1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

On the morning

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by johnme, Mar 15, 2019.

1. johnme

johnme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have a sort of Pavlovian need for shreddies or porridge or some cereal in the morning. I suppress it and have done successfully since October. But I have to take a tablet with food in the morning and doing so sparks it all up again every day. I’ve tried cheese, a square or two of 90% chocolate, even a couple of spoons of cream. They all work of course but I still spend the next couple of hours struggling with some mad need for carbs. Anyone else get this? Anyone else find a solution? I’m much better off eating nothing but that’s not possible

2. johnme

Ps should be ‘in the morning’. I can handle English prepositions just fine but wrote on an iphone

3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Have you tried something with a little more protein? Protein keeps me fuller along with fats so my fave at the moment is one or two Rollitos. That is a slice of ham (peppered ham in this case) rolled up with a slice of Gauda or Edam. Quick and simple.

Edit to add.

Otherwise it's just a matter of patience before you break the carb craving (addiction).
    No chance of a full low carb English for breakfast?

4. Emma_369

Emma_369 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I start most weekdays with some carbs in the form of a protein bar - there’s a couple of various brands that I use that are under 10g carb for the bar. For me it’s more the convenience of the ‘grab and go’ but they have little impact on my BG and so works for me. If you’re keto or very LC then it would be a chunk of carbs you probably don’t want. But it fits in my daily carb limit fine so may be an option to try. I know some can’t tolerate carbs early in the day and BG handles them better later on, so as per the usual advice always given on here, test and see :)

5. malcs90

malcs90 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That's my usual breakfast which I alternate with omelettes with bacon or cheese.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Then it sounds like a matter of just being patient, I'm afraid. The craving can take a while to diminish but it does in the end. Stay strong, my friend!

7. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Anyone would I think I was "Wallace", the amount of cheese I am eating at the moment.
    Cheese works for me when I have the munchies....

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi John, how about some Greek yogurt, I sprinkle a teaspoon of muesli type cereal on it (amounts to 2 carbs at the most), it is a very small amount but it somehow trains my mind into thinking it is a lot. Same with pasta, I use 4 tiny pieces of pasta and a load of the low carb sauce, when I eat it it feels like loads. I know it won't work for everyone (especially if your willpower is a little skew whiff) but worth a try? Sometimes I have half a slice of toast too (around 8 carbs), but again it all depends whether you can forgo the other half. x

• Like Like x 1
  9. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Which pill(s)?
    For example, when doing the fast the other week I kept on taking the Metformin with no obvious ill effect.

For me, coffee and butter and cream is a breakfast that fills me up and washes down the pills.

• Like Like x 1
  10. zauberflote

zauberflote Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

@johnme I to have a med to take (twice a day) that requires “a full meal”. I ate either an “oat cake” (oatmeal with egg and soymilk, baked in a skillet, very handy to make ahead for the week) or oatmeal made with orange juice and raisins plus an egg for breakfast, accompanied by seasonal fresh fruit, for decades. No more of Any of those things except the egg. I tried chia pudding, which was ok but didn’t last. Next try, half an avocado with my egg. I’ve found that is something I REALLY enjoy. So every week I hemorrhage cash in the produce department but my tummy is happy!

• Like Like x 1
  11. johnme

I don't take any diabetes medication nowadays. :) This is an anti-coagulant

12. johnme

I love avocados but of course they are very unreliable. Hard as a rock, perfect for about an hour then turning black quicker than a quick thing... so a stock of them is out of the question, don't you think? But you're right about the eggs.

13. johnme

Rollitos is a new one on me. Thanks.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

You can get frozen avocado (chopped/sliced) which might be worth you investgating?

Robbity

• Like Like x 1
  15. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Expert

Hi John
    Its funny when I started eating LC the one meal that Imhad the biggest difficulty with was settling on a breakfast that suited me. I was used to tea and toast and nothing else hit the spot. I can only stomach cooked breakfast maybe once a week ie. traditional or eggs. Then I discovered HiLo bread at Sainsburys which is only 5g a slice so now I have a slice from the freezer toasted, cooled and slathered with nice butter and I am happy. I think there are some low carb crunch cereal recipes out there, might be worth a google. But dont forget to factor in the milk or yogurt! Best wishes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

I bought some frozen avocado pieces today. Not sure what they will be like though. They are on trial. From Morrisons. Already stoned and skinned. In a 500 gram bag.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Listlad

Missed your post. Yes, I bought some today. Halves.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

These are the ones I bought, which seem to be OK, but I don't eat them "neat" though...

Robbity

• Like Like x 1
  19. Listlad

• Like Like x 1
  20. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

How many times a day do you take it? Just thinking you could change to taking with another meal if only once..

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook