Almost back to normal!

TrevorJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last year I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. At the time I was a little overweight and didn't watch my diet. At the time of diagnosis I had a spike of over 550mg/dl (27.7mmol/L) and my A1C was 12.5%! The doctors were a little worried because I didn't have any other signs, I was fairly active, and my diet was fairly normal. They prescribed Metformin 500mg twice a day.

However I couldn't accept the fact that I was diabetic so I started working out harder than I already was. I began a very low carb diet, trying to stay around 20g of carbs a meal (per doctors orders). Of those carbs I stuck to foods that were low on the Glycemic Index and had a low Glycemic Load. Thanks to the popularity of Keto diet there are a ton of alternative foods out there that taste amazing. In fact I enjoy the way I am eating compared to my old diet. It is more fresh, lean, and makes me feel good.

One year later, I am 45lbs lighter and my A1C is down to 5%. I still watch what I eat because I never want to go back down that road. Now when I eat a 60g carb meal like pasta my blood sugar goes up a little and I am back to normal in an hour or so. The doctors want me to continue with the Metformin once a day as a preventative. I don't know if I have "reversed" my diabetes but I'm optimistic and can't complain about the way I feel. I hate that diabetes is what it took to get me in great physical shape, but in a way it has changed me for the better!

Reactions: nasalu and Antje77

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I hate that diabetes is what it took to get me in great physical shape, but in a way it has changed me for the better!

But it got you there and that is the main thing! We gotta keep ourselves going and keep fighting against this and I am so rooting for you. You doctor us a good 'un too for giving you that advice so keep it up, you're an inspiration!

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2 years ago Hb1ac of 95 it's now 30 and like you I find if I go " normal" ie curry, rice ,Nan say then my bs does go up but not to much. Next day fasting is back down to 5.0.
I'm sure if I ate **** every day I would soon get back to an Hb1ac of 95. It just reassuring that, very occasionally, when I'm invited out I can relax a little.
Well done you, keep up the good work !!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that I could eat more carbs without elevating my blood glucose for hours - it would just get filed away in my cells and I'd be putting on weight as used to be the norm for me whenever told to eat shedloads of 'healthy' carbs. Not going to happen again if I can help it.