LC then it would be a chunk of carbs you probably don’t want. But it fits in my daily carb limit fine so may be an option to try. I know some can’t tolerate carbs early in the day and BG handles them better later on, so as per the usual advice always given on here, test and see :)

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried something with a little more protein? Protein keeps me fuller along with fats so my fave at the moment is one or two Rollitos. That is a slice of ham (peppered ham in this case) rolled up with a slice of Gauda or Edam. Quick and simple.

Edit to add.

Otherwise it's just a matter of patience before you break the carb craving (addiction).
That's my usual breakfast which I alternate with omelettes with bacon or cheese.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That's my usual breakfast which I alternate with omelettes with bacon or cheese.

Then it sounds like a matter of just being patient, I'm afraid. The craving can take a while to diminish but it does in the end. Stay strong, my friend!

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone would I think I was "Wallace", the amount of cheese I am eating at the moment.
Cheese works for me when I have the munchies....

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a sort of Pavlovian need for shreddies or porridge or some cereal in the morning. I suppress it and have done successfully since October. But I have to take a tablet with food in the morning and doing so sparks it all up again every day. I’ve tried cheese, a square or two of 90% chocolate, even a couple of spoons of cream. They all work of course but I still spend the next couple of hours struggling with some mad need for carbs. Anyone else get this? Anyone else find a solution? I’m much better off eating nothing but that’s not possible

Hi John, how about some Greek yogurt, I sprinkle a teaspoon of muesli type cereal on it (amounts to 2 carbs at the most), it is a very small amount but it somehow trains my mind into thinking it is a lot. Same with pasta, I use 4 tiny pieces of pasta and a load of the low carb sauce, when I eat it it feels like loads. I know it won't work for everyone (especially if your willpower is a little skew whiff) but worth a try? Sometimes I have half a slice of toast too (around 8 carbs), but again it all depends whether you can forgo the other half. x

Reactions: johnme

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Which pill(s)?
For example, when doing the fast the other week I kept on taking the Metformin with no obvious ill effect.

For me, coffee and butter and cream is a breakfast that fills me up and washes down the pills.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@johnme I to have a med to take (twice a day) that requires “a full meal”. I ate either an “oat cake” (oatmeal with egg and soymilk, baked in a skillet, very handy to make ahead for the week) or oatmeal made with orange juice and raisins plus an egg for breakfast, accompanied by seasonal fresh fruit, for decades. No more of Any of those things except the egg. I tried chia pudding, which was ok but didn’t last. Next try, half an avocado with my egg. I’ve found that is something I REALLY enjoy. So every week I hemorrhage cash in the produce department but my tummy is happy!

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Which pill(s)?
For example, when doing the fast the other week I kept on taking the Metformin with no obvious ill effect.

For me, coffee and butter and cream is a breakfast that fills me up and washes down the pills.
I don't take any diabetes medication nowadays. :) This is an anti-coagulant

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@johnme I to have a med to take (twice a day) that requires “a full meal”. I ate either an “oat cake” (oatmeal with egg and soymilk, baked in a skillet, very handy to make ahead for the week) or oatmeal made with orange juice and raisins plus an egg for breakfast, accompanied by seasonal fresh fruit, for decades. No more of Any of those things except the egg. I tried chia pudding, which was ok but didn’t last. Next try, half an avocado with my egg. I’ve found that is something I REALLY enjoy. So every week I hemorrhage cash in the produce department but my tummy is happy!

I love avocados but of course they are very unreliable. Hard as a rock, perfect for about an hour then turning black quicker than a quick thing... so a stock of them is out of the question, don't you think? But you're right about the eggs.

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Edit to add.

Rollitos is a new one on me. Thanks.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love avocados but of course they are very unreliable. Hard as a rock, perfect for about an hour then turning black quicker than a quick thing... so a stock of them is out of the question, don't you think?

You can get frozen avocado (chopped/sliced) which might be worth you investgating?

Robbity

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi John
Its funny when I started eating LC the one meal that Imhad the biggest difficulty with was settling on a breakfast that suited me. I was used to tea and toast and nothing else hit the spot. I can only stomach cooked breakfast maybe once a week ie. traditional or eggs. Then I discovered HiLo bread at Sainsburys which is only 5g a slice so now I have a slice from the freezer toasted, cooled and slathered with nice butter and I am happy. I think there are some low carb crunch cereal recipes out there, might be worth a google. But dont forget to factor in the milk or yogurt! Best wishes.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love avocados but of course they are very unreliable. Hard as a rock, perfect for about an hour then turning black quicker than a quick thing... so a stock of them is out of the question, don't you think? But you're right about the eggs.
I bought some frozen avocado pieces today. Not sure what they will be like though. They are on trial. From Morrisons. Already stoned and skinned. In a 500 gram bag.